Cruisers and Company 80 Series Turbo (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are not the only genius to 3 link an 80. If you are all about design and development then you ought to know better and support those who are trying. Because I don't see you posting anything about a production turbo kit built to what you imagine it could be.
Of course not, but I’m once of the few dudes who did it themselves and put out all of the information they could. If this came with an ecu and a base tune, I’d be stoked, because someone’s actually trying to make a properly set up kit. This kits just a few degrees away from a wits end kit or a HD automotive kit. It works but it doesn’t work as well as it could.

CJ when i get my Tubro put on ill be happy to take you for a spin so you can tell me im stoopid and throw money at dumb race car parts.

I'm confident that the product, delivery and performance will speak for itself.

Look everyone should be thankful that we have people supporting our hobby in a real, life/wage earning way.

I don't understand the "hater attitude", candidly its not productive and doesn't make anyone look good. You know the saying...never argue with a fool, those from a distance can't tell who is who.

I get its a sensitive topic, but hopefully we can appreciate they have approached the market in a very different way, spending cash to provide kits that are ready for delivery vs having the community fund working capital. Its a meaningful move in the right direction for all enthusiasts.

Can't wait for @Cruisers and Co to post pics of my ugly down pipe!!

@Cruisers and Co do you guys have any ideas/thoughts for those of us living in emissions regulated counties?

@Cruisers and Co do you guys have any ideas/thoughts for those of us living in emissions regulated counties?
We'll know very soon if it gets through Colorado emissions but the carb eo process for the Cali people is going to take a while. All EGR remains intact, all monitors are in a ready state

I'm confident that the product, delivery and performance will speak for itself.

Look everyone should be thankful that we have people supporting our hobby in a real, life/wage earning way.

I don't understand the "hater attitude", candidly its not productive and doesn't make anyone look good. You know the saying...never argue with a fool, those from a distance can't tell who is who.

I get its a sensitive topic, but hopefully we can appreciate they have approached the market in a very different way, spending cash to provide kits that are ready for delivery vs having the community fund working capital. Its a meaningful move in the right direction for all enthusiasts.

Can't wait for @Cruisers and Co to post pics of my ugly down pipe!!
The fact that people will get a product and not have their money stolen is inarguably a step in the right direction

This is a quality kit.
This is a option for people who want a modern feel with their 80 but don't want to do a motor swap. This kit is great because it comes with minimal head ache. With this it still is very oem. You don't have to worry about diagnosing a problem when the motor isn't running correctly and u need a laptop to plug in the aftermarket ecu. Then you have the aftermarket fuel system parts that may not last as lone as oem parts and if you have to replace them they may not be available and cant find the exact same parts. This is very user friendly with out going full race car. @Cruisers and Co coming from working in both race car and Land Cruiser shops this is fantastic!

5-7 psi will wake up any engine. Intercooler is not required at that boost.

This is a good looking kit to start with, as are most turbo kits offered.
Starter, just like a car from the factory. If we are not happy with the performance we try and enhance it. Same with this kit.

If you think an intercooler is going to improve performance at a setting of 5-7 psi then you need to do more research on how turbos/proper sizing and efficiency maps work.

Keep up the great work Cruiser and Co🍻

This looks great and should be perfect for the vast majority of 80 owners. Less expensive, far quicker and infinitely easier than a V8 swap of any kind, plus you get a cool gauge or two to look at and whooshing sounds. Lots of room to build on as well. What's not to like?

I wonder how far the stock map could go? Has anyone ever looked into a piggyback fuel controller, like the old SAFC's from APEXi? I had one on an old SR20DET swapped 240SX that worked great with an injector and turbo upgrade.

@Cruisers and Co assume you are using high octane fuel. What change in MPG have you noticed?

Thanks for putting work into this. It's high on my list of future purchases.

How about a goodwill discount for those of us who would love a turbo, bought a turbo and were financially sodomized by that other guy and never got a turbo...? 😜

How about a goodwill discount for those of us who would love a turbo, bought a turbo and were financially sodomized by that other guy and never got a turbo...? 😜
Damn man, that sucks so bad.

We could swap rigs for a few months if that would be helpful! :)

Last edited:
Of course not, but I’m once of the few dudes who did it themselves and put out all of the information they could. If this came with an ecu and a base tune, I’d be stoked, because someone’s actually trying to make a properly set up kit. This kits just a few degrees away from a wits end kit or a HD automotive kit. It works but it doesn’t work as well as it could.

The group that is looking for a turbo kit with an aftermarket ECU is a niche group, and those in that group would have very strong preferences on the standalone ECUs they want to use. Do you see where this is going, and how that would limit the size of potential customers by targeting a niche group?

This kit was designed for those looking to get into a turbo without having to commit to a standalone ECU, and that potentially distructive learning curve. I understand that this kit isn't for you, but I don't think they had guys like you in mind when they designed this kit. Go make your own turbo manifold! :p

Damn man, that sucks so bad.

We could swap rigs for a few months it that would be helpful! :)
In all honesty, I'm done with the 80 world and mines for sale come spring, as long as the market doesn't completely tank...

I'm just happy to see someone out there, who's NOT a pirate, offering a boost solution for the 1FZfe platform.

A few gentlemen from that unfortunate group have reached out about turbo's. I would like to help those in that were taken advantage of. Call me if you'd like to chat about a kit.
In all honesty, I'm done with the 80 world and mines for sale come spring, as long as the market doesn't completely tank...

I'm just happy to see someone out there, who's NOT a pirate, offering a boost solution for the 1FZfe platform.
There will never be another Toyota like the 80... Are you sure about that decision? I hope you choose to keep it!

This looks great and should be perfect for the vast majority of 80 owners. Less expensive, far quicker and infinitely easier than a V8 swap of any kind, plus you get a cool gauge or two to look at and whooshing sounds. Lots of room to build on as well. What's not to like?

I wonder how far the stock map could go? Has anyone ever looked into a piggyback fuel controller, like the old SAFC's from APEXi? I had one on an old SR20DET swapped 240SX that worked great with an injector and turbo upgrade.

@Cruisers and Co assume you are using high octane fuel. What change in MPG have you noticed?

Thanks for putting work into this. It's high on my list of future purchases.
Yes, running premium. The mileage question is so loaded... Keeping the right foot off the go pedal is very hard! Mileage when cruising flats is the same, grades it's a bit worse but still for the most part my truck lives in the 10-12 range maybe lived in the 11-13 range before turbo

The group that is looking for a turbo kit with an aftermarket ECU is a niche group, and those in that group would have very strong preferences on the standalone ECUs they want to use. Do you see where this is going, and how that would limit the size of potential customers by targeting a niche group?

This kit was designed for those looking to get into a turbo without having to commit to a standalone ECU, and that potentially distructive learning curve. I understand that this kit isn't for you, but I don't think they had guys like you in mind when they designed this kit. Go make your own turbo manifold! :p
You’re right, this kit is not for me. I’m picky and I expect a lot out of it if I’m going to spend money on big stuff. I’ll leave it alone

A few gentlemen from that unfortunate group have reached out about turbo's. I would like to help those in that were taken advantage of. Call me if you'd like to chat about a kit.

There will never be another Toyota like the 80... Are you sure about that decision? I hope you choose to keep it!

Selling her is still up in the air...
The truck is done, with the exception of some cosmetics, but I've just lost interest.
I have a new project, in the form of a 4x4 E-350 camper build "Jean Claude Damn Van" and that's taken the place in the shop and my primary money pit, with the 80 getting demoted to daily driver status.
I have a lot of love for the 80 and have been a Cruiser guy since 1985, having owned 40's, 45's, a tube frame "55" and a diesel 60.
The 80 has been a nearly ground up build with eventual boost in the plan, starting with a 100% fresh motor, trans and ending with fresh axles, drivelines and brakes.
After the turbo plan went south, I just kinda had the wind sucked from my sails...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom