Project Rosie Ruby the Poverty Princess (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruisers and Co

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruisersandcompany.com
Rosie Ruby is a 3H4 Medium Red K292 1997 Fzj80 full blown poverty pack edition... No lockers, fabric interior, no roof rack, no rub rails and most importantly no sunroof.

She's a rare beaut...

PXL_20231226_184011708.jpg

@shellb has an eye for these beauts. When he saw her on the craigslist he had to have her and immediately contacted the owner to work out a deal. A new chapter was starting for Rosie Ruby and pretty soon she was on a transport from Arizona to Colorado. Upon getting to Colorado @shellb knew she needed some love. With nearly 250K miles on her she was dirty, tired, underpowered and in need of some enhancements. Chance had it that @shellb stopped into a neighboring business, Air Down Gear Up (ran by @suprarx7nut) and stumbled upon us, the new shop in town Cruisers and Company. After some online searching @shellb reached out to us, decided to stop by to meet us and see what directions Rosie Ruby could potentially go. We formulated a game plan and pretty soon we had a heading....

Phase 1: Overall health check and some Eaton E-lockers... K292 K294

To start this project off we decided a compression test was the correct thing to do before diving into anything else. Was the mighty 1FZ in Rosie that tired or was there more at play here? I could tell something was off by listening to the old gal and after testing all 6 cylinders with rapidly dropping compression numbers we knew we needed a more in depth look at was going on. Out came the leakdown tester, straight to cylinder #6, which was the lowest, and shockingly it was so bad that I had second thoughts about my OTC tester and checked the gauge on cylinder 1 and then double checked cylinder 1 of my own, known to be extremely healthy, 97 LX450 to really make sure the gauge didn't just flat out die. It seemed the gauge was reading correctly so I set cylinder 6 up again and got the same results... 90 PSI in, Holding 20 PSI... YIKES this was not looking good. Removed the leakdown tester, dropped the piston to the bottom of it's stroke and sent in the borescope....

IMG_0011.JPG

Yup... Burnt Valves... Sent an email with some photos and gave a shout over to @shellb with the bad news. This was a major development and not exactly what either of us had hoped to find. Some ideas were tossed around on what we could do for Rosie's heart... At the end of the day it was decided we'd move forward with the lockers and circle back to the motor in Phase 2. Rosie will have 35's here soon and during the locker install we added 4:88's, a solid spacer, and a complete knuckle job to the work order for some mechanically fresh axles. In the interior @shellb opted to use the OEM dial, which we tied into the factory wiring so that the dash functioned properly, to create a clean OEM look. The Eaton electronics were mounted high up on the driver side firewall to keep them away from any water and heat. Whipped up a quick stainless bracket on our plasma table for those electronics and the installation was complete.

PXL_20231226_211507993.PORTRAIT.jpg

Great write up so far. Can't wait to see how this build turns out.

Yes! Here we go…I haven’t “built” a rig in awhile.

This will be a total stripper, errr sleeper!

Super happy to be partnering with Johnny on this one.

He’s getting his business off the ground and 5 mins away from me. Feel fortunate enough to be a part of that journey.

Lots to come and lots of people to thank along the way!

Last edited:
Nice Johnny. Can’t wait to see the progress on this.

And old @shellb needs to take you to sushi in Boulder. 😂😂
🤣🤣 it’s going to take a lot more than a wicked 80 build for me to buy Boulder sushi!

Johnny has is work cut out for him…you’re welcome any time 😂

Nice! I’ve been waiting for this story to surface. Excited to follow along; looks to be a fun one.

The people have spoken... more photos! Mid regear and like @shellb said we are just getting our operation off the ground and our shop is a bit tight for a lift so for now we are struggling on the ground. I do have to say that regearing is one of the most therapeutic things I get to do. It's a process... abcd..., and done right it is satisfying every time. If shortcuts are taken you can waste hours chasing your tail. This pattern is bit shallow here in this photo and not where I left it. A few thou deeper and it was spot on 👌🏻
6Y4A4248-1.jpg

6Y4A4277.jpg

Last edited:
@PHXClassicIron and @JAGarchtitect please tell me the owner before you guys is on mud... 3 generations of owners in one thread is crazy but 4.... epic haha

I can tell you she is definitely getting some significant upgrades and a new lease on life with the mighty 1F Zed

With Phase 1 well and truly done at this point let's talk about Phase 2 which shall be named

Boy, that escalated quickly...

PXL_20231218_230028191.jpg

The heart and sole of Rosie wasn't going to be up to the task with low compression and extremely poor leak down results. There was nothing to do at this point but yank the drivetrain and start fresh.

PXL_20231219_174938417.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom