Cruisers and Company 80 Series Turbo (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're right. You could use a 6.7 Cummins for about the same investment. Thanks for setting me straight!
1000ft/lb of torque.

...That poor driveline.

1000ft/lb of torque.

...That poor driveline.

Yeah, but AWD means you're drivelines and diffs only see half. In actual use the 80 t-case, drivelines and axles don't seem to care one bit if they are fed a very high torque diet. And the pedal doesn't have to go all the way to the floor all the time.

Yeah, but AWD means you're drivelines and diffs only see half. In actual use the 80 t-case, drivelines and axles don't seem to care one bit if they are fed a very high torque diet. And the pedal doesn't have to go all the way to the floor all the time.
Stock driveline doesn't stand up to a 6BT well, especially the front shafts. Witnessed a pair of breaks personally on a converted truck and Torfab has commented it's a significant problem. I can't imagine that more torque would make that better. And if you have to baby something after a swap, why bother?

Off topic though.

Stock driveline doesn't stand up to a 6BT well, especially the front shafts. Witnessed a pair of breaks personally on a converted truck and Torfab has commented it's a significant problem. I can't imagine that more torque would make that better. And if you have to baby something after a swap, why bother?

Off topic though.
I've never heard Tor say this. There's 60+ 5.9 Cummins powered 80's running around in the USA, many with 50k+ miles on the swap and no issues whatsoever with the front axleshafts. Sounds very "sky is falling" type response to me.

So you’ve never uttered “Hold my Beer’ ?

This kit is essentially the exact set up I built except I did the whole intercooler/stand alone route. Imo it’s a pretty proven configuration (HD kit, wits end etc all use the j pipe and no intercooler and it works great). I think the debate about whether 5-7psi is worth while basically settled at this point with the consensus being yes. This kit could also be a great starting point for anyone wanting to move to a stand alone set up with intercooler down the road. Fabbing up the manifold and downpipe is generally the hardest part of this build and it’s nice to see an off the shelf option that is available in the USA.

THAT SAID: Do you have a proper fix for the AC line? It really needs a custom line to get far away from the manifold or it melts. A custom line or even just some fittings to make my own would make me very happy :)
Yes!!! I’ve had AC issues since the turbo install. That line does need some work.

Maybe a heat shield?

Wits End kit.

I do have the turbo blanket, down pipe blanket, & heat wrap around the AC line.
I added 2 layers of fiberglass wrap (DEI Fire Sleeve and Firewrap 3000), then finished with the Wit's End supplied heat wrap and have not had any issues with my AC line. I used DEI Firewrap and Fire Sleeve on other lines and hoses as well.

Wits End kit.

I do have the turbo blanket, down pipe blanket, & heat wrap around the AC line.
I would look at some of the Heatshield Products heatshield armor. They make it in a few configurations and having used the 1/2" thick stuff it works really well.

That’s what I did but I had to mangle the firewall fitting pretty good to do it and I’ve never been quite happy with it. The custom line I made routes nicely under the air box but it really needs a custom fitting.
Reason I mentioned it because with ls swaps we make new lined to convert over to match the gm ac compressor. @cruisermatt I believe has made adapter at the fire wall not sure if it would work in this situation just adding additional tech if it's needed to be addressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom