Who makes the best High Steer Kit for a FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't know the name of the company, but I heard there
is a company in Washington state the makes a nice one.

Talk to Luke at 4x4 Labs.

Hands down the best hysteer products.

Ditto Luke....

I run 2 trucks with the 4x4Labs high steer-great stuff. If you upgrade to 6 stud knuckles, he can supply 6 stud arms too. I even had him custom bend the custom arms on my FJ40. Very good stuff.

However, the 1 ton Chevy ends that Luke supplies seem to wear out fast. It would be worth it, to get the part numbers from him and order the real MOOG parts made here in the USA. The boots are much better and they don't seem to have the same problem with premature wear.

They are sold by Amazon, so easy to get and not too expensive.

Yep, Luke's the man!

School me gentlemen? What is the advantage to a highsteer kit? Beefier/higher protected tie rods and such? Luckily I live close to 4x4 labs so i might need to grab this kit.

Butch

Unless your truck is sprung over, not much.

If it is sprung over, the tie rod gets moved back up above the springs out of harms way. You don't have super steep drag link angle which can cause bump steer. Also, the high steer arms are typically significantly stronger than the stock steering arms they replace (though I've never hears of a problem with people breaking stock steering arms).

reviving an old thread here. i want to go high steer on my spring over fj40. i can not for the life of me get 4x4 labs to call me back. i’m not sure they’re even making their kit anymore. i tried ordering one a year ago before i hand my axle set up and he told me to wait until i had things in place so i could measure. at that time he said there were so many variables that he quit advertising them on his website but was still making them. now i can’t get a hold of him to even ask.

if i was to look at a high steer kit elsewhere what’s the best alternative. i don’t want to give bad press here. i just think it’s time to look elsewhere

Last edited:
I recently bought these based on a recommendation from someone a completely respect. Toyota Billet High Steer Arms They showed up at my door 4 days later. I'm very happy with them. Steering works great, and they're nice and beefy.

reviving an old thread here. i want to go high steer on my spring over fj40. i can not for the life of me get 4x4 labs to call me back. i’m not sure they’re even making their kit anymore. i tried ordering one a year ago before i hand my axle set up and he told me to wait until i had things in place so i could measure. at that time he said there were so many variables that he quit advertising them on his website but was still making them. now i can’t get a hold of him to even ask.

if i was to look at a high steer kit elsewhere what’s the best alternative. i don’t want to give bad press here. i just think it’s time to look elsewhere

I currently have Luke’s setup and it works great. Setup for 80 series tie rod ends and 1-ton Chevy draglink. I’ve toyed around with selling it since I don’t off road much. PM me if you’re interested.

To bad on that. I love my 4x4 labs. Setup. I dealt mostly through email with them.
I too am in Canada ,I think i phoned him once. I also had my stuff shipped up to Washington And went across and picked my stuff up. Maybe he isn’t interested in sending or phoning up to Canada. Who knows. I’m Just thinking out loud

i had a call back from 4x4 labs but the guy couldn't help me he said that luke would call back the next day and that never happened. i called and left a message again. no joy. im not waiting any more. just worried about after purchase support. i know they have a great reputation. i just wish i could have experienced it. oh well. i just bought the SORD ones (Toyota Billet High Steer Arms) and ruffstuff toyota steering kit (Toyota Crossover Steering Kit). i hope i like it. once i have the measurements done on that and get my spring perches and heights finalized i'll order a pitman are from cruiser outfitters. i have a bunch of other stuff to get from kurt too so i can wait for now.

i’m not sure they’re even making their kit anymore.
Does anyone know is the 4x4labs high steer arm production ended?

Is there other possibilities for high steer components which could maintain the original Ackermann geometry?

Aqualu Double steering arm is one but very pricey.

I could buy used one if somebody have one leftover (large mounting bolt pattern).

I understand the frustration, but there isn’t a comparison with the arms.

The Sky arms are too short and will place extra stress on all of the tie rod ends and the king pin bearings. The 4x4 labs arms are a longer “lever” and would allow for less stress at the joints and bearings.

The longer arms also require less input power from the steering wheel, box and the power assist if you have it.

last i talked to luke was over a year ago and by then his arms were off his website. he said he was still making them but there were so many variables that it was easier to call him and give him all the details and he'd put a custom kit together. hopefully he's still doing that but i tried calling, leaving messages emailing etc for three months and never could get to talk to him so i gave up. i hope the sky stuff works ok. its quite similar to most of the others out there (trial gear, marlin, iron pig etc)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom