Land Cruiser 80 Series 3D Scans (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am back from the university exams and will look into any post I have missed :D

This is awesome. I've been working on similar with the same scanner. I did a full scan of the interior, front seats back, with my ARB drawers in. I'm planning to use it to design an interior storage system in front of my drawers. The file of 3 files overlaid and meshed is 200+ GB. I'm going to build a computer with 128gb of RAM unless I can figure out another way to get the files to open/mesh (16GB RAM can't even reopen my interior scan). I also tried doing the roof and gutters for a tent I was planning on designing, but ran into similar issues with the clarity of fine details in the rails.
Foot powder spray and 3d scan dots helped me get a full scan of the roof, though I'm not sure its very useful data.

At 200GB you have way too much data for it to be worth it in my opinion. I can tell you 128 gb won't last long... I am at 64gb and get some lag even on smaller scans...

I have made a scan of the opening in the stock front bumper. I had also started with a sheet metal bracket for lights or to mount a quick release fitting for the air compressor. Now I have noticed that the bumper is bent. So that was a waste of time :D

1695542223258.png

This cool - thanks for offering this The299! Are you able to scan the right front quarter panel of your '96, including up the A-pillar to the roof? For a 3D printed snorkel design that I want to play with...

I've been looking for a cheap (ish) replacement for these interior carpet clips. Mine are busted... Wits' End has replacements but they're ~17 bucks a piece and I figured it'd be easier (and cheaper) to 3D print myself. View attachment 3414612
Those are so simple to draw... i don't think their worth the effort of scanning :) But that is just my opinion!
Anyway, i remembered that i saw these somewhere available to download for free, 2 minutes of google and : Landcruiser 80 Series Rear Plastic Step Cover Screw Toyota Part #90467-04020 by AmericanWest - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5206421
Hope this helps, but remember we need shops and enthusiasts like Wits' End to keep on making things that sometimes can't be bought elsewhere to keep our trucks a life ;)

Last edited:
@The299
Thanks for this, I really appreciate it. Here's the file with the locations of the tailgate holes, I had a test pattern cut to verify they were correct. All were correct within 0.5mm. Also the units on this file is millimeters.

How do I get this added to the resources section?

Attachments

• 80series Landcruiser Tailgate Hole Locations.dxf
    541 KB · Views: 68
Any plans to 3D scan a headlight? It is something I plan to do at some point, but I still need to get my hands on a scanner to utilize

I've been looking for a cheap (ish) replacement for these interior carpet clips. Mine are busted... Wits' End has replacements but they're ~17 bucks a piece and I figured it'd be easier (and cheaper) to 3D print myself.
Did you ever get a 3d file of these, and if you did, are you willing to share?

Any chance you could scan the front turning signals, particularly the lens?

I want to use that space to make a custom insert for a small lightbar

You should be able to cover any reflective areas with baby powder. You don't have to use the expensive special sprays they offer.

I have tried to get the area in front of the window but the scan is pretty much unusable no matter what i do.

The scanner is pretty picky with colours. Too shiny and i get artifacts. Too dark and it wont pick up any geometry. There are some things that that I can do to mitegate the issues. For instance i can use a spray to reduce reflectivness. I used that on the window itsself. But that is expensive and the applied layer might cause issues if you need to work with that area. An uneven layer can throw off a construction plane for example.

Clicking on his name shows he hasn't logged in since October 12th. Hopefully he checks back in sometime soon.

Actually i was already thinking about that!
But "Absolute wits end" do already have a good solution in my opinion and I appreciate that effort.
There are quite a few areas on the 80 that are not supported at all and I want to focus on that rather than to create (more) competition on a already small market.
@The@299
Would you reconsider scanning the inside of the right rear quarter?

Wits End Order Issues / Joey Romero Thread - Page 28
It appears the Wit's end parts are no longer available, making this area of the vehicle unsupported.

Now might be my time to make a useful contribution to this forum after all the times it helped me.
I have a few days off from college and I want to spend that time using my new 3D Scanner ( Shining 3D Einstar).

What parts or areas of the 80 Series would you like to have scanned?

Please keep in mind the following when suggesting (to be updated):
I have a 96 USDM FZJ80 but I might have access to a EU-Spec 91 HDJ80. I can only scan what I have (access to).
Just a flat geometry or reflective parts won't work well with the scanner I have.
It is a "hobby grade" scanner and I am still learning how to use it, so adjust your expectations accordingly.
You will need a beefy computer to make use of the files.
The part or area in question should be bigger or similar in size to an iPad. Smaller than this and the accuracy will drop...
The file will be just a bunch of points in 3d space and not a parametric model. If there is popular demand for a certain scan, I could turn it into a parametric model but that will take some time.
I can only scan features that are in line of sight and I need some space to move the scanner. E.g. no scan of the trans tunnel is possible without taking the trans out.

An Example for suitable parts or areas would be the rear bumper corner or the transmission bell housing (in the removed state).

The side panels of the late style steering wheel! I want to use one of these to make an adapter for a steering wheel-mounted audio control stalk.

Prost! @The299

Awesome thread you've created. Appreciate the time & effort you've put in for the community.
I have no use for these scans for now, but hopefully will one day!

I’ve been looking into this scanner. I have lots of experience with laser scanners and photogrammetry and associated software, but not the CAD software. That’s an area I’d like to learn. What kind of file does this kick out? Is it a point cloud? What format?

I can help reduce meshes and subsample large point clouds, constantly doing it for my day job. I have a 128gb machine, max it out all the time! Let me know if I can help anyone.

hey @The299 , when you get some free time would you be able to scan the rear passenger quarter panel? thinking about an open source drawing for quarter panel storage on thingverse and thought it would be cool to have a 3D scan people can readily access if they wanted to tweak the drawing to suit their needs and test interference!

I've been looking for a cheap (ish) replacement for these interior carpet clips. Mine are busted... Wits' End has replacements but they're ~17 bucks a piece and I figured it'd be easier (and cheaper) to 3D print myself. View attachment 3414612
Literally paid like $4 a piece or something like that a couple days ago from my local toyota dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom