Land Cruiser 80 Series 3D Scans (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're still looking for things to scan, the top portion of the dashboard would be really helpful. Particularly where the combination meter hump meets the flat portion on in middle/ passenger side.

Also, I was able to get this open in OnShape but it's having trouble exporting into STEP or other formats. Is there a good program to use to open scan data like this and work with it?

If you're still looking for things to scan, the top portion of the dashboard would be really helpful. Particularly where the combination meter hump meets the flat portion on in middle/ passenger side.

Also, I was able to get this open in OnShape but it's having trouble exporting into STEP or other formats. Is there a good program to use to open scan data like this and work with it?
I am still looking for things to scan. Some things like the bumper are might have to wait until I have time to dissasemble and when I dont need the car. Other than that i do have to learn for exams...

I use Autodesk Fusion 360, mostly because it is free, a robust cad programm for what I need at the moment and there is lots of tutorials available.

the area you mentioned and the tailgates in the closed position from the inside should be done until the next weekend

The floor pan area area in front of the drivers seat with the front seat bolts would be awesome. Also the floor pan/footwell area by the low range shift column/center console would be cool. I’d like to design up a flashlight mount similar to the wits end fire extinguisher mounts.

Also the underside rear where the spare mounts from the factory (with the spare removed). Lots of space to design tanks or other things into that area. It would be great to try to get as much detail of the frame and members in that area to design brackets and such that bolt into them.

the Dashboard can't happen if the front glass is in place. There is too little room for a clean scan and I can't scan trough the glass.

I do have a lra auxiliary tank fitted to my car and the frame are mentioned is not accessible at the moment.

Sorry about that.

The scan for the louver is done. The louver itsself is broken, I will scan it when I have the new part.
I figured out why it was so slow in Fusion 360 and changed the export settings so you dont need a supercomputer from nasa to open it :D
Next I will look into the tailgate.
Nice work and thanks! I was able to upload within a minute and open in in 360. Now I just need to watch days of videos on how to overlay parts in 360 LOL... That and figure out how to resize, a quick check shows the height of the window @ 170". Pretty sure an easy fix.

1693317444555.png

pretty good detail.
1693332486611.png

The actual part would be huge and any chance of getting the section in front of the slider window with it and the door open? From about the same area on the bottom to just above the rain gutter?
IMG_5035.jpeg

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have tried to get the area in front of the window but the scan is pretty much unusable no matter what i do.

The scanner is pretty picky with colours. Too shiny and i get artifacts. Too dark and it wont pick up any geometry. There are some things that that I can do to mitegate the issues. For instance i can use a spray to reduce reflectivness. I used that on the window itsself. But that is expensive and the applied layer might cause issues if you need to work with that area. An uneven layer can throw off a construction plane for example.

The distance and orientation are correct when i open the file... You should be able to resize in fusion 360. A good ressource for tutorials is LearnEverythingAboutDesign on youtube.

1693344161073.png

Would you be interested in scanning the rear quarter panel area behind the trim on the passenger side?
Actually i was already thinking about that!
But "Absolute wits end" do already have a good solution in my opinion and I appreciate that effort.
There are quite a few areas on the 80 that are not supported at all and I want to focus on that rather than to create (more) competition on a already small market.

I've been looking for a cheap (ish) replacement for these interior carpet clips. Mine are busted... Wits' End has replacements but they're ~17 bucks a piece and I figured it'd be easier (and cheaper) to 3D print myself.
Clips 1.jpg

I have tried to get the area in front of the window but the scan is pretty much unusable no matter what i do.
This view looks great! The outward surface area is all I needed. Not even concerned about the interior of the door, just figured the whole area would be nice. Is that a file you can upload?

1693408883244.png

Might be approaching the size limitations but the trunk area + wheel wells with the carpet removed would be pretty useful for people trying to make slideouts and such.

The scanner is pretty picky with colours. Too shiny and i get artifacts. Too dark and it wont pick up any geometry. There are some things that that I can do to mitegate the issues. For instance i can use a spray to reduce reflectivness. I used that on the window itsself. But that is expensive and the applied layer might cause issues if you need to work with that area. An uneven layer can throw off a construction plane for example.

Powdered foot spray works well for this. It's cheaper than the official 'scanning spray' stuff and pretty easy to clean off of metal.

The rear bumper attachment area, and the side. would be perfect for 3D designing rear bumpers.

Same for the front would be really useful.
This would be real convenient. I am currently try to design a rear bumper

or could you scan a bumper you can buy ( like 4x4 labs ) so we could make it ourselves. If you have one :)

(might b stealing )

This is awesome. I've been working on similar with the same scanner. I did a full scan of the interior, front seats back, with my ARB drawers in. I'm planning to use it to design an interior storage system in front of my drawers. The file of 3 files overlaid and meshed is 200+ GB. I'm going to build a computer with 128gb of RAM unless I can figure out another way to get the files to open/mesh (16GB RAM can't even reopen my interior scan). I also tried doing the roof and gutters for a tent I was planning on designing, but ran into similar issues with the clarity of fine details in the rails.
Foot powder spray and 3d scan dots helped me get a full scan of the roof, though I'm not sure its very useful data.

• Wow
Reactions: CJK
@The299 Thanks for this I really appreciate it, I had been looking for this info (in digital form) for a while. I hope to have a part made to verify the hole locations soon. I'll reach out when I know I've got all the holes accurately located so the tailgate hole info can be added to the resources section as well.
Would you be interested in scanning the rear quarter panel area behind the trim on the passenger side?
Actually i was already thinking about that!
But "Absolute wits end" do already have a good solution in my opinion and I appreciate that effort.
There are quite a few areas on the 80 that are not supported at all and I want to focus on that rather than to create (more) competition on a already small market.
The "Absolute Wits End" solution (Quarter Panel Mount, 80 Series) is great for mounting something in that space, I agree, but I'm looking for the same scan info to make an easily removable cover for that area to use it as tool storage using the factory mounting holes, very similar to tailgate storage. I'm not looking to mount anything there so I wouldn't consider it competition.

With the interior rear quarter panel scan info, combined with the rear taillight scan info, maybe someone could design one of these (pricey but very slick) for an 80 series:
HIDDEN TAILLIGHT DRAWER GIVES YOU SECRET STORAGE IN YOUR PICKUP TRUCK

This is awesome. I've been working on similar with the same scanner. I did a full scan of the interior, front seats back, with my ARB drawers in. I'm planning to use it to design an interior storage system in front of my drawers. The file of 3 files overlaid and meshed is 200+ GB. I'm going to build a computer with 128gb of RAM unless I can figure out another way to get the files to open/mesh (16GB RAM can't even reopen my interior scan). I also tried doing the roof and gutters for a tent I was planning on designing, but ran into similar issues with the clarity of fine details in the rails.
Foot powder spray and 3d scan dots helped me get a full scan of the roof, though I'm not sure its very useful data.
See the solution I used below, it may work for you. If you are able to post the full scan of the roof, please let us know.

FYI for anyone using this scan data :
I tried using the info in Onshape and was able to import it but it never rendered, Onshape support (which has always been great) said the 10+ million data points would take a long time to render. So ended up converting the file to a .stl and importing it into Openscad. I think it took 45-60 minutes to convert the over 260mb .obj file to a .stl file (I'm not sure as I downloaded a file converter, set it up the conversion and came back after it was complete). In Openscad it took 15-18 seconds to render (every time it rendered) but it did work well, even on an older computer that only had 10gb of RAM. I located all the mounting points and exported that to a DXF which Onshape had no problems with.
Fusion360 may or may not work better, I don't have it and don't use it at all and prefer Onshape for reasons not pertinent to this thread.

@The299:
I'm glad the file was that big, having all the detail helped a lot once I figured out how to deal with the size. Thank you again.

This is game changing. Can you scan the inner space of the cup holder attached to the center console? I have been working on refining my design for a 3D printed friction fit insert arm rest for the driver, and I used "Primitive" measuring techniques to get the inner volume right!

I have been lagging on updating my thread as I am afraid its too janky to share with you perfectionist mudders. But this would make it really easily repeatable and accurate!

Super cool stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom