Long Travel AHC (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thats a great way to go about this.

the ahc line is incredibly stiff and sits so close to the top of the bucket. I highly doubt you would be able to get the whole coil over to drop down low enough and slide over the studs. You would also need to disconnect the sway bar and probably loosen your cam bolts to get that level of droop to slide in. At lease remove the upper control arm from the spindle.

The front ahc lines are pretty easy to disconnect and work around. The hardest part of front suspension installs is pulling the coil over out of the lower bucket.

Please dont remind me how much it sucks. I have to go in there and replace my collapsed amazon poly spacer. You’re not lying though. Might rent a bay, i cant drop my LCAs all the way and its a real battle with my extended studs. I might trim the excess off those actually just because im so done. And also since youve found the practical limit of top spacers and i wont ever need that extra bit…

While we’re talking about things that might be cool, A collar that slips over the shock body like the westcott preload collar, but drops the plate level down instead of up and has a flat landing would be cool. Make it for a 3.75” inner diameter shock, and a 1” drop. Then we can run 20” off the shelf shocks <springs>

Last edited:
While we’re talking about things that might be cool, A collar that slips over the shock body like the westcott preload collar, but drops the plate level down instead of up and has a flat landing would be cool. Make it for a 3.75” inner diameter shock, and a 1” drop. Then we can run 20” off the shelf shocks.

Thats actually not a bad idea… you could make a threaded sleeve, with a slip over lip bucket and it could be adjustable too for dial in.

While we’re talking about things that might be cool, A collar that slips over the shock body like the westcott preload collar, but drops the plate level down instead of up and has a flat landing would be cool. Make it for a 3.75” inner diameter shock, and a 1” drop. Then we can run 20” off the shelf shocks.
Do you mean springs?

Part of me thinks that if I had to do this again, I may have just cut the lower shock standoff to extend and sleeve it. With a welder, that job would not be too bad.

View attachment 3266781

Read through this entire thread to educate myself, and was thinking THIS the entire time.

In the proper setting, this could be done without even removing the the shock from the truck, or cracking the AHC

My .02

Hey y’all, I’m a new member and this is literally my first post. But this thread, and a couple more by many of the participants of this finally got me to post.

I picked up a used LX 570 around Christmas, I did the AHC lift shortly afterwards. I have added Method 18 inch wheels (25mm offset) and 34 inch tires (Toyo Open Country AT 285/70r18)…

And I’m about to do the spacers from Westcott and a passenger side rear coil for the driver side.

Just excited to be here 🙂

Thanks, everyone for all the great knowledge in here!

062F1E05-9C6B-40DF-AF0A-77A745DDCF8E.jpeg

7FAF9CEB-8698-4FCE-B753-852F5C00CF04.jpeg

^Onto a solid start and that's a great looking rig! Just promise to keep the pics coming. :)

Hey y’all, I’m a new member and this is literally my first post. But this thread, and a couple more by many of the participants of this finally got me to post.

I picked up a used LX 570 around Christmas, I did the AHC lift shortly afterwards. I have added Method 18 inch wheels (25mm offset) and 34 inch tires (Toyo Open Country AT 285/70r18)…

And I’m about to do the spacers from Westcott and a passenger side rear coil for the driver side.

Just excited to be here 🙂

Thanks, everyone for all the great knowledge in here!

View attachment 3295987

View attachment 3295988

Noice! Welcome.

BTW;
Are you sure you are using the correct lug nuts? They look like they are poking out a bit. Make sure they are ET (extended thread / shank) style. Method sells them.

Noice! Welcome.

BTW;
Are you sure you are using the correct lug nuts? They look like they are poking out a bit. Make sure they are ET (extended thread / shank) style. Method sells them.
Noted! I'll confirm with the shop. I DO know they are Method lug nuts, but I don't know if they are "ET" or not.

Noted! I'll confirm with the shop. I DO know they are Method lug nuts, but I don't know if they are "ET" or not.

Make sure you can get at least 9 turns of engagement. Im not sure on all the styles out there or what is intended for that wheel.

Probably no surprise, but I've been a big proponent oh AHC. Damping always dialed in regardless of load. Large fluid volumes and remote accumulator damper that stays cool with extended off-road travels. Actively pressurized for long term performance and durability. Combined with unique traits of adjustable height, load handling, and multi-rate springs for anti-brake dive and handling, there's a lot going for it.

But where does it come up short? Suspension travel due to shock length. Because length dictates maximum suspension droop of the suspension, it has until now limited travel to the stock 9" front and 10" rear. An area where aftermarket suspensions has a clear advantage.

This thread is about keeping all the goodness of AHC, while extending travel (droop) to 10.5" (+1.5") front and 11" (+1") rear.

Before anyone gets too excited, know that this is not an easy job and does require a certain amount patience, fabrication, and tools. It's also a great time to refresh the shocks, fluid, and maybe accumulators. I'm $1400 in parts all between the sales and sourcing OEM accumulators from Japan. A comparative steal.

It may be hard to see just how much more droop is added by looking at fender gaps, but pics are with 35s.

View attachment 3040261

EDIT: Adding pics
View attachment 3283651

View attachment 3283652
I am assembling parts and wondering about cv angle and if there is a need for a diff drop ?

I am assembling parts and wondering about cv angle and if there is a need for a diff drop ?

Shouldn't need one as this puts droop on par with most aftermarket LC suspensions that don't require diff drops either.

Shouldn't need one as this puts droop on par with most aftermarket LC suspensions that don't require diff drops either.
I currently have a LC spacer on front struts and have ordered the Wescott pre load collar and front and rear spacers. I currently have maxed the sensor lift and have plans to do another in tech stream or mod the sensor. I am a bit confused about the correct thing or things to do to increase ride height and reduce ahc pressure. Should I only stack the two spacers (10&12mm) and install the longer studs or should I have a combination of spacer and spring preload collar ?? Ver much appreciate any help !!

I currently have a LC spacer on front struts and have ordered the Wescott pre load collar and front and rear spacers. I currently have maxed the sensor lift and have plans to do another in tech stream or mod the sensor. I am a bit confused about the correct thing or things to do to increase ride height and reduce ahc pressure. Should I only stack the two spacers (10&12mm) and install the longer studs or should I have a combination of spacer and spring preload collar ?? Ver much appreciate any help !!
Both should have the same effect on preload/augmentation.

I prefer using top hat spacers because it increases droop travel. I’m running 24mm on top of the coil over with no sway bar.

Also keep in mind, if your running a sway bar, adding more spacer for droop will have no effect, because the sway king are the limiting factor.

@TeCKis300 correct me if I am wrong

Both should have the same effect on preload/augmentation.

I prefer using top hat spacers because it increases droop travel. I’m running 24mm on top of the coil over with no sway bar.

Also keep in mind, if your running a sway bar, adding more spacer for droop will have no effect, because the sway king are the limiting factor.

@TeCKis300 correct me if I am wrong
I was thinking the spacer only lowers the shock but doesn't have any effect on spring pre load. I guess it makes more sense to do only spacers and adjust ahc sensor to maintain the new ride height? This doesn’t change spring rate and should maintain normal ahc pressure??

I was thinking the spacer only lowers the shock but doesn't have any effect on spring pre load. I guess it makes more sense to do only spacers and adjust ahc sensor to maintain the new ride height? This doesn’t change spring rate and should maintain normal ahc pressure??
it does 100% change spring rate. The ahc system dictates the ride hight. If you space the shock the system will still maintain the same ride hight and therefore change the spring rate ( since the shock placement has changed). This only occurs with the ahc system not a conventional system

it does 100% change spring rate. The ahc system dictates the ride hight. If you space the shock the system will still maintain the same ride hight and therefore change the spring rate ( since the shock placement has changed). This only occurs with the ahc system not a

it does 100% change spring rate. The ahc system dictates the ride hight. If you space the shock the system will still maintain the same ride hight and therefore change the spring rate ( since the shock placement has changed). This only occurs with the ahc system not a conventional system

If you install strut spacer and adjust ahc to the new ride height than there is no change on spring as the shock shaft is essentially at stock plunge ? I just want to make sure I am doing things the best way with spacers and AHC adjustment to maintain a close to stock AHC pressure. Sorry if I am confused but thinking things through before making changes.

If you install strut spacer and adjust ahc to the new ride height than there is no change on spring as the shock shaft is essentially at stock plunge ? I just want to make sure I am doing things the best way with spacers and AHC adjustment to maintain a close to stock AHC pressure. Sorry if I am confused but thinking things through before making changes.

What are you trying to achieve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom