The Monstalined 80's thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just finished spraying!!

Used three gallons total and did the under side of the hood. More pictures to follow. My drivers door was crushed by a tree so I replaced it with a used green door.

Here is a before pic

I will post more pictures when it's all back together, I honestly already miss my fenders but my OEM fenders were trashed. I don't want huge fenders. Been looking at out snake fenders but I've never seen them in person.

Do you think 2 gallons would have been enough? I just 2 gallons of white and with the color being so light I wasn't sure if more coats were required when covering a dark color light red. (mine is red too) I don't plan on doing the under side of my hood that will be painted white.

Epoxy primed and Monstalined my LX450 in the tintable Monstaliner with Toyota Quicksand tint.

35CED3D4-ECB2-423D-859A-192D32A561E5.jpeg

33D354A3-03A2-444A-A525-8C1C187E784D.jpeg

42222EA4-2CE6-40E0-B646-C01D412DD7F2.jpeg

CCBEB4FB-D216-403E-A71A-036C6554ABE4.jpeg

heres mine and Im about to change it up so I goota sand this and prep as new again . old liner finally starting to chp after 5-6yrs
DSCN0431.JPG

I like this idea a lot, but still on the fence if it’s for me.

I have the medium gray(I don’t know the name or code) and was thinking it might be close-ish to mix light and medium quartz gray, or maybe just the medium quartz gray is close enough?

I’d go cement gray if I was painting it, but after this past week, I know I’ll scratch the s*** out of it.

I want to do mine. Since it sits for so long unwashed, I have never liked the idea of investing repainting. I had same dilemma with my old dodge before I got this 80. I just have to see a rig or two with it in person. Maybe I can make Turf and surf this year, I am sure someone will have it on their rig. Most seem happy with it.

Last edited:
I want to do mine. Since it sits for so long unwashed, I have never liked the idea of investing repainting. I had same dilemma with my old dodge before I got this 80. I just have to see a rig or two with it in person. Maybe I can make Turf and surf this year, I am sure someone will have it on their rig. Most seem happy with it.
I'll be at Turf N Surf, will be camping in Main Camp with my Cruiser Club the Central Coast Landcruisers!

Can anyone comment on what bloodbath looks like in real life? In some pictures it looks washed out or desaturated compared to other reds (like a faded red barn door), but it could just be the texture playing tricks. In other pictures it looks dark like the color of blood.

At any rate everyone seems to agree that it most closely matches medium red pearl. Are there any other colors that could go with medium red? Assuming I don't paint the door jambs and whatnot, is bloodbath the only color that wouldn't look stupid?

The body on my truck isn't exactly perfectly straight, and the clearcoat is BAD, so I feel like I have more to gain than lose at this point. I could also remove my janky fender flares.

Thoughts?

Mine was done with a 2 gallon monstaliner kit - the color is blood bath. Came out a little too light for my liking, in fact it's lighter than the chip I received from Magnet.

Big thanks to Magmetman btw for all of his help b4 the install.

I would love to see more pics in various lighting if you have them!

Thinking of doing this, but leaning toward the raptor. Anyone know if there is a big difference between the two?

I have to do touch up on mine, and figured whilst at I would add camo lines much like @malteserunner but I wondering how he got those lines so correct. Has anyone gone over raptor, AI or monstaliner with same product??

Last edited:
I liked monstaliner over raptor. I think the raptor was alot easier to set up and dial in texture. Once monstaliner is mixed you have roughly an hour to apply. Kinda hard to do solo if you are rolling. The paint and body section has an ongoing thread with tons of info.

Reactions: RFB
4A7E3B4E-E2B3-49A5-99EB-D4439495D388.jpeg
6C06D4F9-F85C-49F2-8B70-FD7E50F54036.jpeg
BEE7FDEC-568F-4858-949A-80B6D4C4147E.jpeg
1806D502-A4B8-408F-AF94-85168A8AF5C7.jpeg
I bought a LX450 from the southwest U.S. and the paint was baked. Decided to do a two tone scheme with Monstaliner. I learned a lot doing this the first time and I am sure the second truck I do (my FJ60 next month) will be easier and better.

Here is my build thread on the monstaliner "journey" I had a friend do a mini truck and another do his 70 series after seeing mine :smokin: Filling all those 140 holes was a B*$%!

Builds - LX450: Baja surf trip build

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

I have to do touch up on mine, and figured whilst at I would add camo lines much like @malteserunner but I wondering how he got those lines so correct. Has anyone gone over raptor, AI or monstaliner with same product??

I would LOVE to Monstaliner my truck, with a similar pattern. It would be a serious commitment. Considering the time I put into mine, with just paint. It is very time consuming masking the pattern. Then one color needs to set up, then the next, and so on.

The two tone Monstaliner jobs I've seen, have pretty clean lines, so it could definitely be done.

Reactions: RFB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom