High Steer Arms for 1972 FJ 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I apologize in advance for asking what might be a really stupid question but, I have been searching for several days and not found an answer. I have a 1972 FJ40 that I installed a JT Outfitters front disc brake conversion kit on. The JT kit went together pretty well and the disc brakes are much better than the factory drums. I’m currently collecting parts to put in Saginaw power steering which brings me to the factory steering arms and knuckles. The arms don’t look like something I want to take a chance on. If I were to go to Ruffstuff or Trail Gear knuckles and arms can I still use my current disc brake set up? During my searching I’ve found a lot of people who said get an axle out of a later model truck. Or they are able to source Toyota parts for the conversion. I have had zero luck with either of those options. If anyone could help me with my question I would greatly appreciate it. I’m new to the Toyota scene so I literally know nothing. Thank you again

Paul

At a quick glance either of those kits are the knuckles and arms. You're going to be missing a ton of other parts. I'm pretty sure your birfs, knuckles, spindles, etc won't fit. Then you'll have to deal with tie rods and drag link. The problem with the JT disc's is, it locks you in with weak coarse spline birfs. A complete disc frt end or knuckles and birfs along with the corresponding parts is probably the most economical path. Have you put a wanted ads in the classified section or post in the clubhouse sections in KY and OH or other states.

I appreciate the answer to my question. As far as the steering goes the drag link and tie rod are going away when I do the saginaw conversion. I guess my actual question was whether the spindles would bolt on to the knuckles I mentioned. Because I feel like if the spindle bolts on the likelihood of the rotor and caliper working might be possible? Another question is will the course spline spindle work with different/later style birfs and I'd imagine the locking hubs would have to be changed because of the splines on the earlier birfs too? Thanks again for your help and I don't guess I realized there was a clubhouse/wanted section on the site. That sounds pretty handy! I really appreciate that help too.

Idk for sure if your spindles will swap to late model disc knuckles. Looking at cruiser outfitters/cruiser teq's websight, they show 2 different knuckle rebuild kits. One for drum brakes and one for disc brakes. Usually for p/s folks reuse their tie rod and change or alter the drag link. They're are several different ways to adapt p/s, sag box out frt, fj60,80 scout or a stk box. Some are less obtrusive than others. I maybe able to cobble enuff parts for small pattern disc brake conversion, but wouldnt have the birfields. I can look this weekend if you're interested. I live in Ohio just across the Ohio River from Augusta.

In order to run any of the large pattern knuckles and/or steering arms, you'll need to upgrade your entire knuckle assembly to the later model setup which subsequently gets you bigger/better birfs, knuckle studs, bearings, etc. Unfortunately it makes the conversion disc brake parts you purchased obsolete. One of the many reasons we recommend using later model Toyota parts for disc brake conversions.

Our opinion on disc brake swap.

Are you SOA? Otherwise most common aftermarket steering arms (such as Trail Gear) are not going to work for you.

If you are worried about the strength of the steering arms attached to the knuckles after you install the Saginaw power steering, don't. There are plenty of us running this combination without having any issues. Not sure what size tires you plan on running but I run 33x12.5-15's and have since '76 and the prior owner was running them before I purchased it.

Unless you are planning on doing really serious wheeling, run what you have.

I ran the drum brakes, small pattern knuckles for a few years, as long as you put a 17mm end wrench handy and check those steering arm fastners every time you jump out they are fine, if street driving it is a non issue, they are fine as long as you check them and arent pounding them thru rocks for days on end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom