What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (63 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fixed my P0401 code! Hallelujah! It was a long hard fought struggle but I think Ive got it licked. Havent had the code for 2 days now with 6 drive cycles.

Step out of the airport and what do I see?!?!

IMG_4105.JPG

What are all these connectors for? Should they be connected? Back left of engine bay

View attachment 1546095

There are 2 hookups right there for the power antenna. If you aren't using that it is likely those. I think I found 1 other connector in that same area that was empty on my Cruiser as well.

I'm unpacking after a three week, 4,000 mile journey that took us from Vacaville, CA to Yellowstone, the Teton's, Moab for a week, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, 100 miles off road in the Mojave desert, across Death Valley, and a tour north through cali up 395.

It was a treat to eat breakfast in plane view of Mt. Whitney.

The 1FZ-fe, at 279k, performed very well if not a bit under powered on steep accents at high elevation. It's smooth rev up the tach is a great attribute and leave's worry behind. In 4040 miles I had to add zero oil and many of those miles were strenuous.

I'd like to send a thank you to Twin Falls, ID Toyota for fitting me into their busy Saturday schedule to address a leaking oil filter. And a huge shout out to Moab 4x4 Outpost for replacing a broken rear axle shaft with skill and timeliness.

This was our biggest trip in the 1993 White Rhino. It sits on a 4" and 37's. I had my reservations about how a road trip of this length would go in a rig set up with Rubicon in mind but, I'm happy to say that I'm looking forward to my next multi-week adventure because the White Rhino showed its grit and willingness even at 24 years old.
How did you break a rear axle shaft, details plz?

Replaced the PCV and grommet. It took more time to walk into Toyota parts and buy the pieces than it was to install them.

Saw this beauty today. LH drive. Pretty clean rig. As is customary, I tried to buy it. No such luck.

Also saw a handful of 80s on what had to be 40s that were 15-17" wide. Big ol' snow tires. One of them I recognized from on here. It was a grey one. Cool trucks for what they use them for.

Saw a few 70s and tons of Hilux and 150 Series (I think that's what they are here).

This is gorgeous country. I highly recommend coming here.

IMG_4150.JPG

In the past I kept my winch control, D-rings, and common needed straps in my passengers flip up window. I found out a couple weeks back when I need my winch stuff getting to my equipment was difficult do to how I was stuck on the rivers edge.

IMG_5721.JPG

Now my winch control, a couple D-rings (blue bag) and a tree strap is under my hood where it will be fast and easy to get to going forward.

IMG_6389[1].JPG

Now, what happens if your hood can't be opened?

Yeah, I'm always trying to think about how accessible recovery equipment will be. My winch control and a D-ring are in my center console, and the strap sits under the LH side of the middle seat.

I think the answer is either multiple sets of equipment, or different ways to access it. For people with tailgate storage, there should be a way to get into it without dropping the tailgate. For your side panels, could there be a way to open it from the inside?

Where's "here"?

"Ice, ice baby ..."

Iceland.

No joke, 50% of the cars on the road are LC150s (Prado), LC105s, 80s, 70s, Hilux, and RAV4.

Except my rental. I went cheap. I wanted to rent a Land Cruiser or Hilux but they go for about $170-200 USD/day. So I rented a "Subaru Outback or similar" and got this French/Romanian piece of sh!t!

Dacia Duster - Wikipedia

Now, what happens if your hood can't be opened?

Yeah, I'm always trying to think about how accessible recovery equipment will be. My winch control and a D-ring are in my center console, and the strap sits under the LH side of the middle seat.

I think the answer is either multiple sets of equipment, or different ways to access it. For people with tailgate storage, there should be a way to get into it without dropping the tailgate. For your side panels, could there be a way to open it from the inside?

Been driving for a long time and experience tells me worrying about a LC hood not opening is like getting struck by lightning when its not raining:meh:

We do agree on over stuff located in various places I still have stuff in my flip up window for easy access, 30' tow strap, tree strap, and more d-rings.

IMG_6386[1].JPG

And yes to the tail gate access to where I have a 30' kinetic strap, 30' kinetic rope, 10' chain, snatch block, and more D rings. But nothing in the tailgate itself. I continue to hope the last time I needed it was the last.

b4of2Yh98HlKLe8gaj9ojVYzv88oJHiyx2AvthOUozM10D-6zks2lQ0X5gC4TaayUcwmbFkB0zHz60AzRcv2gzuMMZSt-SDajr6Q9u2oGWHjc-DkbRHjyNbG2_mVfwu-3XpePtPXeXjBTszCvhwmji5c4d0h2xLniO1KJhITmu9P9RUA4qq4QJjfkP6DTOLlYgEiLvl9FgF_eUiaEKJK8Hus_bIej2M5CJObKZXqu8r9reMQh3qHK28egaXY5hCy3lgi7Dbn4N8JPM1lrz7o1QtvqtE-q6i5w1MmA6E6TYOhc7VtihgSm3-XMIji5U8dHFd9BSbtj1Vn-20cHdKPyLXCUAlg6l1vG0MNJnxE8Wjadm69IRWu9x7DDsoa35-YfkwYwOR-UjdBAe2XuoQoIgNWsoFn-Q4FlgLQp6-PzfdzOL6pEYwW4bz1YAAkNk-N-CL6ahDw2GtblaelM8gS3PYHnv7L-7Cw6Gr50C3D6eguMoUcQH4VEyFlRocSLWmuA5pXmTw7WnjYqmUx08sVZ0mYSW0uAKP0_fi6NcGRkQIkX2vzwRPXVLBPiuEQzzKyQ7-HKpF-em678qHmBawsFUrdme2-S3JAlDq7RAVJPRw=w1185-h888-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom