The Monstalined 80's thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did the flares, put them back on the truck with new rubber, and it actually looked pretty good, but I ultimately removed them - well, the desert chaparral removed two of them for me. Better with them off if you ask me, but that depends on your use.

I don't do much wheeling on tight trails and like the look and function of the flares. My thinking for lining my flares is that the gaskets are shot and mostly missing on mine and since the liner is thick it would hide these gaps vs. dropping $$ for new factory ones. If they happen to get removed by nature down the road I'll deal with it then.

I've been contemplating trying to monstaline match 1A5 Desert Dune. Has anyone done it? All I've seen are attempts to go with an existing Monstaliner colors that come close to Desert Dune. I'd love to see some pictures if someone has.

Thinking of giving this a try but rolling it on instead of spraying it since I don't have anywhere I can safely spray my truck, Welcome to Liner Xtreeme

They sent me some color samples over the weekend and I am probably going to use the desert tan. For those interested they also have a dark red that is really close to the factory metallic red, much closer than the Monstaliner red. Their large kit is also 3 gallons of product for only $150. I emailed them with some more questions but this is probably what I'm going to use.

Thinking of giving this a try but rolling it on instead of spraying it since I don't have anywhere I can safely spray my truck, Welcome to Liner Xtreeme

They sent me some color samples over the weekend and I am probably going to use the desert tan. For those interested they also have a dark red that is really close to the factory metallic red, much closer than the Monstaliner red. Their large kit is also 3 gallons of product for only $150. I emailed them with some more questions but this is probably what I'm going to use.
I already bought Monstaliner but this stuff has me interests. I am assuming they approve of roller application? Their site does not mention using a roller instead of sprayer. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

The price is enticing. I'd be interested if they mixed it without the "crumb". I'm not much of a fan of product fillers. I'll have to give them a call.
Thanks

I think the crumb is something that gets added if you want to but isn't a part of the standard coating. I am waiting for clarification on a couple questions I sent them this morning as well. Their pricing is what has me and the fact that their standard large kit comes with 3 gallons of product vs 2 like other places. If they give the go ahead on rolling it on I'm in. Going to be a big spring for my truck, finally going to lift it and paint it.

I have actual color samples of tan, desert tan, red and dark red if anyone wants to see them vs. the generic MS paint colors on their website.

Last edited:
I have actual color samples of tan, desert tan, red and dark red if anyone wants to see them vs. the generic MS paint colors on their website.

I emailed them to see about getting desert tan swatches... Can you post some photos?

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to roll this stuff, but definitely experiment and practice before you mix up a big batch and have at it on your rig. Things like the nap of the roller, cure time and pot temperature, additives (i.e. crumb or vinyl flattener as in Al's Liner), ambient temp and humidity, will all affect the texture you end up with.

I'll post pictures of the color samples I got when i get home. I found some rollers on amazon that look like the monstaliner rollers but are blue that say they are for bedliner application.

Here is a picture of the color samples I got. The photo from my phone is a little off, the dark red is a much closer match to the factory color than it looks in the picture. The textured sample is marked desert tan on the back but is lighter than the desert tan on the paper. I think I'm going to go desert tan, no rubber crumb and roller for application to get a smoother texture than the sprayed texture sample. I think their tan is probably close to the factory tan of the 80's trucks but I don't know anyone who has a toyota that color to match it with in person. The kit is 3 gallons and they said unused product has about a 2 year shelf life which is nice for any possible touch ups down the road.

full

@haze1964 your truck looks great, I'm looking at tan colors for mine.. Is yours the monstaliner "desert sand" or "desert tan" from another company?

Thanks eldocruiser. Mine is monstaliner desert sand - I misstated in my earlier thread. Sorry for the delayed response. Haven't been on for a few weeks.

IMG_0891_zps5iognqos.jpg

I bought mine done on the lower half from a mud member, and while at Cruise Moab 16 I got a can of black spray on to touch up the grille and front panel.

Car sits outside all year used by me when i come over from Australia, and just pressure wash comes up like new, twice year.

20160602_080601.jpg
I wasn't sure which line I wanted but had some clear coat issues on back so went higher. I'm glad I did I like the line and couldn't be happier about the finished product. Very easy to apply and do, I only used 2 rollers and 3/4 of a gallon.
20160602_080524.jpg

image.jpeg
Just finished spraying!!

Used three gallons total and did the under side of the hood. More pictures to follow. My drivers door was crushed by a tree so I replaced it with a used green door.

Here is a before pic

I will post more pictures when it's all back together, I honestly already miss my fenders but my OEM fenders were trashed. I don't want huge fenders. Been looking at kut snake fenders but I've never seen them in person.

Last edited:
white looks really good man. on the body panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom