Long Travel AHC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a source in Au for a 20mm with studs. It was unfortunately $70aud + $160aud for shipping.
Seems like something that @turbo8 could crank out in his sleep.

What about delrin spacers?

And as long as we are getting them custom made, how about with a cutout so they can go around the hydraulic connection. This probably does no good if studs need to be replaced, and AHC bracket needs to be shaved.

Has anyone happened to identify a good candidate for a 1 piece spacer for the front end? I have the OEM 10mm. I think @TeCKis300 ended up stacking 2 different spacers to get to 17mm. Be nice if there was a one piece 15-17mm spacer. I think a 1.25" (in theory about 16mm thickness) tundra spacer would be the ticket. Not sure if that exists.
I know it’s not as tall as you want but the Westcott spacer is 12.8” thick…
6D2ACD3A-E20F-4E7A-97C7-EDF0882B309B.jpeg

and in my mind, this is the thickest spacer that you can use factory studs with. Barely.

I know it’s not as tall as you want but the Westcott spacer is 12.8” thick…
View attachment 3266673
and in my mind, this is the thickest spacer that you can use factory studs with. Barely.
I just sent these guys a message through their website. I assume the spacer linked is the same size as the Westcott and i didn't look up the price on the Westcott, but knowing them it's considerably more than the one i'm linking at <$30.

(they also sell billet spring spacers for the rear for FJ/4Runners, so maybe an opportunity for some custom rear end stuff)

Part of me thinks that if I had to do this again, I may have just cut the lower shock standoff to extend and sleeve it. With a welder, that job would not be too bad.

1678234719811.png

Part of me thinks that if I had to do this again, I may have just cut the lower shock standoff to extend and sleeve it. With a welder, that job would not be too bad.

View attachment 3266781

Filling that root and keeping it from warping even a smidge without a jig seems like a nightmare though

Maybe I'm not describing it well, but with a sleeve that has the right inner diameter, a fixture wouldn't really be needed. Yes, would need a bit more standoff particularly at the reservoir part of the shock, and there's ways to minimize heat input. Can get even fancier with a pulse TIG.

It's a straightforward job doable on car. Maybe because I've already modified and welded extensions to my rear shock...point is moot but with the right tools, it's very doable and less labor than attacking it from the top.

That's awesome. Remind me what your latest tire size is?

I've often thought about extending the rear suspension links to stretch wheelbase for better climbing, departure, and even tow load handling.

Bigger tires definitely do their part. To your point that your tires are encoaching the rear fender/liners, along with your rear bumper cut, you probably have some seriously good departure angle. Whereas the classic recipe of rear bumpers and swingouts often sticks further out. Good clearance but possily not as great departure, unless mixed with even larger tires.

Thats my next mod along with the @turbo8 rear extendos that arrived! Ive been off forum house shopping, and move planning for a bit and not sure when ill get to it but they look sweet!

Remember though from my build thread, the short trailing arms have the AHC sensor bracket welded on something the ironmans dont have despite front UCA being drop in with AHC compatiblity.
Ive yet to decide how best to do it, maybe pull them and have a shop weld on precisely as possible and cross my fingers.
Would be way easier though for you to do the quick spot weld at home.

Now, if you could do your engineering bit and tell me exactly how much i should adjust each upper and lower in length that would be great LOL.
I am a pretty good eyeballer though... The motion ratio for my roughly 1.5-2" in rear would be great to know, but that is a dual link swing arm with its own level ratio too.
I think my best best is to go off pinion angle.
What say you Teck?

I just sent these guys a message through their website. I assume the spacer linked is the same size as the Westcott and i didn't look up the price on the Westcott, but knowing them it's considerably more than the one i'm linking at <$30.

(they also sell billet spring spacers for the rear for FJ/4Runners, so maybe an opportunity for some custom rear end stuff)

If i did this all over, it would be 1" shock top spacer up front, and everything else from the westcott kit. (30mm rear, and front preload).

Now, if @turbo8 wants to design some options, ill probably have to add them to my order list.
A full lx 1-2" kit would be that spacer, 2 preload thickness options, and 2 rear spacer options.
Depending on overall lift ambitions. I will say though that i LOVE the ride in my truck again. Its better than stock. AND lifted. AND on ATs.
Ill stop lifting and focus on tires for the next round of order cannon / money pit i have to try and resist for now.

That would be a great kit!

Seems like something that @turbo8 could crank out in his sleep.

What about delrin spacers?

And as long as we are getting them custom made, how about with a cutout so they can go around the hydraulic connection. This probably does no good if studs need to be replaced, and AHC bracket needs to be shaved.
I can, looks like you want a 17mm thick spacer?

If 12.8mm is as thick as you can go without requiring longer studs.

To use delrin you would have to use longer studs if going to a 17mm thick spacer.

I have a feeling no one wants to press in new studs and want a bolt on solution.

Will stock studs stick out any when a 17mm spacer is put on top? If they do, would cutting/grinding the studs down enough to clear the top of the coil bucket be acceptable?

I'll also need more details on what needs to be cut away to clear the ahc lines/brackets.

To use delrin you would have to use longer studs if going to a 17mm thick spacer.

I have a feeling no one wants to press in new studs and want a bolt on solution.

Will stock studs stick out any when a 17mm spacer is put on top? If they do, would cutting/grinding the studs down enough to clear the top of the coil bucket be acceptable?

I'll also need more details on what needs to be cut away to clear the ahc lines/brackets.

I agree/disagree. To do the preload, or taller coils, it has to come apart anyway. Studs are a joke after dealing with spring compressions and easy to slam out in 5 minutes.

Offer the proper hardware though, my russian s*** was not the best quality long studs.

Agree with @AnyMal, if i'm taking apart the strut, pushing in new studs seems trivial. Less trivial than trying to cut studs. Now if a way was devised to trim for the spacer and not having to disconnect AHC line, that would be sweet.

Tossing out a few ideas that might help modders but also distinguish your product to maximize its applications.

1) Create a 13mm spacer that maximizes the factory studs. This may require inclusion of regular nuts to engage all possible threads as the OE nuts are a type of flange nut that doesn't engage the lower threads. This also has applicability to the LC200 to increase lift by ~1/4" over the OEM spacer. This probably competes with the Westcott spacer but that's a part of a larger package.

2) Create a 7mm stacker spacer that can be added to the above, that also includes studs. I did mine with a press, but it's likely these are easily changed with basic hand tools like a vice and hammer.

Check your math. 1.25" = 31.75mm.
There’s about a 2 to 1 ratio of spacer to lift on the 200 IFS. So a 1.25” lift spacer is about half as thick.

Tossing out a few ideas that might help modders but also distinguish your product to maximize its applications.

1) Create a 13mm spacer that maximizes the factory studs. This may require inclusion of regular nuts to engage all possible threads as the OE nuts are a type of flange nut that doesn't engage the lower threads. This also has applicability to the LC200 to increase lift by ~1/4" over the OEM spacer. This probably competes with the Westcott spacer but that's a part of a larger package.

2) Create a 7mm stacker spacer that can be added to the above, that also includes studs. I did mine with a press, but it's likely these are easily changed with basic hand tools like a vice and hammer.

Yes, yesss.

And then also a 5 stacker for the crazy people who want to mod ahc down tube hose clamp. 😈

I am not sure but @lx200inAR has a good point though, a standoff for that would be cool, but the inner tube seal is still a bit of a pain point. The ahc shock tube up there is like a cone seat, and the ring(s) seal is up in the hose clamp end. Im not saying you could use an air chuck coupler, but i kind of am.

That being said the stacker system by itself is more than enough at a total of 20mm tbh. Im more like 22.5 and that 2.5 took a hell of a lot of extra work I wouldn’t burden customers with. Drop in for the stage 1, and studs and preload for the stage 2 is a grrreat idea.

I understand. Your post made it sound like you were looking for a 1.25" Tundra spacer.
Well, i was. The spacers are sold by their effective lift usually, not actual thickness. We are looking for a spacer with an actual thickness of 16-17mm, so are shopping for a 1.25" spacer.

Yes please. I'm basically looking for anything to help simplify the front job, both in installation and parts shopping. I've got a press, welder, and all the tools, but the less involved I get in the garage, the less chance of me breaking stuff, screwing up, pissing off the wife, etc. :eek:

Yes please. I'm basically looking for anything to help simplify the front job, both in installation and parts shopping. I've got a press, welder, and all the tools, but the less involved I get in the garage, the less chance of me breaking stuff, screwing up, pissing off the wife, etc. :eek:

I did mine manually, but depending on rust and age, a puller/press will make it a walk in the park!

@turbo8 its your time to shine!

I requested Mr. Westcott call me multiple times and was told i could resell an LX kit on here at wholesale. They obviously do not have the time to invest in LX when there is a 200 product and they have all these new trucks to R&D.

Id rather see you shine turbo than me make a pittance on a resell kit any day of the week!!!

But let me have a discount tho. Just me. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom