What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tore out the diffs. Need to remove the actuators, box them up, and send them out to Zuk @gearinstalls.com for the 4.88's install. Overall, everything went very smoothly and was not terribly difficult at all. Those diffs are heavy, though! Used a jack to help lower the rear. View attachment 1543665 View attachment 1543666

How much is Zuk charging you? Is he sourcing the parts or you? I'm not ready for this project yet, so I don't want to take up any of his time, but curious for future reference. You can PM me if you don't want to post up pricing. Please and thank you!

Put the 80 to work all weekend taking loads and loads of household goods to my new place on the north shore.
View attachment 1543741
View attachment 1543738

The last family photo at the old house!
View attachment 1543740

The 80 finally at home at its new beachouse.
View attachment 1543742

And big props to my girl Monyca (local Maui girl) for getting a sweet diesel land cruiser to make an appearance in her photo shoot!
View attachment 1543739

Congrats on your new place! What series did Monyca buy? 80 series?

New shoes...

P9250026.jpg

Put the 80 to work all weekend taking loads and loads of household goods to my new place on the north shore.
View attachment 1543741
View attachment 1543738

The last family photo at the old house!
View attachment 1543740

The 80 finally at home at its new beachouse.
View attachment 1543742

And big props to my girl Monyca (local Maui girl) for getting a sweet diesel land cruiser to make an appearance in her photo shoot!
View attachment 1543739

Yes. Definitely big props to Monyca.

heimed my steering

Did you found a vendor " kit " or you gather parts yourself . .?

If your 80 it's DD or it's driven on road .. how it's the steering feeling now ?

You did this SOLO?

I guess I would never do that solo, seeing some of that trail. I am not an experienced rock / trail crawler yet (old mud guy from way back), but I would not be confident enough to do that solo, even though I'd like to. I love being out in those types of places on my own.

Yeah, It's a somewhat calculated risk I guess but being on top of a mountain by yourself is just awesome. My truck is in tip top condition mechanically and I always have a backup plan if I decide to tackle a rough section. I don't wheel hard at all so it seems to keep me out of trouble thus far. 90% of the wheeling I do is solo and not particularly rough terrain. Driving on a public highway is a FAR greater risk to my life. If my truck breaks...I have tools, supplies, food, lots of water and hiking boots.

Yeah, It's a somewhat calculated risk I guess but being on top of a mountain by yourself is just awesome. My truck is in tip top condition mechanically and I always have a backup plan if I decide to tackle a rough section. I don't wheel hard at all so it seems to keep me out of trouble thus far. 90% of the wheeling I do is solo and not particularly rough terrain. Driving on a public highway is a FAR greater risk to my life. If my truck breaks...I have tools, supplies, food, lots of water and hiking boots.

It's a good thing that wasn't a "rough" section! I know.....I see the stuff people post on here and I wonder what it really looks like in person. What I see in your pics would scare me to death to be on solo. Now after being experienced in trails like that, it's probably not a big deal anymore, but that looks pretty rough for me.

I still don;t have sliders or a lift for mine, but I also keep my truck in prime mechanical condition. I won't hesitate to get in it and drive thousands of miles.

I enjoy your pics!

I didn't do anything to my 80 this weekend. But I received my 4x4 labs front bumper kit and rear bumper kit with dual swing outs. So my weekends will be busy soon.

Ok!...... so, what’s the trick?

Do it while it's running. Get it up to temp. Turn off rig. Unhook the two hoses going in to the valve cover, and plug them (I stuffed a nitrile glove in them and taped them). Remove the intake and set it aside. Remove valve cover. Reinstall intake.

Loosen all of the set nuts. Then start the truck. Try to turn the screw that tightens or loose a the valve. Realize this is virtually impossible. Turn off truck. Remove main plug going to distributor cap so the truck won't run. Have your son (or some other person sit in the driver's seat and bump the starter to get the first set of valves in the owners manual in the "up" position. Now, slide your feeler gauge in and tighten the screw until it's a little snug but you can still slide it out. Keep your screwdriver in the screw and tighten the nut while holding the screw to keep it from spinning. Do all of the valves that are up. Then have the person bump the start to get the other valves up and repeat.

Once you are done start it up with the valve cover off and listen. It you still hear clacking try to isolate which one(s) it is. Shut off and double check the valve clearance because you screwed one up.

Then put it all back together. And enjoy the sweet purr of the night 3FE!

Did you found a vendor " kit " or you gather parts yourself . .?

If your 80 it's DD or it's driven on road .. how it's the steering feeling now ?
It’s from ruff stuff. It’s a “kit” but requires Fab work. Cut the dom down, welding them to the bungs and drilling out the tapered holes from the old steering. I used a step bit that went to 3/4” then used a fancy carbide tipped hole saw bit that is designed for steel. They drill very cleanly and with a 3/4” grade 8 bolt, requires slight tapping from a hammer.

I have a 3” icon lift coil and fix shock and I do not bind on any of the heims. I’ve dont this to my 1993 long travel truck and a couple gm turds. I’ve never had a problem and driven over 100k miles on gm spindles and 80k very rough miles on the Toyota. It had a total chaos kit on it, I was abusive and it was the most fun truck I’ve ever owned.

Our 80 did hauling duty this weekend as it was used to move my youngest son's 'stuff' to college. He starts his path to a mechanical eng degree at UC Davis. Empty nest now :(

From playing in the sand with his big brother:

s17a.jpg

To unloading his gear:

s17b.jpg

To settling in his dorm room:

s17c.jpg

cheers,
george.

Wow George.

Many congrats.

did not realize how much oil the list was leaking,replaced the o ring which broke into several pieces and replaced cap and rotor.
now elsie the cow leaks less than a harley and isn't as slow as one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom