8x Series V8 Swaps (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok i found solution , you need 6 relay to make it work 100 % relay #6 is for light on cluster

you must cut blue wire from black what goes to cruise control so you turn on/off button in momentary switch look at diagram circled switch is on/off button on cruise control switch
now if you want CRUISE light to come on when dakota ECU is on you need extra relay since bulb in cluster gets ground from cruise control ECU so cut the green-yellow wire from OEM cruise control ECU and use relay to send gront to that wire but use positive signal from black wire power in ) to activate relay

ok i found solution , you need 6 relay to make it work 100 % relay #6 is for light on cluster

you must cut blue wire from black what goes to cruise control so you turn on/off button in momentary switch look at diagram circled switch is on/off button on cruise control switch
now if you want CRUISE light to come on when dakota ECU is on you need extra relay since bulb in cluster gets ground from cruise control ECU so cut the green-yellow wire from OEM cruise control ECU and use relay to send gront to that wire but use positive signal from black wire power in ) to activate relay
This is for setting up cruise for drive by wire motors right?

Heck yeah! Looks like you saved me a bunch of figuring. Thank you.

I have been putting off getting the cruise working because I wasn’t sure if I was going to try and use the TAC module, or the Dakota kit you used. What gas pedal do you have? The connectors on the Dakota unit look different than what my pedal uses.

The dakota digital unit says '08 and newer. Maybe the older ones have different plugs. I was looking at buying one of these but my set up is from an '03

it is best to call dakota my engine is 2007 and when i called i was told to use CRC-1000 or CRC-2000 kit
Cruise Control for GM LS Drive-by-Wire Engines
just to be clear only reason i m using 5 relay is so you can make momentary switch to turn power on with one click and if you click it again power goes of and it is done by grounding relay true momentary switch and relay #6 is needed to turn that negative signal to positive and send it to dakota ECU

Has anyone had issues with the GM Power steering pump and the FZJ Steering box?

After I got my 5.3/6L80 running, about 5 miles later the power steering pump started to whine and it wasn't but 2-300 miles before it was so loud that you could hear it going 70mph down the highway with the radio on and the A/C on. I added a power steering cooler, have used both GM and Toyota recommended Power steering fluids to no avail. I just replaced the pump with a brand new, not reman Power steering pump today. I drove it about 1/2 mile and it's started to whine again.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I can change to make it work. Anyone else have issues with this?

Bob

After I got my 5.3/6L80 running, about 5 miles later the power steering pump started to whine and it wasn't but 2-300 miles before it was so loud that you could hear it going 70mph down the highway with the radio on and the A/C on. I added a power steering cooler, have used both GM and Toyota recommended Power steering fluids to no avail. I just replaced the pump with a brand new, not reman Power steering pump today. I drove it about 1/2 mile and it's started to whine again.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I can change to make it work. Anyone else have issues with this?

Bob
I am using the stock gm p series pump on my 2013 5.3L/6L80E and run hydroboost brakes and a stock steering box. I use Royal purple p/s fluid with absolutely no issues. I also have an LS engine in my rock crawler with same p series pump and same fluid no issues there either.
On the 80 series I do use a Derale log type heat sink oil cooler but thats it.

Bob
i m using Mercon/Dexron transmission oil in my 2007 swap and no problems
make sure all air is out of the system
with 35" tires it seems like i need bit more pressure since steering wheel does not turn easy like it did with toyota pump

i m using Mercon/Dexron transmission oil in my 2007 swap and no problems
make sure all air is out of the system
with 35" tires it seems like i need bit more pressure since steering wheel does not turn easy like it did with toyota pump
I noticed that also. I thought I read that the GM pumped more PSI so I was kinda surprised.

Bob
I have normal atf in mine and it seems to be doing alright so far. Are you sure it's not your alternator whining? I know mine sounds like a blower lol

Did some unscientific testing with adding a port to the airbox. Testing was done on a the same strip of flat road with the engine already hot from running errands all day and an ambient of ~95 degrees F and 90% humidity all done with the torque lite app. I did several 0-60 tests monitoring time, intake temps, and intake pressure. From MY testing with the LQ9 4l65e combo with a cheap amazon snorkel with a 4" PVC cleanout in the factory airbox testing with and without the plug in, I found the following. (I removed the washer bottle so there was no restriction.) 0-60 times varied slightly but the best time of the day was with the plug in; overall the results were inconclusive. Intake pressure had on average at WOT a .5psi difference with the plug-out pressure being higher. The intake temp showed the biggest difference. While cruising I found that with plugging the hole and just using the snorkel intake temps were 15-20 degrees F cooler.

IMG_20180823_192542100_HDR.jpg

Also, here's a link to some pictures I took during the swap: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZnALTwefGoomJ3UQA
PM any questions, and yes I know the welds on the exhaust are horrible. That's what you get for only being able to afford the cheapest guy in town.

I thought you might like to see my friends v8 conversion. My understanding is that he was almost complete with the fine tuning but unfortunately passed away prior to finishing. I am going to finish what he started and then take the truck to Colorado to wheel just like we planned to do with the finished truck.

Things under the hood seem to be in order besides hooking up the oil pressure gauge. There may be more but this is over my head detail wise so slow going. Working on finding someone local to look it over as well.

I have been reading a bunch of threads about v8 swaps in hopes of finding someone who did the same conversion that Troy was finishing. The truck came from Idaho and is crazy clean.

E673B5EB-4634-41CC-A541-4A712022356A.jpeg

62FFFAF3-A80D-47BA-A5EC-91A6BEF74E68.jpeg

DC1AC713-6296-4436-A907-D7841BEA7349.jpeg

B40F009C-1602-49EF-91D5-20DDF7E369F2.jpeg

84FC91C9-746E-4F90-A158-AA2347BE00DE.jpeg

Did some unscientific testing with adding a port to the airbox. Testing was done on a the same strip of flat road with the engine already hot from running errands all day and an ambient of ~95 degrees F and 90% humidity all done with the torque lite app. I did several 0-60 tests monitoring time, intake temps, and intake pressure. From MY testing with the LQ9 4l65e combo with a cheap amazon snorkel with a 4" PVC cleanout in the factory airbox testing with and without the plug in, I found the following. (I removed the washer bottle so there was no restriction.) 0-60 times varied slightly but the best time of the day was with the plug in; overall the results were inconclusive. Intake pressure had on average at WOT a .5psi difference with the plug-out pressure being higher. The intake temp showed the biggest difference. While cruising I found that with plugging the hole and just using the snorkel intake temps were 15-20 degrees F cooler.

View attachment 1775130
how you can get pressure in the intake manifold on naturally aspirated engine ?? or you calling VACUUM the pressure
with that hole open you supplying hot air from underneath the hood to engine i m surprised the temperature increase was only 15-20 F but not way more

how you can get pressure in the intake manifold on naturally aspirated engine ?? or you calling VACUUM the pressure
with that hole open you supplying hot air from underneath the hood to engine i m surprised the temperature increase was only 15-20 F but not way more
It's vaccum, but on the app they just call it pressure.

The way to do it and measure for restriction is to monitor the map sensor and either take notes or data log it with different air intakes. At wide open throttle the map reading should be close to the same reading as atmospheric ( key on engine off would be your reference) It will vary depending on your altitude. Any restriction, and there will be some due to air filter etc , will appear as a higher reading, just like when engine is idling and throttle blades are creating restriction. It's n my list of things to look at too

With the 4" clean out in my intake I clearly noticed a lot more grunt at 2500 rpm and above. I didn't compare full throttle runs. WOT in mine is a bit much for my suspension set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom