What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious what you came up with? Have one cruiser not worried about how original and better interior lighting is something I am researching.
Added 4 LED strips to my roll bars and a couple small ones on the dash. My daughter has complained for years about no lighting in the 40 so this is what I came up with. Not for everyone but I wanted lights that could work with whatever top I felt like using instead of just the single OEM hardtop one. I mounted them lower than most people probably would so I wouldn't be blinded if I need the light when driving at night. Works great and there is plenty of light especially in the back where camping gear is usually piled up and I am inevitably digging through it in dark places.

fotor_1662335976594.jpg

fotor_1662350367701.jpg

fotor_1662336042851.jpg

Last edited:
Added 4 LED strips to my roll bars and a couple small ones on the dash. My daughter has complained for years about no lighting in the 40 so this is what I came up with. Not for everyone but I wanted lights that could work with whatever top I felt like using instead of just the single OEM hardtop one. I mounted them lower than most people probably would so I wouldn't be blinded if I need the light when driving at night. Works great and there is plenty of light especially in the back where camping gear is usually piled up and I am inevitably digging through it in dark places.

View attachment 3106163

View attachment 3106165

Is that some type of license plate light in the middle of dash? Never understood the low watt bulb with a green lens. Want real light on a dimmer switch not some type of mood light. I thought about a spare FJ45 dome light with LED lamp for back of the hard top. Then another aftermarket light on the center of the main beam of the roll bar. Then run them off of a three position switch on the dash. Works the same a newer dome lights. One position work off door switches. Another on the opposite side turns the lights. Middle position keeps the lights off all the time.

Is that some type of license plate light in the middle of dash? Never understood the low watt bulb with a green lens. Want real light on a dimmer switch not some type of mood light. I thought about a spare FJ45 dome light with LED lamp for back of the hard top. Then another aftermarket light on the center of the main beam of the roll bar. Then run them off of a three position switch on the dash. Works the same a newer dome lights. One position work off door switches. Another on the opposite side turns the lights. Middle position keeps the lights off all the time.
Yep just a cheap 12v license plate light. I replaced the dash pad years ago but with an earlier version than my severely cracked 76 era one. Unfortunately it did not have the green light provision so this was my work around to have a little illumination.

Finally at the stage that gas is in the fuel bowl. Excited to start up the rig tomorrow.

579C99FA-563E-4B18-B879-7D6CA41EF974.jpeg

You're actually supposed to support those and tie them down?

I've always just chucked them in the back of a trailer and let them roll around, right @Thechief86 ?
This picture was taken after I partially unloaded the teller. .. they were tied down well

Installed new battery tray and shims. Part numbers included for ease of reference. Applied heavy coat of fluid film on support bracket before installing tray.
Thanks for sharing part #’s. Where did you get your battery tray shims 52321-55010?

Today, I replaced the water pump and installed a 6 blade Toyota fan in lieu of the metal fan that was a little suspect. Big "thank you" to Marks's Off Road. (@65swb45 and @ToyotaMatt ) The old water pump wasn't causing any problems but it had an unknown history, so this was preemptive. Per advice on Mud, removed the backing plate on the new water pump and applied black FIPG (00295-00102) on both sides of the gasket. Also applied FIPG to both sides of engine gasket as well as the WP bolts. Flushed cooling system beforehand. Also replaced thermostat. Waiting for a new radiator drain before refilling and testing everything. (Fingers crossed no leaks).

09.07.2022.Old Fan & Spacer.jpg

09.06.2022.OEM 6 Blade Plastic Fan.1.jpg

09.07.2022.Water Pump.8.jpg

09.07.2022.Water Pump.5.jpg

09.07.2022.Water Pump.2.jpg

09.07.2022.Old Fan & Spacer.jpg

09.06.2022.OEM 6 Blade Plastic Fan.jpg

09.07.2022.Water Pump.8.jpg

09.07.2022.Water Pump.5.jpg

09.07.2022.Water Pump.3.jpg

Today, I replaced the water pump and installed a 6 blade Toyota fan in lieu of the metal fan that was a little suspect. Big "thank you" to Marks's Off Road. (@65swb45 and @ToyotaMatt ) The old water pump wasn't causing any problems but it had an unknown history, so this was preemptive. Per advice on Mud, removed the backing plate on the new water pump and applied black FIPG (00295-00102) on both sides of the gasket. Also applied FIPG to both sides of engine gasket as well as the WP bolts. Flushed cooling system beforehand. Also replaced thermostat. Waiting for a new radiator drain before refilling and testing everything. (Fingers crossed no leaks).

View attachment 3108680

View attachment 3108681

View attachment 3108695

View attachment 3108696

View attachment 3108698

View attachment 3108707

View attachment 3108708

View attachment 3108710

View attachment 3108711

View attachment 3108712
Do you have a part number for the fan?

Online through McGeorge Toyota.
Thanks…McGeorge Toyota does not have those 52321-55010 shims. I do see these shims 90950-04010 that appear identical that are available click here. Can you confirm the part numbers for the ones you ordered?

I drove it for the first time in 16 months.
Turned it around is all, really.
New (rebuilt) head
New headgasket
New radiator
New fuel pump
New fuel filter
New thermostat
New clutch master/slave cylinders
New various hoses
Good used exhaust manifold
New spark plugs
Good used turn signal
Lots of help from this forum and various Facebook groups!

881AA7FE-8815-4307-9B28-54A22C950812.jpeg

Last edited:
Changed the oil, rewound the winch cable after I cleaned and lubed the winch. Parked it back in the garage for a bit. It's been sitting on the side of my house getting covered in ash from some local wildfires.
20220908_193923.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom