How to change a clutch step by step with pictures + descriptions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my write up from a recent clutch replacement in a 1982 FJ60. Feel free to add anything I forget and I'll edit the original post so it is accurate.

Good links:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/262046-clutch-install-help-rear-main-seal.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/342535-my-clutch-change-experiance-pics.html

Factory Service Manual (download chassis-body-84-90)
http://hugh4prez.nate-online.com/Cruiser and M416 Manuals/

Things to do while in there replacing the clutch:
-New clutch disk + pressure plate*
-New pilot bearing*
-New throwout bearing*
-New main seal
-New oil pan gasket
-New plugs for t case/ transmission (4)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/409840-change-your-drain-fill-plugs.html
*all of these parts usually come in a clutch kit you can order.

It can be useful to degrease everything before you start. I skipped this step but was coated in gunk every night I worked on it.

1. Chock rig + set e brake
2. Disconnect positive terminal on battery
3. Unbolt 4 screws under shifter boot
4. Push metal ring under boot down about 1/2" and rotate it counter clockwise. Set the unit on newspaper somewhere dry and out of the way.
0824101105.jpg

4. Crawl under rig and take out 5 bolts holding on the metal undercarriage cover.
5. Mark with a crayon the position of your drive line brackets so it will bolt up correctly when it goes back together.
6. Unbolt front and rear drive lines. There is a slit in the cross member in front to get a wrench in for the front drive line.
7. Set the drive lines aside. I threaded 1 bolt on the end of each drive line so I could remember which way they went in. Also nice to know where the washers go when you put it back together.
8. Unscrew the speedometer cable and tuck it out of the way. Also unscrew the bolt to the ground wire in the rear of the transmission. (in this photo, speedometer cable is still attached but the ground is unbolted).
P9050011.jpg

9. Reach around the top of the transmission and disconnect the backup light/ 4wd connector (white plastic unit).
10. Unbolt the transfer shift lever from transmission, and take the cotter pin out off it and tuck it to the side.
11. Remove the exhaust on the drivers side of the transmission (2 bolts)
12. Support the transfer case with a floor jack
13. unbolt the 4 large bolts that go through the rubber housing holding the transmission in place
14. Unbolt the 2 bolts on the left side of the cross member mount that are vertical going down through the mount. Then unbolt the right side.
15. Take off the passenger side mount (4 bolts). The cross member should now be free and the transmissions weight is on the floor jack. Put all these bolts in piles or bags and mark the bags/ piles.
P9050012.jpg

16. Move in the transmission jack under the transmission and jack it up. You will probably need wood blocks to make it work with the transfer case. Strap the transmission to the transmission jack so it can't roll off. (show in roughly the right spot. Floor jack should be behind and towards the passenger side under the transfer case)
IMG_3144.jpg

17. Unbolt the cover under the bell housing (5 bolts)
18. Unbolt the 4 large bolts that hold the transmission into the bell housing.
19. Slowly move the transmission and transfer case backwards. As it goes back, you need to slowly let it down so the hump where the shifter comes out will clear the hole in the floor board. (in this picture, transmission is removed and you can see the release fork in front of the pressure plate)
IMG_3151.jpg

20. Keep moving backwards until the transmission is far enough back you can get into the clutch (2 feet or so).
21. Unbolt the 2 bolts holding the clutch slave cylinder
22. Pop the metal clips on the release fork that hold in the throw out bearing.
23. unbolt the bottom 2 bolts on the flywheel housing. Rotate the housing (kinda tough) and keep unbolting all the bolts until the housing and clutch disk are free. They will slide out the bottom of the bell housing.
24. Use an impact gun and undo the 5 bolts that hold on the fly wheel
25. Have flywheel get resurfaced @ a local machine shop
26. remove pilot bearing. This can be done by packing the hole with grease and then putting a bolt that is just large enough to fit in the hole. Tap on the bolt and the pressure should push the bearing out a bit. Repack with grease and try again. If this method doesn't work, get a puller. I found one at car quest the screws into the old bearing and then can be packed with grease via the zirc fitting. It worked great.
27. Remove the old rear main seal
28. Replace the rear main seal - lightly lube the new part with motor oil before replacing Slowly tap in evenly.
29. Light lube the new pilot bearing, place in hole and gently tap in using a socket that is the same diameter as the outside of the pilot bearing.
30. Put on resurfaced flywheel. Don't get grease on it, and use brake cleaner to clean the surface after installed. Also use blue locktite on the bolts. Torque to spec (it is sitting in the correct position in the pressure plate bellow).
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/129878-suggestion-faq-common-torque-values.html
31. Put on the new clutch and push the alignment tool through it to hold it in place (plastic deal that came in kit). Make sure the side of the disk with the protruding nipple is faced TOWARDS the flywheel.
P9050010.jpg

32. Put on pressure plate (aka clutch cover) and torque the bolts to spec
33. Use a rubber mallet and a large socket to knock out the old hub from the throw out bearing. Gently tap the hub onto the new throughout bearing. Make sure the rounded side is the side that goes towards the clutch and pressure plate.
34. Put the release fork though the rubber boot in the bell housing and attach the throw out bearing with the 2 metal clips. Lightly lube the face of the throwout bearing.
35. Put the clutch slave cylinder back on with the 2 bolts.
36. Lube the shaft on the transmission lightly.
37. Put the transmission back on. This will be a matter of pushing, jacking up, and fighting and cussing. Once you have the input shaft started it will kind of guide itself in. Keep it straight up and down and watch for things getting caught up.
38. See #18 and go backwards. Make sure the transmission/ transfer case is supported in the back with the floor jack when you remove the transmission jack to put the cross member back on.
39. When reattaching the drive line make sure the hubs on each end are aligned with each other. If they are out of whack you will get a horrible wobble.
P9050002.jpg

40. Make sure your transfer case lever is engaged
41. Done!
P9150241.jpg

This is all fresh in my mind because I did it twice. I put the clutch disk in backwards and found out about it after everything was back together. Not fun. And my torque wrench broke the second time around, so I wound up snapping a bolt off in the fly wheel and having to torque the flywheel off with an impact gun. Hope this write up saves someone some time and they avoid the same mistakes!

Last edited:
Thanks for this! Step by step tutorials are the best for idiot mechanics like me.:cheers:

I see a sticky here.. good job.

Mark

video

can you redo everything and put it on video then post it on you tube.then i can watch it while im working on my rig. just kidding a job well done BTW.thanks for sharing.:D

John:clap:

Nice write up:cheers:

I used that type of tranny jack when I swapped in my H55 and we bent the hell out of it because of the transfercase being so off balance.

One question though: on the clutch disk, you said it is supposed to be installed with the "protruding nipple facing TOWARDS the flywheel." What protruding nipple are you talking about?

One question though: on the clutch disk, you said it is supposed to be installed with the "protruding nipple facing TOWARDS the flywheel." What protruding nipple are you talking about?

I believe he is talking about the portion in the center of this shot.

P9050010.jpg

I believe he is talking about the portion in the center of this shot.

P9050010.jpg

Gotcha. I don't know what the other side of the disk looks like. Replacing the clutch is on 'the list' but is yet to be done.

REALLY well done - thankyou! I too vote for a sticky.

Nice work. I have that same jack. From Harbor Freight, am I right?

That strap on there really held the thing in place. And with some carefully placed 2x4's underneath it shouldn't tip over or bend.

I had to pull my tranny back out when It was stuck in gear. (Mis-aligned shift forks)

The only way I'm pulling the trans/transfer again is if I get a 5 speed. Then it will be worth it. :D

Another vote for a sticky!

thanks !! very good write up yep definately a sticky..

Clutch not engaging

Thanks for the tutorial it was a real big help. I am now having a problem with the clutch not engaging enough to allow me to get into any gear. Any ideas? Thanks again and thanks for the awsome and informative forum.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, did my clutch following this thread and everything was cool. Did it by myself, pulling the tranny and re-attaching was a bear but definitely doable solo...my advice on oil pan gasket replace: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I ended up spending 3 days trying to pry the old one off only to completely buggar it, had to get a new one...but this is the first time in 3 years my cruiser does NOT leak. Thankso again.

Yes, thank you for posting this tutorial. I'm tackling this job and it looks like i'm in over my head but I'm not going to give up

That said, I'm having issue with #10 "unbolt the transfer shift lever from the transmission, and take the cotter pin out"

My undercarriage is a disaster of 30 years of oil and grease and can't seem to find a bolt that can be unbolted? Is it the bolt that goes here (see pic)? It just seems to spin when I try to unbolt with no nut on the backside to keep it from turning.

Is the cotter pin located further down from that red arrrow? If so, how in the hell do you manage to get a hand, let alone a tool, in there to release the pin?

Any extra pics would be great.

IMG_3151.jpg

Still awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom