Wheels that work, part numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the 17inch wheels assist in getting some clearance there at the front, noteablly with the steering linkage, then the crazy stuff with clearance at the brake caliper is a problem depending on wheel design.

Anybody know if Toyota part no. 42601-60170 is a direct fit for a stock FJ60 (late '85 model)? My impression is they're the same as 42601-6062-03 but in chrome rather than satin paint, but I haven't been able to find much info on the chrome wheel.

If they are the same, I understand there's 1/4" positive offset on this wheel (and 0" offset on the stock 15" wheels).

Edit: closest I've found to an answer, but not confirmed: 16 OEM Chrome Wheels FJ62 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/16-oem-chrome-wheels-fj62.535161/page-2

They should fit fine, they were available on late '80s HJ60s, HJ61s, and FJ62s in the European (and other) markets.

how did you raise her so much??
Holy smokes, thats an old post, the 60 has passed now, but that has a spring over axle lift and high steer arms to clear the leaves in the front.. My buddy in the picture did some welding I think. I went to parabolic leaves in the front and later 16x10 DC-1 wheels and 39.5" iroks.

80CD7138-8332-494B-980F-05C732475AB1.jpeg

I believe that the back spacing clearance issues are the tie rod ends for 15 inch wheels. 3.5 inch back spacing is about all you can get away with. As you go with the bigger diameter wheels you have more tie rod clearance and can run more back spacing.
I ran a 16x7 with 4" inch BS on my old cruiser then went to a 16x8 with 4.25" BS, I was running 315/75R16 tires. When it flexed the inside of the tires rubbed the rear wheel wells so I installed 1.25" aluminum bolt on spacers and had no issues.
The cruiser i have now isn't as big. I have 285/70R17 tires on 17x7 4runner OEM wheels they fit without spacers but were too "sucked in" for my taste. I put on 1.5" aluminum spacers to get the look I wanted. View attachment 2615649
Most of the modern style wheels are designed for the newer vehicles the have a lot of back spacing. I do like the 17 inch wheel size do to more tire options and options for brake system upgrades using larger diameter rotors which is really the only way to get better stopping power, or should I say leverage, for larger heavier tires.
I think either of your wheel choices would look great.

I believe that the back spacing clearance issues are the tie rod ends for 15 inch wheels. 3.5 inch back spacing is about all you can get away with. As you go with the bigger diameter wheels you have more tie rod clearance and can run more back spacing.
I ran a 16x7 with 4" inch BS on my old cruiser then went to a 16x8 with 4.25" BS, I was running 315/75R16 tires. When it flexed the inside of the tires rubbed the rear wheel wells so I installed 1.25" aluminum bolt on spacers and had no issues.
The cruiser i have now isn't as big. I have 285/70R17 tires on 17x7 4runner OEM wheels they fit without spacers but were too "sucked in" for my taste. I put on 1.5" aluminum spacers to get the look I wanted. View attachment 2615649
Most of the modern style wheels are designed for the newer vehicles the have a lot of back spacing. I do like the 17 inch wheel size do to more tire options and options for brake system upgrades using larger diameter rotors which is really the only way to get better stopping power, or should I say leverage, for larger heavier tires.
I think either of your wheel choices would look great.
Thank you for this write up on these rims. Just like you I was looking into the trd pros but came across a good deal on a rim/tire combo. Will be getting them today

Those are cool. I just found a good set of tires but they are needing 16" rim. I have found rims with the same spec (6x139.7) but have -12 offset. Would that also work? I'm not schooled on the offset as it relates to inches...

Use an online wheel offset calculator.

The key with these trucks wheel figment is backspacing, rather than offset. Need to keep it below 3.75” or so with 3.5” being recommended. My Mickey Thompsons come in at 3.6 (3-5/8”) and fit fine.

Backspacing and offset tell you the same thing but use different datums.

Backspacing tells you where the wheel flange is relative to the inside wheel surface, and is easier to measure in the driveway.

Offset tells you where the wheel flange is relative to the wheel centerline. This can be converted to backspace, but you have to know the wheel width.

I almost posted this in the steel wheel thread, but this is just as good a place as both are not steel. Does anyone know the specifications/differences between these two wheels? Both are 17" and 6 lug, but width , backspacing etc? I was thinking they might be the same?
4runner TRD pro and the FJ cruiser steel. I already know they don't fit without spacers unless you have done other mods.

2022-11-05 09.59.56.png

2022-11-05 10.01.07.png

I almost posted this in the steel wheel thread, but this is just as good a place as both are not steel. Does anyone know the specifications/differences between these two wheels? Both are 17" and 6 lug, but width , backspacing etc? I was thinking they might be the same?
4runner TRD pro and the FJ cruiser steel. I already know they don't fit without spacers unless you have done other mods.

View attachment 3159949

View attachment 3159950
I have the steel one and they fit with a 1.25" spacer or bigger. No big deal in my opinion.

View attachment 3159949

View attachment 3159950

View attachment 3159949

View attachment 3159950

The offsets are different. -4mm for the TRD Pro (SEMA) 4Runner wheel vs. +14/15mm for the steel wheel. That’s why you need spacers with the FJ Cruiser steel wheel.

The TRD wheels fit great on a stock truck. My one cruiser/mud claim to is I was the first one to run them on completely stock axles. 😂 A number have people have documented success with them.

Torfab had been previously but he had an 80 series rear axle and brake/hub mods on the front.
06FF5084-11A0-467E-9A24-4176AFAFBA93.jpeg
F1D6D093-1969-457E-BA0A-3FFC17424674.jpeg

Gunmetal grey right? Looks nice. If the online calc is right, the backspace of both wheels is 1" different! The TRD are 7" wide and the FJ 7.5"
Thanks!

Last edited:

View attachment 3159949

View attachment 3159950
the TRDs fit without spacers or mods as I mentioned in my thread!

Picked up some SCS Gen 5 wheels in gloss bronze over the weekend. 17x8.5 4.30 BS -10 offset. Was originally wanting to order a set of Bradley Vs but the shipping just gets more and more expensive every month from Japan. As of today shipping for 5 wheels from Japan is a solid $650 for the slowest option

Picked up some 1.25 inch wheel spacers just in case, but after reading the thread, the 17 inch wheels dont seem to have the same issues the 15s do. Im really hoping i dont need the spacers. I guess once they get in ill post up if they fit or not. Thinking the tire is going to hit somewhere at very least.

The wheels will be going on a set of 285/75/17 Geolander 003 MTs since they dont make Cooper STT Pros or any Cooper MT in this size. Really hoping the 34s will fit on my 2.5 inch lift with the ome AALs.

The wheels:
TKWzBhol.png

cTG5rAUl.jpg

Photoshopped them onto a photo of my truck photo shopped onto a friends 60. Wheelception

HlguUcBl.jpg

Last edited:
@Dubs2017 Hard to tell in pic, but your running the 80 rear axle as well correct?
What is the best source for the FJC 17" wheels these days? I am interested in only the genuine Toyota ones.
Thanks!

@Dubs2017 Hard to tell in pic, but your running the 80 rear axle as well correct?
What is the best source for the FJC 17" wheels these days? I am interested in only the genuine Toyota ones.
Thanks!
Stock 60 rear at the moment. 80 rear is on the shortlist once the motor swap is done.

And I found the fjc set quite cheap on Craigslist a few years ago. Someone was going aftermarket and the hub caps were long gone. The guy was glad to be rid of them. I gave them a scrub and a coat of paint and am happy with them.

534F8073-A2AB-4057-88F9-267693015F9C_1_105_c.jpeg

Picked up some SCS Gen 5 wheels in gloss bronze over the weekend. 17x8.5 4.30 BS -10 offset. Was originally wanting to order a set of Bradley Vs but the shipping just gets more and more expensive every month from Japan. As of today shipping for 5 wheels from Japan is a solid $650 for the slowest option

Picked up some 1.25 inch wheel spacers just in case, but after reading the thread, the 17 inch wheels dont seem to have the same issues the 15s do. Im really hoping i dont need the spacers. I guess once they get in ill post up if they fit or not. Thinking the tire is going to hit somewhere at very least.

With those measurements I think you're likely to hit the relay rod at or near full lock (without spacers). I tried running 17s with similar backspacing and that's what happened to me. Nice wheels though - really like that JDM look.

With those measurements I think you're likely to hit the relay rod at or near full lock (without spacers). I tried running 17s with similar backspacing and that's what happened to me. Nice wheels though - really like that JDM look.
Crap. Well at least I got some spacers just in case. If it’s at full lock I’m wondering if I could get away with just some .5 inch spacers instead of the 1.25s I got.

Honestly I’ve got 80 series axles that I’m eventually going to run these wheels on, so I’m just kinda trying to make it work until then. Scs actually makes sizes specifically for our trucks with 3.5 backspace but they would stick out quite far once I swapped the axles over :/

When adding .25” spacers to the front or any size spacer, do you need to do the same to the rear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom