Ghetto Satoshi (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_2141.jpg
Ok, after sitting on this project for 5 years plus, I finally got it done. And I skipped all the welding, fiberglassing, bonding, and other extremely time-consuming tasks. It did indeed occupy my mind for quite some time though. I don't have a ton of pix - I work fast and rarely stop to take pix. After acquiring all of the needed materials, this whole thing came together in one short afternoon today.

Steps:

Leave truck on jack stands for over a week so you have no excuse but to finish nagging projects.

Acquire 2nd grille (this is what I did years ago), or use existing grille.

Acquire TOYOTA emblem.

Acquire metal mesh. I ordered from Western Group, like 7 years ago, and I'm no metal-fab guy. That mesh is just pretty dang hard to work with for your typical DIYer. So I ordered up a piece of XL perforated aluminum mesh from CustomCarGrills for $79 delivered, and discovered that I can work with the mesh with tin snips and two vice grips. After tracing out the shape, and leaving "tabs" for screws, I used the vice grips to bend the edges inward at 90º. Easy-peasy.

Spray with Krylon camo ultra-flat with 5 coats of flat clear, and voila. It's not perfect, it's not super clean, it's not a show truck and I hate that jellybean in a cowboy hat, so it's gone. Done and stoked.

Skip to step #6. :beer:

IMG_4691.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4710.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looking job! I don't care for the sombrero myself. Mine is a 94 and says Toyota on the front (last year). When I bedliner the exterior I will remove the sombrero from my lift gate.

Looks great! What is the toyota emblem from?

Looks great! What is the toyota emblem from?
Thanks artech. FJ40 front grille emblem, 1969-1973. Search ebay, or elsewhere, they are available.

I seem to remember widening the mesh holes just a bit - the emblem has captive threads so all it takes is a couple of washers, studs & lock nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom