Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That sucks... The silver lining is that it's fresh in your mind and your tools are ready to use so should go smoothly. Please post a picture so your fans won't have to bare that cross.

I did this too. Even after asking on MUD

I read tons prior to. I knew. But I was gung ho after work and didn’t step back and verify and just plowed in like my astrological sign... Aries, the bull, headstrong, stubborn and at ‘times’ (hahaha!) impatient.

For added insurance... I'd need to make sure the hoist is as far forward of that hole so I can shift it back far enough. Trans hump opening is 10" front to back. I can take the top hat off the trans at least too since I didn't use sealer so it doesn't stop movement.

Last edited:
Aries is a ram. Horny and bounds over obstacles.. But close enough :slap:
Hahaha! Oops! But yeah that definitely describes me. I’m simmering down some w/ maturity.

Remember, when they tell you it's a foot, that really means six inches

Remember, when they tell you it's a foot, that really means six inches
Yeah that’s pretty much what I’ve “learned/gleaned/discovered” over the years...

Well my pins were the wrong pitch. New ones from Napa this AM... first customer of the day! He had 3. Will shave off the heads so to not lose even that 1/4” of length.
Remembered I had slackline in the house w/ a huge ratchet. Foregoing the hoist idea cuz it’s just too beastly for me to move quickly. Strap around rear tail of tcase for horizontal support.

Sun bright, HOT, 70+ day already here in CT. Kid will see when I call him out. I really need to focus on this task.

image.jpg

80D71618-FE58-4CF9-A560-BB4F72CCD349.jpeg

0542BC36-E26E-4519-9044-096D4592C7F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Ready, set.... Toyota approved SST.

EC700214-A17D-4DB4-8E27-08248CAF364E.jpeg

B9B230CC-4977-4084-BD13-3D61A5E6D9A8.jpeg

AC088E03-E7E4-4BE5-9A4A-9D098FA5BABB.jpeg

Flipped. Not too many pics. I by chance had a helper... or I’ll say, I was the helper, he was the the one who made it all happen. In awe how chance can work so well when we least expect it. He literally pulled in as I was just slightly coming to a few seconds of frustrated tears. This was the first time we ever really “hung” out and the guy just stepped right the f up, no questions. Still in awe.

6D9493D6-8592-4400-A332-04508A5225C6.jpeg

Only this far to pull the cover and flip the disc.

90738093-642D-48A6-8102-6C25C0153A22.jpeg

Holy muther borrowed piece of SH%T tranny jack. Will never buy one ever.

2D6C23D8-F500-4A12-9DC9-6F61213B8967.jpeg

Shirt might be forever ruined.

3F1BC3FD-CF8F-4C5D-8077-8AD352781189.jpeg

Grease tan.

2F69353B-F83F-4C32-A976-0DC8A79204A0.jpeg

Last edited:
My internet is down... so I can’t see any comments if any. Wah. He showed up out of the blue about 1:15, I suckered him in w/in 10 mins and we were done (including a couple water/pee (me) breaks) by 4:30. Holy gads does it help to have a strong knowledgeable person at my mercy. :)

Phew! Internet is back up! I hate my dependence even more than my pathetic need to be in touch!

Holy muther borrowed piece of SH%T tranny jack. Will never buy one ever.

Yeah, not a scissor one like that - but a slightly more expensive Northern Tool hydraulic tranny jack has saved my ass numerous times. Well worth the $200 it cost me 15 years ago.

I’m pretty sure you’ve never been the helper!!! Amazing!
Inspirational!

I will be attacking my transfer case issue now that you’ve inspired me to believe that I can get it off and back on again. Last time it was so hard I’ve been putting it off for at least 2 years. Thank you for helping me want to try!

Hopefully I will have a strong knowledgeable man pull in to help me! LOL (and maybe I’ll get a northern tranny Jack, my HF one broke when I removed the tranny the last time around)

Thanks for all these posts of the process. Its been fun to follow your build and learn. What is the most difficult part of all that you have done? Or if you had to pick 5 things, combining tranny and engine rebuild...... Looking forward to the first drive report.

Test drive at daylight? :cool:
Still gotta add rear driveshaft. We finished and he was gung ho to keep going but I told him I had to stop to make dinner. We shared a celebratory beer while my kid ran around like a goon trying to shoot us w/ a plastic bow and arrow set.

Will see about that roll tho for sure at some point tmrw in more beautiful mild Nov weather. Rain coming Wed.

I am a proud member of the done that once and learned my lesson club. Should be a patch or a badge you can put on your toolbox.
Y’all are not alone. I can vouch for the really weird feeling when you try to engage the gears

Thanks for all these posts of the process. Its been fun to follow your build and learn. What is the most difficult part of all that you have done? Or if you had to pick 5 things, combining tranny and engine rebuild...... Looking forward to the first drive report.
Hmmm.... that task today was absolute tops. The jack stank pure and simple. I was funny talking what I might say to my friend I got it from often “hey doug, here’s your s***ty jack, thanks so much for letting me borrow it but it really is a peice of s***.” Once I got it lifted and the bolts out of the crossmember I realized I wasn’t even heavy enough to MOVE the combo. And I did make some dumb choices... no wood under the wheels on my crappy lumpy pavement was primary. I also had put wedges under the combo on the jack but didn’t strap THEM tight to the jack so as I pushed while by myself the jack was moving but the wood wasn’t so the jack went further behind and started to lose pitch under the TMS. That when I started to lose faith.

In total we used my floor jack and a block of 4x4 under the oil pan and his small hydraulic bottle jack to help out the crappy scissors jack.

I’ll have to ponder what other things to add to that but right now I’m still just fully in awe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom