Clutch Disc Intall -- Which Way ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
Clutch Disc Install -- Which Way ??

I've read the posts and FSM and it's still confusing -- Maybe I'm slow (maybe?) -- But I don't want to have to redo the darn thing.

So which side of the disc goes TOWARD THE FLYWHEEL (engine) ?

1 or 2 ? :confused::confused:
clutch0001.jpg
clutch0002.jpg

Last edited:
Well I went ahead and installed with #2 (flat side/ longer center) toward Flywheel (engine) ... Seemed to fit better that way...

Hope I done good.

S.

I am 99% sure the side with the snout(picture #2) faces out towards the trans. Just a note it will bolt up the other way but the clutch won't engage or disengage properly. There have been a few posts with this same question I will search and see if I could post a link.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Well that 1% got me it looks like you had it right.

LINK

Last edited:
Peter, you made me wet my pants.... :whoops:

Then I read the rest of the post...

:bounce: :bounce::clap::clap:

Sorry, I can't tell you which way. But, if you get it wrong, I guarantee you that you will not be able to shift gears on the go! The guy who rebuilt my engine put one in wrong and it would not release. Later, someone said that most discs have something stamped on them to indicate which is correct. I guess my message is: If yours works, then you know that you got it right.

#2 goes toward the flywheel for sure, that is how i put mine in months ago . there is more room to accomodate the spring pack bulge (#1) on the clutch cover(pressure plate) than on the flywheel this is my opinion I could be wrong although this is how i did and have not had a problem

Last edited:
#1 faces the input shaft of the transmission. You will have to remove the transmission and flip the disk. Did you turn the flywheel on a lathe? Did the flywheel have hot spots on it? If not turned and there are hot spots, it will shorten the usage of the disk.

Mean while, did you replace the pilot bearing?

holy cwap!

Spike, i hope that i'm not too late bud,#2 pic should be facing flywheel (engine) although i can't see pic 1 i'm dead positive #2 pic is facing flywheel.the reason is the side where it comes together and riveted is always facing pres. plate side i use to rebuild clutch disc in my younger years i hope that you get this in time and not have to do this over again. :doh:

John

Just read the rest of your comments and glad to know you went the right way,pic #1 finally showed up LOL.

Last edited:
Picture two goes to flywheel.
Pic from workshop manual.
Clutch.jpg

Gee, thanks guys -- Since this post is from 3 fawking years ago, I guess I haven't been able to shift all that time... Haryv, guess I'll pull the tranny just to check ...

Do you guys actually read the threads you post to (except Viper) ... ?

:flipoff2:

HAhahahhha I didn't even look at the dates, just assumed it was recent...
In the words of the great Homer DOH !

I guess it's in right, it's been working for 8 years (that's what she said!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom