8x Series V8 Swaps (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you guys offer up info as to how I can get either factory oil pressure gauge hooked up or where an aftermarket one should get plumbed to the engine in the above pics?

Maybe tell me what to search if that’s easier. I keep reading threads about v8 conversions but having trouble understanding what to do. My goal is to finish the truck right and have confidence to take it west.

Any help would be cool and appreciated.

I used the factory sending unit, drilled and tapped the block off plate on the side of the oil pan by the oil filter that used to have the external cooling lines. 1/8 NPT i think it was?

I will do some looking to see if I can locate a factory sensing unit. not sure what is factory and or not at this point.

Factory toyota unit off the 1FZ. Rockauto has them too if you don't have yours anymore

Can you guys offer up info as to how I can get either factory oil pressure gauge hooked up or where an aftermarket one should get plumbed to the engine in the above pics?

Maybe tell me what to search if that’s easier. I keep reading threads about v8 conversions but having trouble understanding what to do. My goal is to finish the truck right and have confidence to take it west.

Any help would be cool and appreciated.
what year is that engine and do you have metal or aluminum oil pan ?

This truck was built by my friend and unfortunately there is no paperwork on it. So I don’t have any old parts before the swap. Also don’t have details on parts and years.
I believe the engine is a crate 350 zz4. Guessing a year or so old. I believe the pan is steel from the looks of it.
My wannabe mechanical skills have been based on Fj40’s and more old school simple stuff. My bud was insanely smart with building stuff like this. For me, this thing is beautiful yet daunting...

I will look closer tomorrow. That’s where I thought it went but it looks like there is something there. I am wondering if Troy started this part and just didn’t finish. It’s odd cause the mechanical gauge is there and the line is spooled in the engine compartment. I figured it was just too short but found an extension kit in the little collection of parts.

I will do some looking to see if I can locate a factory sensing unit. not sure what is factory and or not at this point.
factory toyota sending unit is 1/8" pipe thread and if you do a little google searching you can find a LS adapter fitting that will screw into the back of the block where the factory LS oil pressure switch was. That will give you an 1/8" female thread to screw the factory sender into. it looks clean and the LS oil pressure switch has no effect on the engine running, it only provides a signal for the gauge.

factory toyota sending unit is 1/8" pipe thread and if you do a little google searching you can find a LS adapter fitting that will screw into the back of the block where the factory LS oil pressure switch was. That will give you an 1/8" female thread to screw the factory sender into. it looks clean and the LS oil pressure switch has no effect on the engine running, it only provides a signal for the gauge.

Sounds like he is running a Gen2 motor though.

you r correct toyota sending unit is 1/8" but it is important to know that it is 1/8" -28 British Standard Pipe thread not NTP
BSPT uses 55 degree pitch but NTP 60 degree and also BSP is 28 thread per inch but NTP is 27
so the correct thread for toyota sending unit is
1/8" -28 British Standard Pipe thread

Came home and took a closer look at the setup. Not sure what this tells me but found sending unit and wires that were spliced and or plugged in. All loose so I assume Troy was still trying to solve the setup.
No clue what might have been stock cruiser and or all added.

E34128B6-3281-415C-9054-4B91B4D51ECD.jpeg

EF162BF7-9768-4137-A5DD-50D9D535B316.jpeg

Ouch.. should I unplug for now or is it too late?
Maybe time to figure out how to get the mechanical one attached.

If gauge is cooked, is it replaceable? I can remove and replace things with little issue. It’s the technical diagnosis that I can’t do.

Funny reply bud. I am well aware this project isn’t for me. My goal is to finish it due to my friend passing away. I am well aware it’s over my head project wise. My hope is to post occasional questions and with help, learn enough to do what I can. And the things I simply can’t figure out, I will eventually find a local mechanic or one states away that can help.
And as far as service manual, I wasn’t aware there was one for a zz4 motor installed in an old 80 series. That will be my next search...

Thanks for that feedback. I will see if i can clean it up per that advice this eve. Hoping the gauge isn't fried.

Checked the wir s and the brown is in fact going to the ground and the white heads back in the dash through passengers side. I cleaned up connections and the gauge works but shows I have little to no oil pressure. Going to chase the white wire to see if it goes to the gauge. Next step is to figure out if I do have oil pressure or none.

Always fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom