Stolen FJ40 - Seattle - Tips for the Future (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure this is allowed here. If not please remove. I posted in the Stolen Forum, but not sure people really see that area. But figured getting as many cruiserheads eyes on the lookout might be best. Plus added some thoughts at the end on what I could have done differently.

My Fj40 Was stolen from Seattle, WA (Phinney Ridge Neighborhood)
It was taken from my backyard over the Presidents day weekend. Normally parked out front, but over the weekend it was behind a wooden gate and hard to see from the road. So I do not think it was a random opportunity crime.

Build thread here: 1971 FJ40 - PNW Blue Patina - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1971-fj40-pnw-blue-patina.1221851/

Red Jerry Can on custom swingout (welded to frame), the 3rd brake light, rear reverse light under bumper, 8274 on OPMachine Bumper are the key outward features. Rear corners and sill have been fixed and the tire carrier mounting holes patches. So the tub is unique in that way.

Lots of custom stuff on the inside though, Custom 3 point harness adapters, 15" billet steering wheel, custom 3d printed knobs, SBC with 700r4, Terminator X, Lokar Shifter, Dakota Digital Gauges, Toyota Power steering, Toyota Disc conversion, etc.

1971 Toyota FJ40
Baby Blue Paint
WA Collectors Plate- 3734D or CV3734D
VIN: FJ4095923

Illustrator_tVylmzejDK.png
chrome_yj6a77SBk4.png

THEFT PREVENTION THOUGHTS?

Thoughts on future ideas to help prevent this ? Tips on what maybe we can do? These rigs seem fairly easy to steal. Lock cylinder can be undone with the simple connector so if you know what your doing can just bring your own + key, or hotwire it should be easy. Honestly wonder if you could just stab a screwdriver into it.

AirTags: I experimented with this by 3D printing a case for the AirTag and magnetically hiding it. However, this method has its limitations. The device failed to update its location after the vehicle was stolen, possibly because the thieves found and removed it. Apple's system is designed to alert users if an unknown AirTag is traveling with them, which might have led to its discovery. A potential improvement could be to disable the AirTag's speaker (can open them up and cut the speaker trace on the PCB), making it more difficult to detect I do think without the beeping they would have never found it. Maybe keeping one AirTag visible and easy to find while having another modified and hidden could serve as a clever decoy strategy.

Things I maybe would have done differently.
  1. Steering Wheel Lock: Maybe would have slowed someone down,
  2. Hidden Kill Switches: Hidden switch that cuts off the fuel supply or the ignition circuit.
  3. Terrible Tune: Maybe for long weekends I should make a really bad tune and load it up, so its hard/ impossible to start.
  4. Overall Better Security: Camera in carport, better lock on gate, Brighter motion lights
  5. Strategic Parking: Should have blocked in the truck with a harder to steal vehicle on longer weekends.
  6. Better Trackers? Cheap GPS Tracker? Lowjack? Cheap sim-card in a old phone? This seems to be like a $10 a month cost, mayber harder to hide.

Last edited:
I used to swap the wire from the coil to the distributor with a small rubber hose in my '65 Mustang. They'd never figure it out and the rig would certainly never start.

Now that I live in the middle of the mountains, they'd get attacked by dogs and then shot before reaching my 40s, so less of an issue now.

I use a Rocky Mountain Tracker, it has a phone originated fuel cut off. I works and through their web site so you can track it, even when parked indoors. Not sure if you’ll get a signal through a connex box but a warehouse, stick house structure or in a backyard, it works pretty well.

Do you have the engine a chassis numbers, I’ll keep an eye on craigslist and if I see an engine of piece parts from a blue FJ40 pop up I’ll let you know.

My wife showed me your post from Seattle cruiserheads about this, really sorry to hear.

For prevention, that’s a tough one. The AirTag we have doesn’t make any sounds but my phone will alert me an AirTag is traveling with me (paired to the wife’s phone when we use it). I have debated on hiding them in a hard to get to spot in the cars: inside the air cleaner assembly, way TF up under the dash or in the cowl vent. Things like that.

Do you know if they drove it off or got it on a flatbed or something? I’ve talked to a few LEO’s and people that have been stolen from. Few older cars are driven off, usually pushed a block away then driven or put on a wrecker. My buddy’s Dodge diesel was stolen a couple years ago, it was found 6 hours later and it was stripped to the bones. If something like an AirTag was in it, they’d have found it or been done by the time we found it. Interior, running gear, doors, hood; everything stripped and the carcass torched within 6 hours.

Do you know if they drove it off or got it on a flatbed or something?
Pretty sure it drove it off. My neighbor heard it start up around 9pm at night. They had a hard time getting out of the driveway, hit our porch, the gate and car port all on the way out. So maybe a drunk, high, or kid?

Air Tag updated for about 2 hours after that and stopped tracking. Checked out that neighborhood (2 miles away) and asked around but no one remember seeing anything.

Bummer 🙁 I lived in Seattle for 6 years and I’m pretty sure I drove by your 40 many times. Wishing you the best on a complete recovery.

Pretty sure it drove it off. My neighbor heard it start up around 9pm at night. They had a hard time getting out of the driveway, hit our porch, the gate and car port all on the way out. So maybe a drunk, high, or kid?

Air Tag updated for about 2 hours after that and stopped tracking. Checked out that neighborhood (2 miles away) and asked around but no one remember seeing anything.
Sorry to hear about it. I’m in Spokane these days but I’m always searching parts and stuff, if I see anything that looks like it could be from this I’ll let you know.

Dang Emmanuel, that is such a bummer. I sure hope you have/had good insurance for an agreed upon value that will help you through this.

At the end of the day it's a material item, and in the grand scheme of things doesn't compare to our friends and family's wellbeing and health, but it doesn't make it sting any less.

I think about you every time I get in my 40 because I enjoy my steering wheel so much. I hope you recover it soon so you can continue to enjoy yours.

I live in Renton, a friend of mine in Arlington sent me a Facebook link about this.

So sorry this happened, I’ll be sure the pigs are well fed if I find the person who took your truck, and I’ll help you fix anything they damaged on the 40.

Anyone with a winch on a trailer can make off with a classic car in under a couple of minutes so vehicle disabling devices are a waste of time. We should all be using a high quality tracker that sends a push notification if the vehicle moves.

I’ll be on the lookout. People suck. Really sorry.

So sorry that this happened to you. It really is so sad. Although it is small consolation for the blood, sweat and heartache, I do hope that the vehicle was adequately insured and that you are justly compensated for the value.

My wife showed me your post from Seattle cruiserheads about this, really sorry to hear.

For prevention, that’s a tough one. The AirTag we have doesn’t make any sounds but my phone will alert me an AirTag is traveling with me (paired to the wife’s phone when we use it). I have debated on hiding them in a hard to get to spot in the cars: inside the air cleaner assembly, way TF up under the dash or in the cowl vent. Things like that.

Do you know if they drove it off or got it on a flatbed or something? I’ve talked to a few LEO’s and people that have been stolen from. Few older cars are driven off, usually pushed a block away then driven or put on a wrecker. My buddy’s Dodge diesel was stolen a couple years ago, it was found 6 hours later and it was stripped to the bones. If something like an AirTag was in it, they’d have found it or been done by the time we found it. Interior, running gear, doors, hood; everything stripped and the carcass torched within 6 hours.
We really should start a thread on trackers if it hasn't been done all ready. I am into the AirTag thing but I can tell you, Apple cares more about stalkers than people getting stuff stolen. They are getting worse. So an airtag not connected to it's owner will alert anyone carring a Apple or Samsung phone within an hour if it is traveling with you. It used to be like 6-48 hours. I know this because I have a samsung phone and an Ipad for the airtags. Samsungs tags are the best IMHO, but I feel they will be on the same band wagon soon or not all ready. I have a airtag wallet and I get an alert about a tracker following me everyday. Samsung doesn't make a wallet that I know of, if they did I would buy it.

EmanC, I'm sorry about you rig.

I am sorry to hear this. I hope you get it back.

I sent this to my son in West Seattle - he's always sending me photos of Land Cruisers he spots around town.

Is your neighborhood up near the Woodland Park Zoo? My son goes up there every couple of weeks.

Truly awful story, I hope you get it back.

I used one of these on my truck: http://4wheelonline.com/Grant_Steering_Wheel_Security_Systems.43.2148

Its a pain to drag the steering wheel around with you if you are running around town, but great for parking your truck overnight (just bring the wheel in with you). No option to steer from within the cab means that they need a tow truck to grab your ride. I first saw this in a Jeep parked in Oakland 20 years ago, thought it was a great idea.

Cheers
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom