8x Series V8 Swaps

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by beno, Sep 9, 2016.

1. bulhas

bulhas

glad to hear you guys are enjoying the higher rpm, im sitting on 5.29's as I get closer to being back on the road I was really hoping not to regear back to my 4.11's unless its was necessary

this is my current rpm range in theory based on 37s and 5.29's

[​IMG]

2. Squad1

Squad1

Have you gone to Alldatadiy.com ? you can buy an annual subscription for $20 and have every electrical wiring diagram,wire color and connector view you could ever need. And you can print any and all out

3. afraptor22

afraptor22 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Has anyone put a GenV engine in an 80 yet? I've been doing a bunch of research on the differences and think I have a good handle on it now...except for the cost.

4. Oscar Witte

Oscar Witte

Media:
    That would be awesome.

5. aktundra

aktundra

Media:
    Albums:

Thanks for the reminder @Squad1

I added an update to the pinouts on this thread
    Vortec Swap - Pin Out Sheets
    for EC1

6. goranvolvo

goranvolvo

update on my solution everything works what i did but the valve failed already it started to leak this was cheap one from auto advance
    now i m truing by pass valve with electronic actuator made by thermotion part # 354-69494 other good option is GM oem AC DELCO part #15-5533 stay away from aftermarket one

7. Oscar Witte

Oscar Witte

Media:
    I did some fuel pressure testing yesterday with my lq9 and stock 310k fuel pump. Stock GM regulator set at 58psi. Mine holds 58-60psi all the way up to about 4500rpm floored in first gear where it starts dropping to about 55psi. I'll probably switch to a walbro because it seems to me the stock pump maxs out right at the top end. Just throwing out some random data I got if anyone cares.

thatcabledude and MANUCHAO like this.
  8. JeepinPete

JeepinPete

Regarding the heater hose, why are folks not just using the stock heater valve? The heater hoses on a LSx engine do not need to be looped or connected, they can be blocked off with no effect on the motor. The water pump and thermostat are set up to bypass coolant internally when the engine is warming up. Here is a pretty good video showing how the water pump works:

9. goranvolvo

goranvolvo

My temperature dropped for about 10 f with the bypass valve especially in summer it makes big diference

10. Squad1

Squad1

agreed. I run a LQ9 in my Jeep with the heater barbs removed and plugged and no issues

11. Lost Industries

Lost Industries Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

So i see all these v8 swaps but almost no one ever goes back and updates on mileage with their conversion. curious as i have a 96 fzj80 and have been considering a 5.3, 6.0 or even a 2uz swap. obviously the 1fz-fe is sluggish and lacks power compared to a lot of vehicles. Just curious.

fyi this is my 1 st post as my new log in. used to be a member back in the day, but life happens and somehow i cant get my old login to work.

12. Matt Crandall

Matt Crandall

I did a 5.7 corvette engine, with RV cam and Truck intake manifold. I am getting 12.5-13.5, but I have a hard time keeping my foot out of it.
    I raced a G63 AMG, It was very close to 100 mph... Mine has 33" and 2.5 lift

azcrackshot likes this.
  13. thatcabledude

thatcabledude SILVER Star

I get 15ish. I'm always mashing though. 5.3, 4l60e, part time'd 315s,

14. Oscar Witte

Oscar Witte

Media:
    I actually found an exhaust leak near my o2 and now I get about 12mpg

15. goranvolvo

goranvolvo

i get 20-21 MPG on hwy with roof rack it drops down to 19 MPG 4.88 gears ,35" tires and part time

16. Lost Industries

Ok so so there is a mpg increase that is for sure. I looked into the part time kit to help it out. I'm really surprised that no US company makes adapters for the common 4l60 or 4l80 swaps. All I see is Marks or advanced has their adapter for their own case. I have a machine shop and have machined my own adapters before. It's not that difficult. Seems like a 5.3 or 4.7(2uz) would be the way to go.

Hijack off, back to the main focus of this thread

17. aktundra

aktundra

Media:
    Albums:
    @Lost Industries if you are considering making an adapter.

The details are a little foggy, but years ago when I was initially researching my swap, it seemed some folks had trouble with the fitment of the adapter (Advanced gets theirs from Marks). If I remember right, the location of the T-case shifter was slightly off. Seemed to
    me there was a change (AT or T-case) during the 80 series production run, and the adapter was designed for one configuration and not the other.

If you are interested in chasing the details, there may be a market for a second type of adapter. ( my ‘93 with an A442F bolted right in as expected )

Lost Industries likes this.
  18. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

Milage is going to vary greatly based on many different factors, weight, gearing, trans used, engine used, tune used, ect...

19. Lost Industries

@ aktundra, I make a lot of random parts to fill gaps in the market. There just has to be enough of a need to justify going forward. I make girdles for an audi 2.7 twin turbo v6. Never thought there was a market but one of my customers has me run 3 batches now. That little motor has awesome torque down low and very reliable. 4-500 hp and torque. He has one that has 40k on it daily driven and is dynoed at the wheels-> 655hp and 638 torque.

I understand a lot of variables play into mpg. That's why knowing motor, trans, gears and tire size help plus weight. My 80 right now weighs 5150.

McDowra likes this.
  20. White Stripe

White Stripe

2uz takes up a lot more engine space since its dohc. Also you only gain about 30hp with a 2uz compared to a 1fz. I thought about putting a turbo on a 1fz rather than going LS, but then you still have about 12mpg. With the LS I have infinite options when it comes to uprading the motor and close to 20mpg. Marks offroad adapters-although made in australia-are not hard to get. I think if you want to make adapters for the 80 for which their would be some of a demand, I would consider a adapter for the 1fz auto trans to a atlas tcase or fj60 split case tcase. I think that would sell fairly well if not really well so that 1fz guys have lower tcase gearing. The stock tcase in a 80 right now can only be upgraded to 3:1 gearing, which many don't find low enough. And dual cases can't fit because of the fuel tank location.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.