8x Series V8 Swaps (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s a clean ride!

6F9E0481-5321-448F-986D-7753BEFF8D65.jpeg

E8A40577-6FFF-4DB6-BC7B-9610B33A9DDC.jpeg

That looks familiar. Is it yours? Did you get the factory oil pressure gauge working ?

As far as clean, it’s only cause my bud was a mad man with his work detail wise and I am literally cleaning each inch to determine what is loose or incomplete. It’s therapeutic to a point.

As soon as my oil pressure gauge arrives I am going to test to see if I have pressure. Then if I do I am going to hunt down a new Toyota oil pressure sending unit and replace that. Check the wires as best as I can before digging into the dash to see if the gauge is fried.

Checked the oil pressure with manual gauge and there is indeed pressure. I then connected a mechanical gauge up and it’s showing great pressure. So I plan to purchase an oem toyota sending unit and then look closer at wires.

I drove it a bunch this eve knowing I had oil pressure and man does this setup rip. The truck is ridiculously quick. My gravel driveway will need some work. No I know why you guys make this modification. Can’t wait to add lockers, sliders, and other crap and head west this spring.

I thought you might like to see my friends v8 conversion. My understanding is that he was almost complete with the fine tuning but unfortunately passed away prior to finishing. I am going to finish what he started and then take the truck to Colorado to wheel just like we planned to do with the finished truck.

Things under the hood seem to be in order besides hooking up the oil pressure gauge. There may be more but this is over my head detail wise so slow going. Working on finding someone local to look it over as well.

I have been reading a bunch of threads about v8 swaps in hopes of finding someone who did the same conversion that Troy was finishing. The truck came from Idaho and is crazy clean.

View attachment 1775156

View attachment 1775157

View attachment 1775158

View attachment 1775159

View attachment 1775160

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Looks like he was quite the mechanic. Great looking conversion.
I wish I knew enough to tackle something like this.

Good luck finishing the job and be sure to post some pics of her running.

This truck was built by my friend and unfortunately there is no paperwork on it. So I don’t have any old parts before the swap. Also don’t have details on parts and years.
I believe the engine is a crate 350 zz4. Guessing a year or so old. I believe the pan is steel from the looks of it.
My wannabe mechanical skills have been based on Fj40’s and more old school simple stuff. My bud was insanely smart with building stuff like this. For me, this thing is beautiful yet daunting...
What transmission are you running

My rig is a 62 but it has an 80 rear axle.. already broke some rear hub studs on what I think is only my 5th or 6th test drive? :D

95781026-604E-4A06-BB48-825207776D25.jpeg

My rig is a 62 but it has an 80 rear axle.. already broke some rear hub studs on what I think is only my 5th or 6th test drive? :D

View attachment 1795463
it was way to tight if you look between studs there is set pin so there is no way that flange turned , next time use torque wrench

Last edited:
it was way to tight if you look between studs there is set pin so there is no way that flange turned , next time use torque wrench

That is called a dowel pin. And there are plenty of times guys break only some of the studs.
Maybe you’re right but I don’t think so.

Is there a consensus on using the factory 80 fuel pump?

I’ve seen several people use it with no reported issues... has anyone tried it and found it to be inadequate or cause issues?

I would not be using the factory wiring.

Anyone have a pump curve for the factory pump?

Factory pump with my lq9 has worked so far.

I'm using the "supra" pump with factory wiring. Good to know the factory pump works. I think the key is to get rid of the 2 stage voltage in the factory wiring.

I put an FZJ80 pump of unknown mileage in mine after my new Walbro 255lph ended up being dead. Seems to be fine.

I’ve seen several people use it with no reported issues... has anyone tried it and found it to be inadequate or cause issues?

I am using the factory pump, 2 plus years no, with no issues. I run adapters right on the factory sending unit to #6 AN hose(pressure and return), A vette filter with built in regulator and the factory fuel pump wiring from the plug at the pump resistor back.
Look at the wiring diagram and will see that the factory pump resistor can be removed from the system and from that connector to the fuel tank is a perfectly adequate wire that can be connected to your new fuel pump relay supplied with your new engine harness( easiest way to integrate is a new harness) my opinion

I got it figured out. It was actually the power feed to the sensor . I kinda blindly followed rockrod’s pinout sheet, and it called for deleting pin 5 from connector IH1 under the dash which turns out powers the speed sensor. Luckily I was only missing the wire from there to the one that sits on top of the trans. The rest was still intact.

View attachment 1641056

This post rolls forward from @thatcabledude #1091 back in February. I've tried to loop in a couple of folks that helped work through the EC1 wiring (@offr0adlim0 & @steve604 ) in that series of posts. but please anybody chime in

I am about in the same place as cable dude in february. I have only followed Rockrod's colored chart. And I have no speedo nor CDL (and no lockers, but I suspect that will take care of its self when I get the CDL). I am using both sides of the '1993 connector for EC1

@thatcabledude mentioned correcting Rockrod's chart to pick up 12v from pin 5 in IH1 But what wire in the EC1 bundle did that get connected to? Seems to me I need a couple more sources for 12v to energize the VSS & CDL & whatever else feeds up through this connector

@steve604 mentioned there are two grounds, brown-black and white-black OR brown. I have a white black AND a brown left open after the rockrod pinout can I assume they are grounds?

I guess basically I'm asking if somebody can hold my hand, and complete the wiring need for EC1, once one goes as far as rockrod's pinout. What does it take to correct, and complete after that point?

Let's talk gearing.

Has anyone re-geared their v8 cruisers to a taller gear (lower numerical ratio)?

Currently have the factory michelin's and cruising at nearly 2200 at 70mph with the 6L seems a little fast given the power. I'm going to go to 33 or 35's but has anyone done taller gears and how it effected road manners vs. off roading vs. mileage when compared to going to a taller tire?

Let's talk gearing.

Has anyone re-geared their v8 cruisers to a taller gear (lower numerical ratio)?

Currently have the factory michelin's and cruising at nearly 2200 at 70mph with the 6L seems a little fast given the power. I'm going to go to 33 or 35's but has anyone done taller gears and how it effected road manners vs. off roading vs. mileage when compared to going to a taller tire?

I’m at 2400rpm at 70 with 5:29 and 40” ProComps for a reference.

Let's talk gearing.

I'm at around 3k rpms at 90mph with 32" tires. That's about where my 4runner is rpm wise too with the stock v6. 2200 at 70 is a good cruising rpm I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom