Stolen FJ40 - Seattle - Tips for the Future (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We really should start a thread on trackers if it hasn't been done all ready. I am into the AirTag thing but I can tell you, Apple cares more about stalkers than people getting stuff stolen.

Yeah the AirTag is an ok idea but has it flaws. Think it can be optimized though. Multiple ones, speakers cutout, apple and android versions.

However, I think something like a Pet GPS collar might be the best option. But those are monthly cost. But probably unique enough that someone wouldn't know what it is if they saw it.

Is your neighborhood up near the Woodland Park Zoo? My son goes up there every couple of weeks.

Yup, pretty much right next to it. I run thru Woodland almost every day. If he's in the area a lot, he's for sure seen it around. Pretty much my grocery/errand runner when the weather is nice.

Last edited:
I had my 76 FJ40 sitting in a driveway in Shoreline, WA for 4 months!. This cuts close to home

Based on this thread (Threat?) I have ordered two of these , one for the 76 FJ40 and one for the 97 Series 80.
LandAirSea 54
looks like if I pay up front for 24 months I get it for 10/month.
Not much more than the price for a spare tire.

Will report how it goes.

Really sucks.

As you’ve found AirTags are ok but have limitations. Kill switch will help with AirTag.

This thread has good ideas and the way I’m going is. DIY GPS with SIM card tracker.
Anti-Theft Solutions and Brainstorming - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/anti-theft-solutions-and-brainstorming.1262199/page-2

This one seems promising, cheap and step by step how to do it. Seems around $1-$2 a month in SIM charges for real time tracking.
Botletics™ SIM7000 LTE CAT-M1/NB-IoT + GPS Shield Kit — Botletics - https://www.botletics.com/products/sim7000-shield

When I leave my rig for awhile, it’s in a shed, tucked in back, other vehicles blocking it in, security cameras on property and other things to keep it safe. However it can be stolen from a store parking lot or somewhere.

Real-time gps seems with alerts seems to be the best way to find it. If they want it bad enough, they can get it physically.

Pretty sure it drove it off. My neighbor heard it start up around 9pm at night. They had a hard time getting out of the driveway, hit our porch, the gate and car port all on the way out. So maybe a drunk, high, or kid?

Air Tag updated for about 2 hours after that and stopped tracking. Checked out that neighborhood (2 miles away) and asked around but no one remember seeing anything.
Sorry to hear this. Have you tried checking to see if anyone in that neighborhood has a ring camera or another sort of camera? Hell maybe local businesses as well

Fj40’s are stupid easy to hot wire, so any kill switches, theft prevention is useless. Removing the dist rotor is way more effective and theives are unlikely to figure that out. Unfortunately this will likely get parted out or shipped to mexico? Dont give up, keep checking for sale ads, this is a big community with lots of eyes out there!

Sorry to here about the theft.

I have an airtag and kill switch installed in my truck. Airtag is hidden under the dash and is not easily accessed. The kill switch is used when i leave the vehicle. It is not super complicated, however if they try and bypass the key in the column, a horn sounds inside the cabin. I try not to leave it unattended for very long.

Unfortunately, nowadays, locks are for honest people.

Doesn't work for day to day but for stuff sitting outside even just for a long weekend i'd put it on jackstands and remove the tires. Even just the front or back would work. Only takes 10 minutes

Would at least keep someone from hotwiring and taking away or even quickly loading on a trailer

Damn sorry to hear about this. I’ll keep my feelers out.

My best theft prevention technique is to pull the coil plug wire and take it with me.

Last edited:
No major updates on the truck itself. Strong candidate for who stole it. Cameras have him roaming around my property and he was in possession of the FJ40 AirTag (dumped it at a grocery store and was caught on camera). Have a clear photo of his face and clear photos of his bike and license plates.

According to the cops, the motorcycle he rides has the wrong plates on it. He rides a Honda, but the plates are for a BMW. Cops have put a alert out for the bike/him. But no luck on the truck.

Last edited:
Those wanting to go the AirTag route. I recommend doing this to remove the speaker. Will make it very hard to find. AirTags beep if they haven't seen their paired account in 3 days. So the airtag in the 40 would have been constantly going off. Easy to pinpoint when they do that.

Using a case like this and burying it deep inside the dash, gas tank area, heater area, or in the seats.
Can print yourself or the guy sells them for $6 on Etsy.

Last edited:
No major updates on the truck itself. Strong candidate for who stole it. He is seen roaming around my property and was in possession of the FJ40 AirTag (dumped it at a grocery store and was caught on camera). Have a clear photo of his face and clear photos of his bike and license plates.

According to the cops, the motorcycle he rides has the wrong plates on it. He rides a Honda, but the plates are for a BMW. Cops have put a alert out for the bike/him. But no luck on the truck.
I would highly suggest hiring a private investigator to find the dude and shake him down hard. The cops will be NO help, other than to call you if they find it abandoned.

I would highly suggest hiring a private investigator to find the dude and shake him down hard. The cops will be NO help, other than to call you if they find it abandoned.
And beat the living s*** out of him. Man that s*** really pisses me off. I hope you get it back soon with minimal damage or none.

I’ll add, we recently recovered a stolen work truck with the assistance of a GPS tracker (we use Verizon trackers as its a bunddeled package with our work ticket program theough verizon). They do work. The cops were no help at all, even with real time tracking watching the truck travel away on the tracking software. Its funny how they showed up real quick when they were called back and are told the perps were being held at gunpoint in the stolen vehicle. Its a sad state of affairs we’ve allowed our society to deteriorate to. I hope you get your truck back @EmanC

No major updates on the truck itself. Strong candidate for who stole it. Cameras have him roaming around my property and he was in possession of the FJ40 AirTag (dumped it at a grocery store and was caught on camera). Have a clear photo of his face and clear photos of his bike and license plates.

Time to find a cop, and bribe him for an address

@EmanC has been awesome in his pursuit of this individual I must say. He stole from the wrong dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom