What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Modded a 60 series trans X-member, test fir the tub (marked and made adjustments) stripped the underneath and sanded the tub sides.

J

P1020067.JPG
P1020092.JPG
P1020102.JPG
P1020116.JPG
P1020117.JPG

Last one I swear. Can't even tell I put a 4" lift on! No lift and 31s then 4" lift and 35s. Now that everything suspension wise is done I can start on the rear quarters. Plan is to trim the wheel wells for clearance when stuffing them, but keep the factory lines and lip. Similar to cruisershirts and his 45 on Instagram. Finally making enough progress that I may have to start a thread...

image.jpg

The Hood Support Rod Issue

Have you ever tried opening the hood with a hot engine bay?

Many of you already know the Hood Support Rod is located just above the exhaust manifold and it gets very hot to the point where it will burn your fingers while trying to open the hood and support it with the rod. While the rod is sizzling hot you prop the hood with one hand while the other hand is trying to withstand the burning sensation and trying to find the little hole to rest the rod into. In the process you burned yourself and scratched the surroundings of the rod hole rest, what a pain! So I came up with this solution.

First remove the support rod from the hood, while engine is cool, and place it on a vice and remove the cracked rubber grommet.

full

Then find your self a half inch hose the about six inches long and push over the rod
full

Like this and also replace the rubber grommet that goes on top of the rod
full

Then remove the rod from the vice and reinstall it like this
full

Then install a larger rubber grommet to the support rod hole like this
full

...and you are done scratching the paint and burning your fingers!
full

full

Then I used couple of hose clamps to keep the hose in place
full

Viola done!
full

full

I hope you patented this before you posted, Mike!! Great idea - great job!!

Thanks Danny! Have you experienced the hot rod burning? I have on many occasions and I just got tired of it, so I pondered a solution and acted on it, problem solved!

Thanks Danny! Have you experienced the hot rod burning? I have on many occasions and I just got tired of it, so I pondered a solution and acted on it, problem solved!

I certainly have!

I can't even open the hood right now, because of my torn olecranon-triceps ligament... but there's no engine in there anyway :crybaby:

Riley (@jetranger) used hydraulic struts on his legendary build. This injury may push me to go that route, when I am again able to do so.

Your idea eliminates burned hands - Riley's makes it easy for those of us who are standing with one foot in 'the home', to lift the hood and not have to feel like an overgrown pole vaulter, trying to stab their 'pole' in that little hole - use of innuendos here, is optional :worms:

Stealing it!!! great solution....

I certainly have!

I can't even open the hood right now, because of my torn olecranon-triceps ligament... but there's no engine in there anyway :crybaby:

Riley (@jetranger) used hydraulic struts on his legendary build. This injury may push me to go that route, when I am again able to do so.

Your idea eliminates burned hands - Riley's makes it easy for those of us who are standing with one foot in 'the home', to lift the hood and not have to feel like an overgrown pole vaulter, trying to stab their 'pole' in that little hole - use of innuendos here, is optional :worms:

I like the gas shock idea. Done it to everyone of my 60s. Will look into this.

J

Tried to change the thermostat. Turns out my other thermostat was fine, but my water neck...less so...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yeah, gas shock... not hydraulic strut... it's a wonder I didn't call it a steam powered lift...

Please share what you find Jason!

Will do Danny, McMaster-Carr LOVES MY MONEY!!! :crybaby:

I have been replacing and adding tools over the past couple months. I figured the new build needed a new set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers..

Got some panels filled and rough sanded today.

J

P1020128.JPG
P1020129.JPG
IMG_20150605_160623_520.jpg

Will do Danny, McMaster-Carr LOVES MY MONEY!!! :crybaby:

I have been replacing and adding tools over the past couple months. I figured the new build needed a new set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers..

Got some panels filled and rough sanded today.

Good job and good screwdrivers!

But, what about Charlie? What's he been up to?

Tks, it's an FFR, i built it. Only a 302 but I installed and tuned the ITB injection. Megasquirt ROCKS! The 302 is being replaced by a all forged internals 347 soon. Thinking the 302 would be great in the FJ40.
View attachment 1082160

Man, so pretty. Two iconic cars in one garage.

Good job and good screwdrivers!

But, what about Charlie? What's he been up to?

He was at the vet getting his teeth cleaned this morning. Now he is whining... He's fun to watch coming off his anesthesia.. Follows us around "telling us about it"

J

Some of you have pm me about the paint use in some of the pieces that I posted before in this tread. So I figured since the people in this forum have been so kind to me I would share the steps that I used to accomplish that finish. First I started with 1/2 light grey, then I added 1/4 darker grey and finished with gold color. The gold color part took me like three tries. Just add little at the time until you reach the closest match that you are satisfied with. I used a spray gun. Here is the final product. Cheers.
image.jpg

Some of you have pm me about the paint use in some of the pieces that I posted before in this tread. So I figured since the people in this forum have been so kind to me I would share the steps that I used to accomplish that finish. First I started with 1/2 light grey, then I added 1/4 darker grey and finished with gold color. The gold color part took me like three tries. Just add little at the time until you reach the closest match that you are satisfied with. I used a spray gun. Here is the final product. Cheers.

Great job!!

Test fit bib, bezel and grill.....

View attachment 1088397

Nice.. I'm going to remove and mod the mesh on Tank's grill. I have it narrowed down to these 4 samples.. I'm thinking #2 and rotate it 45 degrees to get a diamond pattern across the grill. Then I could possibly make headlamp grills to match.

J

DSC00214.JPG

EDIT--- Here is another mesh I put in my 60 grill. I like it too.

J

DSC00279.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom