Land Cruiser 80 Series 3D Scans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now might be my time to make a useful contribution to this forum after all the times it helped me.
I have a few days off from college and I want to spend that time using my new 3D Scanner ( Shining 3D Einstar).

What parts or areas of the 80 Series would you like to have scanned?

Please keep in mind the following when suggesting (to be updated):
I have a 96 USDM FZJ80 but I might have access to a EU-Spec 91 HDJ80. I can only scan what I have (access to).
Just a flat geometry or reflective parts won't work well with the scanner I have.
It is a "hobby grade" scanner and I am still learning how to use it, so adjust your expectations accordingly.
You will need a beefy computer to make use of the files.
The part or area in question should be bigger or similar in size to an iPad. Smaller than this and the accuracy will drop...
The file will be just a bunch of points in 3d space and not a parametric model. If there is popular demand for a certain scan, I could turn it into a parametric model but that will take some time.
I can only scan features that are in line of sight and I need some space to move the scanner. E.g. no scan of the trans tunnel is possible without taking the trans out.

An Example for suitable parts or areas would be the rear bumper corner or the transmission bell housing (in the removed state).

Maybe the mounting surface and inside of the rear louvers, one side would do as long as it could be mirrored. Not much has been done to replace this plastic and I have been wanting to replace with a more rigid aluminum or steel mount. I have been wanting to mount the MTB off the driver side sliding window area for a while now.
1692508318841.png

If you remove yours, make sure to follow this thread so you don't bust the upper mounts.
Otherwise a scan of the headlight mount both inner headlight and the mounting.

My louver is broken as well, so it is already off.
I can do that tomorrow.
I will leave the window in if you don't mind.

I do still need to figure out how to share the files properly

The inside of the wing mirrors could be quite useful i think? You’d need one that doesn’t have a busted plastic clip…. I think I’m thinking about that one correctly….

I do have a spare a343 laying around. So I can scan the converter as well.

I might spend time to get the trans and bellhousing clean and scan it. Maybe someone who does a drivetrain swap might need it
The torque converter, I don't need it but it would be neat to see it

Thanks for offering to to this, we really appreciate it.

Two places I'd like to see scanned are (hopefully they are popular enough for a model):
1. The holes in the tailgate (where the carpet is mounted).
2. The roof rails (at least on one side). I don't need the area between them on the roof. I'd like a scan because I suspect there is some curve to them towards the front above the front doors and I'd like to make a roof rack and make uprights to sit in the roof rail channel. I could make a cardboard template, but I'd like to have the rails laser cut and it would be difficult to relay all the cardboard measurements to CAD software.

The tailgate scan I think is more helpful as it would be more difficult to get all those holes correct.

The scan for the louver is 433mb
I think it would make sense to upload it to the ressources section. How do i upload there? I cant seem to finde a button for that...

Thanks for offering to to this, we really appreciate it.

Two places I'd like to see scanned are (hopefully they are popular enough for a model):
1. The holes in the tailgate (where the carpet is mounted).
2. The roof rails (at least on one side). I don't need the area between them on the roof. I'd like a scan because I suspect there is some curve to them towards the front above the front doors and I'd like to make a roof rack and make uprights to sit in the roof rail channel. I could make a cardboard template, but I'd like to have the rails laser cut and it would be difficult to relay all the cardboard measurements to CAD software.

The tailgate scan I think is more helpful as it would be more difficult to get all those holes correct.

It wont work well on the roof rails. it is a fairly small target to hit and the recessed areas will produce unreliable data. Look at he screenshot where the window frame meets the body. It picked up hardly any detail there despite me trying to get them. If you make a cardboard template and make a top down photo if that, then you can import it into the cad software of your choice and fit a spline.

Regarding the tailgate, do you mean the holes that the carpet clips into or those for the service covers?

Thanks for the feedback on the roof rails.

For the tailgate, I'm looking for the carpet clip holes. I don't need great resolution, I'm really just looking for the centers of the holes relative to the other holes.

1692693453831.png

The scan for the louver is done. The louver itsself is broken, I will scan it when I have the new part.
I figured out why it was so slow in Fusion 360 and changed the export settings so you dont need a supercomputer from nasa to open it :D
Next I will look into the tailgate.

Has anyone made use of the upper tailgate for modifications? I do only know if n4 in France who put maxtraxs on the outside.

If not then a complete scan of the upper tailgate would be high on my priority list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom