Stolen FJ40 - Seattle - Tips for the Future (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And keep in mind that in Seattle the cops are not allowed to pursue a stolen vehicle. They just have to wave to him as he drives away. This may have changed just yesterday, as I saw something on the news about that ridiculous law. BTW my oldest son recently opened a branch of his Orcas based 'Doe Bay Wine Company' in Phinney Ridge. Go in and tell him you heard he got his license in an FJ55.

And keep in mind that in Seattle the cops are not allowed to pursue a stolen vehicle. They just have to wave to him as he drives away. This may have changed just yesterday, as I saw something on the news about that ridiculous law. BTW my oldest son recently opened a branch of his Orcas based 'Doe Bay Wine Company' in Phinney Ridge. Go in and tell him you heard he got his license in an FJ55.
Ah nice. I get a breakfast sandwich at that bakery right there once a week. I'll stop by for sure.

I do have a Cruiserhead connection to the SPD now, so that has helped push things along a bit more, lots of updates, but will keep them on the DL for a bit longer. Feels like we are getting close.

Hargerty on my current fleet of four. Agreed value replacement cost, of course liabiliuty, 400.00 a year for the four. Can't be your DD.

@EmanC sounds as if you are very much on top of this. Wondering about Air Tags myself. Good luck & please keep us up to date.

I installed an airtag in Louie and now I need to go back in a remove the speaker. Here is the mounting case that I used.

1709235452409.png

I installed an airtag in Louie and now I need to go back in a remove the speaker. Here is the mounting case that I used.

Maybe keep a normal one uncased in the Ash tray, so if they get an alert that an AirTag is following them, they'll find that one and not look for a second one.

Hargerty on my current fleet of four. Agreed value replacement cost, of course liabiliuty, 400.00 a year for the four. Can't be your DD.
Same here on 3 cars (but more expensive). I also have “cherished value”, which means if it’s declared totaled you get it back at no cost.
About the DD: Hagerty doesn’t do mileage checks. They don’t necessarily say it can’t be your DD, they just say you have to have another vehicle registered and licensed on “normal” insurance.

Like @Skreddy said, the new "cherished Value" thing is pretty sweet. It is yours no matter what happens. Hagerty is pretty easy on getting the value up where it needs to be without much fuss. I did get denied once on my first gen 4runner. It was pristine and I babied it but when the girl on the phone from Hagerty asked if I was planning to off road it my response was no, but at the same time, many of the posted roads in Michigan's UP are pretty much bumpy two tracks and that is the most it would see. They denied me coverage because I was going to use it as an off road vehicle. Ironically, the very next issue of their magazine featured 3 vintage pickups being driven around on two track trails!
Now my answer to that question is no.

Since it's slightly related to the discussion, I'm curious what people recommend for insurance. Is Hagerty the way to go?
Read your Hagerty policy in its's entirety. They ask for many many things such as is it stored enclosed at your occupied residence.Do you take it offroad will you race it will you enter it into any competitive competitions more than car shows ect.

The one question I have on removing the AirTag speaker. AirTag uses the speaker to reset the owner of the tag or when you change the battery, it emits 5 beeps… 4 are the same and the 5th is different…how would you know?

So sorry to see this. The rig is beautiful. So sorry. If you want to share the pic of the person, feel free to DM me and will keep a look out. I don't live that far from you - close to Ravenna Park - similar issues...

I too live in Seattle and worried about this constantly. I have a clutch/brake lock (someone we knew who used to boost cars when he was younger told me to get this specifically - it's quite sturdy - someone would need to do some serious work to get it off and that hopefully would a deterrent - it is not the same as the steering wheel lock), a kill switch, and 2 air tags in each rig. I really like the clutch/brake lock - it is visible externally and that itself can be a deterrent from an attempt too - before they break a window or start pulling wires, etc. I have had people get into the car (unlocked, glove box open) and leave. Believe it or not, I actually have a box of tire spikes by my front door in case I need to chase after someone to stop them...3 of my neighbors have had their cars stolen in the last 2 years. My other neighbor had a new Tacoma for only 2 weeks before some dummy tried to steal it but cut the engine harness.

The one question I have on removing the AirTag speaker. AirTag uses the speaker to reset the owner of the tag or when you change the battery, it emits 5 beeps… 4 are the same and the 5th is different…how would you know?
Doesn't matter for this. The speaker is just for you to know the battery has been reinstalled. So the beeps "happen" you just cant hear them. Could also reinstall the speaker if you really want. Uses an inductive coil to power them. So literally just pop it back in and the will beep again. If you listen very carefully you can still hear them beep actually. but its extremely faint without the speaker.
So sorry to see this. The rig is beautiful. So sorry. If you want to share the pic of the person, feel free to DM me and will keep a look out. I don't live that far from you - close to Ravenna Park - similar issues...

Guy actually "lives" in the Ravenna area. Floats between there and the Fremont area. Fj40 was last seen there. Last known area was the Ravenna Eckstein Community Center.

Update:
I have a strong lead on who stole it. It's a homeless guy that lives out of a RV. The guy has quite a few vehicles spread around the area. Been tracking him for awhile hoping I see a place he may have hidden the truck. Cops tried to help for a bit, stopped/ questioned him, but could hold him on anything. There is video of him dumping the AirTag from the 40 + plus video of him around my property the night it was stolen. However, I think he's just a middle man and offloaded it, cause tracking him hasn't lead to any good hiding location's. His living situation doesn't really lend itself to being able to use it. Not giving up hope quite yet, but its not looking good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom