Cruisers and Company 80 Series Turbo (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Super interested to see how this product works out. Nice looking kit!

I'd be the guy to instantly want 14lb of boost and take it racing ... So holding off for now. Also not 100% sure it'd clear my coil over towers.

The truck is done, with the exception of some cosmetics, but I've just lost interest.
I have a new project, in the form of a 4x4 E-350 camper build "Jean Claude Damn Van" and that's taken the place in the shop and my primary money pit, with the 80 getting demoted to daily driver status.
I have a lot of love for the 80 and have been a Cruiser guy since 1985, having owned 40's, 45's, a tube frame "55" and a diesel 60.
The 80 has been a nearly ground up build with eventual boost in the plan, starting with a 100% fresh motor, trans and ending with fresh axles, drivelines and brakes.
After the turbo plan went south, I just kinda had the wind sucked from my sails...
Awesome van project! They’re 🤑

IMG_0403.jpeg

The truck is done, with the exception of some cosmetics, but I've just lost interest.
I have a new project, in the form of a 4x4 E-350 camper build "Jean Claude Damn Van" and that's taken the place in the shop and my primary money pit, with the 80 getting demoted to daily driver status.
I have a lot of love for the 80 and have been a Cruiser guy since 1985, having owned 40's, 45's, a tube frame "55" and a diesel 60.
The 80 has been a nearly ground up build with eventual boost in the plan, starting with a 100% fresh motor, trans and ending with fresh axles, drivelines and brakes.
After the turbo plan went south, I just kinda had the wind sucked from my sails...
Bummer but I totally get this...I had a MK4 GTI back in the day that stayed at the shop for almost 2 years...eventually made them buy it from me and walked away at a big loss. At this point, I only buy parts...any work done on my vehicles is pretty much done by me except for the obvious like tire balancing, alignment, etc. that you need real equipment for. That said, you got hosed on parts and that's a real kick in the A-hole.

As far as the turbo kit goes, I wish I was more up to date on things as I was just out passing through Denver for a vacation in Salida with friends last week, would have loved to check this out in person! @Cruisers and Co how's the oil drain plumbed? Do you tap into the block? Had to do this on my other build (not a cruiser) and would be a lot easier with the motor on a stand. I ended up going with a pan that had a fitting welded to it, but only a hair high enough to keep the oil draining properly, especially under boost when it squatted the rear down (fitting on the back side of the pan). I wouldn't expect that to be a problem here, but curious about this part of the install at this point as I'd want to do it ahead of time if the motor's out for a refresh first.

Also, how are the under hood temps when crawling? You have some nice looking shielding which definitely should help! That said, cruisers run hot and I already had to do something about the PS to keep it from whining when getting hot on the slow crawls.

With getting screwed over by the s***’s End Turbo debacle I was so happy I saw this thread earlier today. I reached out to Johnny and had a nice talk about his turbo kit and it was so nice to talk to him on the phone and ask him questions. I will definitely be picking this up for my 80.

PXL_20240124_215051362.PORTRAIT.png

Damn.... yeah... @shellb you chose well is an understatement

For in house installs we don't mind having some cerakoting done

As far as the turbo kit goes, I wish I was more up to date on things as I was just out passing through Denver for a vacation in Salida with friends last week, would have loved to check this out in person! @Cruisers and Co how's the oil drain plumbed? Do you tap into the block? Had to do this on my other build (not a cruiser) and would be a lot easier with the motor on a stand. I ended up going with a pan that had a fitting welded to it, but only a hair high enough to keep the oil draining properly, especially under boost when it squatted the rear down (fitting on the back side of the pan). I wouldn't expect that to be a problem here, but curious about this part of the install at this point as I'd want to do it ahead of time if the motor's out for a refresh first.

Also, how are the under hood temps when crawling? You have some nice looking shielding which definitely should help! That said, cruisers run hot and I already had to do something about the PS to keep it from whining when getting hot on the slow crawls.
Under hood temps have been a non issue so far. Definitely something that should be monitored on hot slow days but with the current amount of insulating wrapping there is, it hasn't been much warmer than I remember before turbo. Bung gets tapped into the upper pan. Its an AN10 two bolt flanged AN fitting with gasket. A template is provided. One could also weld an AN10 bung in as preperation. I walked @reklund5 through where to place a welded bung just the other day. Stop by next time you're on your way through!

Last edited:
1706136688211.jpeg

You're crazy if you don't think that's at least a little bit awesome!

Cool people, making cool stuff...That's the essence of a hobby and likeminded community!

Last edited:
This kit is essentially the exact set up I built except I did the whole intercooler/stand alone route. Imo it’s a pretty proven configuration (HD kit, wits end etc all use the j pipe and no intercooler and it works great). I think the debate about whether 5-7psi is worth while basically settled at this point with the consensus being yes. This kit could also be a great starting point for anyone wanting to move to a stand alone set up with intercooler down the road. Fabbing up the manifold and downpipe is generally the hardest part of this build and it’s nice to see an off the shelf option that is available in the USA.

THAT SAID: Do you have a proper fix for the AC line? It really needs a custom line to get far away from the manifold or it melts. A custom line or even just some fittings to make my own would make me very happy :)

Great news! While I have a 94' OBD I I sure could use some added power. I've only owned my 80 for the past 2 years and more power is my only complaint. Maybe when you guys get it all sorted I could leave her with your shop.

Johnny: I’d be interested in seeing a race with a SCed 80.

You know, for shîts and giggles.

👊👊
I’m in! Who’s local with a SC?!

I’m in! Who’s local with a SC?!
Let's get yours broken in first 😂

Johnny: I’d be interested in seeing a race with a SCed 80.

You know, for shîts and giggles.

👊👊
Who's in the Denver area with a supercharged, built 80 , 35's and 4:10's !?!

If no one then someone with 35's and 4:88's after @shellb is broken in

Try to make it an even race!

THAT SAID: Do you have a proper fix for the AC line? It really needs a custom line to get far away from the manifold or it melts. A custom line or even just some fittings to make my own would make me very happy :)
AC line stays in the same place but... In the kit we supply the heatshielding for the downpipe. What the end user receives is 4 feet of 1/2 thick Heatshield armor and it is really awesome stuff. After following the guide to wrap the down pipe there is enough leftover to wrap that line. We haven't had an issue yet.

This is after an early early morning long WOT pull up I70 pulling off and popping the hood when it was still pitch black out, ground below is lit by the control 80 behind me. Hasn't melted yet and that was months ago. You can see the Heatshield wrap on that line. You can also see the wrap on the down pipe and the absolute black where the turbo beanie is trapping all the heat
PXL_20230917_113920621.jpg

Great job to you and your team Johnny! Love seeing you contribute these sort of options to the 80 community. If my truck survives the wetness of the UK, I'll be stopping on by your shop for a little added spiciness!

If this came with an ecu and a base tune, I’d be stoked, because someone’s actually trying to make a properly set up kit. This kits just a few degrees away from a wits end kit or a HD automotive kit. It works but it doesn’t work as well as it could.

Now a kit with an ecu and base tune would work, but

it doesn't work as well as it could if it had stand alone ecu, distributorless ignition, injectors, crank position sensor, cam angle sensor, throttle body, could over plugs . . .

And down the rabbit hole it goes 😁

it doesn't work as well as it could if it had stand alone ecu, distributorless ignition, injectors, crank position sensor, cam angle sensor, throttle body, could over plugs . . .

You forgot the extra couple $k to make that happen

It's really easy to turbo any OBD1 80 series. You don't have to have any of that stuff. You just remove the ECU, distributor, and change the spark plugs out for no spark plugs by installing a 5.9 Cummins lol.

You forgot the extra couple $k to make that happen

Not at all.

I think what you're offering looks great, and will wake up an fzfe in s way that the majority of people wanting a turbo will be happy with.

Can things be done "better"? Sure. There's always room for improvement IF someone is willing to pay the bill. There's always many ways to achieve a similar result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom