Builds 97 on 40s Expo Build

• Thread starter ExpoMax
  • Start date
  • Watchers 81
ExpoMax

ExpoMax

Hey everyone. I have been building my 1997 Land Cruiser for a few months now. It took a year of saving before this, and many hours of work in between high school classes. But ever since I saw @Apounder and his crazy truck I knew I wanted 40s. You can blame my dad for the love for Land Cruisers. :cheers:

This used to be my dads rig until he upgraded to a 3x locked 97 40th anniversary. I bought this truck from him about 7 months ago. Part of the deal was he would get to keep the bumper, sliders, winch, front springs, and a couple other odds and ends. All of that was fine with me, I had a different plan. Had 258,000 miles then, has 272k miles now.
IMG 3382

This is a sneak peak of what this truck has evolved into. Still has a long way to go.

EBD863C3 A709 4FA0 8EDE A2B0B2980A63

Current Mods Include (Pending):

Custom F/R bumpers
TG Sliders
Nitro 5.29s
ARB Lockers
TG Longfields
Trussed/gusseted front axle
3-link
Rocker chop
No Flares - Welded/Monstalined
13in Travel Pro Comp 9000 Shocks
1" BL
Dobinsons 4” flexi coils
Trail tailor adj. panards
1.75” Bumpstop extension Front, 2.75" Rear
40x13.5r17 Pro Comp mt2
17x9 3.5BS Pro Comp 97 Series Steel Wheels
1.25” wheel spacers
Upgraded Stereo w/ 10in sub
Built out interior w/ Bed, sink. etc.
LEDS throughout
China Snorkel
Hella Horns

Last edited:
cody c

cody c

what did you do with the fender wells?

I'm on 38's, and been thinking bout 40's or 42's with heavier axles, not that it's in my budget at the moment, but I would finally have to do some body work to make that happen.

ExpoMax

ExpoMax

The plan for my build

• Find a good deal on either 37s or 40s
  • Make the front axle as strong as possible
  • Re-gear to 5.29s
  • Add a ARB air locker up front (rear already has one)
  • 1in body lift
  • Custom front / rear bumpers
  • Trail Gear Sliders
  • Get at least 12in stroke shocks
  • Build out the interior (bed, sink, storage)
  • Don't forget to go out and drive it!

This is the day I found my tires. A guy on Craigslist was selling 4 brand new Pro Comp mt2 40x13.5r17 tires for $1000. One had a few bites out of the tread. Told me it must of been a muskrat or something. Talked him down to $800.

IMG 3784

ExpoMax

ExpoMax

what did you do with the fender wells?

I'm on 38's, and been thinking bout 40's or 42's with heavier axles, not that it's in my budget at the moment, but I would finally have to do some body work to make that happen.

I cut 2.5in out of the front, and 1.5 out of the rear. I feel doing a 1in body lift also really helps out so you do not have to run crazy big bump stops.

ExpoMax

ExpoMax

Rims arrived with very beat up boxes. Was slightly worried so I cracked them open fast. After much debate in my head between 2.5 and 3.5in backspace I decided to go with 3.5in of backspace. The wheels are Pro Comp 97 series 17x9 3.5in backspace. I found 4 off amazon for $89 each, and Prime.
IMG 4192

Was very excited so I had to go test fit once I got them mounted up. I didn't want to pay 4Wheelparts $20 a piece to mount and balance them so I did it myself. Mounting a 40in tire is not as hard as you may think. All you need is some soap and a Harbor Freight tire iron! Not even a chance of turning with flares :doh:

IMG 3793
IMG 3799

cody c

cody c

I've got almost the same wheels, they actually might be the same but a different brand name, I'm running 38" geolanders though.

No complaints on the wheels, I'm running spacers (mine's a 92) but it is nice to have the extra clearance around brake calipers and such with the slightly larger wheel.

ExpoMax

ExpoMax

Now it was time to cut the fender wells. Also took off the front bumper and sliders. At first I only cut the front, but soon after realized the back needed to be chopped soon also. The tires rubbed quite a bit. I won't bore you guys with many fender cutting pics, but 2.5inches of sheet was taken out of the front, and 1.5in out of the rear. This is how the rear was done. We cut it, then bent it up, then re welded it. @LC4LIFE helped with the welding due to his superior skills.

IMG 2082

And the front after the chop.
IMG 3806

RFB

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Website
www.youtube.com
Now it was time to cut the fender wells. Also took off the front bumper and sliders. At first I only cut the front, but soon after realized the back needed to be chopped soon also. The tires rubbed quite a bit. I won't bore you guys with many fender cutting pics, but 2.5inches of sheet was taken out of the front, and 1.5in out of the rear. This is how the rear was done. We cut it, then bent it up, then re welded it. @LC4LIFE helped with the welding due to his superior skills.

View attachment 1523812

And the front after the chop.
View attachment 1523809
I wish someone would lay out how to cut and reweld a fender, I need to do a bit but have to frame f reference at all most folks In massachusetts dont really run largewr than stock on thier caddys or prius

LandCruisinMy93

LandCruisinMy93

Been on 40's for 4 years and bent 2 housings...only broken 1 birfield, the stock one with over 250k miles on it...I have longfields via trailgear and have had no issues yet....but then again I didn't regear so having little less gusto to give helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom