The Monstalined 80's thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use 3M. The yellow tape works very well. Not to be confused with the tan, green, or blue tapes you usually find on the shelf. This is what we sell to the pro's.

IMG_20181130_195610_001.jpg

Then, 1/4" fine line tape for the pattern. I prefer the blue. No bleeding on the edge.

IMG_20180623_140729.jpg

That makes sense. I dint know there was auto specific tape. I had my house and cabinets painted and the guys swore by frog tape but that is obviously a different application

maxamillion2345, what color is your monstaliner? Also do you have any close up pics with doors open.? My truck is the same color as yours originally was and have been debating the monstaliner and deflared. Seeing yours makes me want to monstaline. Also what did you do about the fender flare holes? Sorry about all the questions but your truck looks great.

maxamillion2345, what color is your monstaliner? Also do you have any close up pics with doors open.? My truck is the same color as yours originally was and have been debating the monstaliner and deflared. Seeing yours makes me want to monstaline. Also what did you do about the fender flare holes? Sorry about all the questions but your truck looks great.
Thanks!

Get Hammered

I’ll try to get some. It obviously isn’t a match but they don’t contrast enough to bother me

The front fenders I just welded. Stacked tacks until I could fill it all in. Then sanded then skimmed with bondo and sanded again.
The doors I did the same.
On the rear quarter panels you could weld them if you were careful about things. Obviously this isn’t really a professional way of doing things but I’ll be honest here, I had taped over them from the backside a long time ago, and then filled the outside almost level to paint with rtv and then spray painted. Since my rear panels were full of bondo this was an okay option. I just skimmed with bondo this go around and then primered and rolled over that. Ideally youd have someone on the inside watching carefully and then weld it up. On the very bottom corners on one side I used a metal putty to fill the holes, sanded that down and skimmed with bondo. On the other side I didnt have anymore of that stuff so I just used metal tape that I sanded, then primered over the tape and scuffed then rolled over that. It all looks fine under the monstaliner, we’ll see what holds up...

I guess you could tape from the back and then maybe something into the hole and then tape over the front. I’m slightly concerned that with just tape you might end up with cracks in the monsta, even though I did do two holes that way...

The roof holes were another story. If you have a later 80, pull the headliner and weld. For me pulling the headliner is a no go, so I pouned the holes in a little bit, filled with metal putty and then sanded. Epoxied over that and then sanded, them skimmed with bondo, then primer and then monsta.

Id definitely ditch all the bull**** on the roof if youre gonna monsta.

I'm digging this thread. There are some awesome rigs in here.
Any of you that have gone with the WWII, or any of the desert tan type flavors also have the blue/gray interior? That is my biggest sticking point right now. I feel like my interior color will clash in pretty drastic fashion with my top couple of exterior schemes. Adding to my troubles is the set of rims I had powder coated in a version of od green. Cart before horse for sure.
Oh, also, who has an empty garage??

Just realized I never added my small part to this thread. I monstalined my roof:

Cracked two door handles and figured while I'm at it I'll replace all four, and properly get the liner underneath instead of the sloppy job I created by trying to roll over them, and then spray. I ran out of white but have a 6 month old quart of Med Quartz Grey kicking around in the cabinet, so here she goes, winging it with the masking tape after a photoshop previz. Finally on step 6 here, before I go touch up:

IMG_4637.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg
IMG_4633.jpg
IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

Last edited:
As stated earlier; my dilemma with photos.
Big chip is my wheel color. Already done and paid for and lurking in my basement.
"Lighter" green is Sans Panties
Darker is WWII OD Greer
I cant remember the name of the gray one.
But either green with the blue gray interior? I'm thinking no good.

IMG_3420 (2).JPG

I obsessed over colors 9 years ago when I first lined my rig. At the end of the day, it doesnt matter - pick whatever color you dig, and once all of the prep is done and the first couple of coats are down, if you want to change it up, it's pretty simple. Mine went from stock Metallic Blue (dark grey interior) to light-grey-blue liner, to Vista Green, to OD Green, and is now black/white /grey...and I'm eyeing Monsta's "Outbreak" for down the road when & if I feel like coating it again. I mean I'd do it hot pink if there was money involved, and coat it again once I couldnt take it anymore...pretty simple stuff. The bottom center OD looks pretty legit, Sans Panties looks like pea soup...but hey it looks good on SmokingRocks rig above. Check out Jungle Love - or get a shop to mix your own tint, that's what I did for my OD as everything else had far too much brown in it for my liking. Good luck :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Yea I get the "baby puke" or "pea soup" green comments all the time. I don't care, I love the way the ol' snail looks. IMO the two-tone does a bunch to make it look good, if my whole rig was sans panties I think it wouldn't look as good.

Ha! She looks sweet brotha! Mine was kermity green, I know the comments... :beer:

@SmokingRocks the 2-tone definitely helps. I can't believe how different your truck looked in your just washed driveway pic compared to the 2 out in nature.
@plutonius My wheel powder was from Cardinal coatings, so I should be able to get the components and make a custom match. I am definitely over thinking the whole thing though.

I'm in the same boat, my interior is brown and now I'm not sure what color I want to do on the exterior.

I obsessed over colors 9 years ago when I first lined my rig. At the end of the day, it doesnt matter - pick whatever color you dig, and once all of the prep is done and the first couple of coats are down, if you want to change it up, it's pretty simple. Mine went from stock Metallic Blue (dark grey interior) to light-grey-blue liner, to Vista Green, to OD Green, and is now black/white /grey...and I'm eyeing Monsta's "Outbreak" for down the road when & if I feel like coating it again. I mean I'd do it hot pink if there was money involved, and coat it again once I couldnt take it anymore...pretty simple stuff. The bottom center OD looks pretty legit, Sans Panties looks like pea soup...but hey it looks good on SmokingRocks rig above. Check out Jungle Love - or get a shop to mix your own tint, that's what I did for my OD as everything else had far too much brown in it for my liking. Good luck :flipoff2:
Good to read this. What is your surface preparation process when you decide to change colors?

Good to read this. What is your surface preparation process when you decide to change colors?

Hose it down with high pressure, spray it with purple Simple Green, scrub with a bristle brush, hose & dry, and roll away. Just put 9000 miles on this latest coat thru all manner of climates, and it still looks new after a spray with Armor All):

DSC08256.jpg

Any one have any of the new colors? I'm leaning towards the new white called nuclear winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom