What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled the top off the Troopy!
image.jpg

Picked up couple of NATO Jerry cans and one Mil spec water can, will be hitting the trails tomorrow with the:princess:.

Cans are sitting on 1/4 inch isolation rubber to prevent road jarring damage.

full

Pulled the top off the Troopy!

Busy putting the top back on mine for winter, but has found some hidden rust on the doors (hidden by the PO with lots of bondo :mad:), so its not going to be as simple as I had hoped. Should have known, nothing ever is with these trucks!

Undercoated Tank's tub with two coats of Chassis Saver.

How did you like it? I have a can ready to use on the bottom of my tub as soon as I finish all the fixing!! Did you blast the bottom or just remove rough stuff? Did you spray it or brush it on?

*Edit NVM, jumped over to your thread and found the info on your spray. Looks great!

Thanks!

Last edited:
How did you like it? I have a can ready to use on the bottom of my tub as soon as I finish all the fixing!! Did you blast the bottom or just remove rough stuff? Did you spray it or brush it on?

*Edit NVM, jumped over to your thread and found the info on your spray. Looks great!

Thanks!

Wire wheeled everything. I left the fan blowing on it all night to speed curing. I went with the satin finish. Dried finish is dull/chalky looking. Now I need to decide what top coat to use. I will probably go with my standard SEM products..

Jason

Installed the new mirrors so now i can roll doorless in the 45!

Used the 70 to pull a few bushes out of the ground at my rental property. Did so after spending about 3 hours fixing parging. Of course I splattered dirt all over the fresh parging when the roots flung out. Hopefully the surface was dry enough that the dirt can wash out before I do my final skim coat. By the way, doing parging sucks!

*Edit... Wait, this is the "what did you do to" not "what did you do with" thread....

So, um, I welded in some more floor patches in the box of the 40.... Only 6 more big ones to go. Sheesh.

Maiden voyage across the city of La Paz, Bolivia and beyond to a reservoir that supply's water to the city from the surrounding mountains. Overall very impressed with the stock FJ40. Brakes leave something to be desired for city driving, thankfully we won't be doing much of that.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434292302.359600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434292337.862828.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434292407.534029.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434292474.904962.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434292488.574814.jpg

Oops I landed in the same pothole as MrMoMo and didn't read the title of the thread. What did I do TO it this week? Worked on some wiring issues, set the timing, found a radiator leak, pondered how to improve the GNV system. Rebuilt the brakes a couple weeks ago and they work okay. I can skid the tires on pavement without excess pedal force but holding the vehicle from rolling back on a hill takes a lot of leg. Does that mean my rear shoe adjustment is too loose? The drivers here will pull up within inches of your rear bumper in stop and go traffic on a steep hill....stressful to say the least.

Last edited:
Maiden voyage across the city of La Paz, Bolivia and beyond to a reservoir that supply's water to the city from the surrounding mountains. Overall very impressed with the stock FJ40. Brakes leave something to be desired for city driving, thankfully we won't be doing much of that.

Enjoyed your pictures... You 40 looks great, when I blow up the pic!

Your last pic shows your hand gripping the wheel... You really need brakes wherever you drive!! :rolleyes:

Top coated the Chassis Saver with 3M undercoating. 2 coats and the finish is great. Drained the gas tank that didn't leak a drop over a week long test. HA! needed to go to a few baseball games and relax a bit. I think I will coat the inside of the fenders and maybe the gas tank with the 3M as well.

J

P1020226.JPG
P1020227.JPG

I spoke to my engine rebuilder this week. My engine is disassembled and he told me there was nothing to prevent a good rebuild. No spun bearings or anything. The issues found:
  1. All top rings were broken
  2. Cylinders are tapered, slightly wider at the top. Pretty common for an engine this old.
  3. Cam is bad
  4. Crank needs turning.
So, it needs:
  • New Domed Pistons
  • New cam
  • Mating surfaces decked
  • Bore cylinders .020 over
  • Turn crank 1010
He's gonna find OEM parts... If he can't, I will. Note: @allan man pointed me to a set of new Domed Pistons, but I want to let the rebuilder try to source parts first.

He'll know more about the head, once they magnaflux it, but he thinks it's fine.

They dip the block twice. It's in the tank now. Once it's clean, they will magnaflux it, as well. But, he doesn't see a problem with it either.

I've asked that they replace the oil galley plugs with threaded pipe plugs.

I reminded him about head gasket orientation.

He told me before that he has rebuilt a lot of 2Fs over the 30 years he's had his own machine shop... Just doesn't see them often nowadays.

So, no bad news, thus far... Hope it holds!

He should have a good idea regarding when the rebuild will be done by the 1st.

So, there you have it...

Well done sir...That's good news...!

Sure is... sounds like "44" will be up and running in no time. Now we just need to get @pngunme where he can keep up with us on 12oz curls...

Hopefully the tricep is close behind on the recovery list.

Great news Danny.

J

Thanks Jason and Jeff!! @reevesci @Chungas Revenge

Tricep is on the mend - can't start working it yet... But, it feels more 'normal' now... Just feels 'tired'.

I'm not rushing the rebuilder... I know him well enough now to know he runs a very organized machine shop. It'll be ready to go back to the auto shop, when it's time. I'm guessing I'll be towing the ghost of 44 back to the auto shop within the next month, before we leave on our camping/fly fishing trip.

I'm curious to see if the mechanics are able to hook everything back up, without asking me anything... Like my tach, vacuum gauge, hood lock, ignition interrupt, hand throttle, etc. All added by me. I'm guessing they took pictures... We'll see.

Thanks Jason and Jeff!! @reevesci @Chungas Revenge

Tricep is on the mend - can't start working it yet... But, it feels more 'normal' now... Just feels 'tired'.

I'm not rushing the rebuilder... I know him well enough now to know he runs a very organized machine shop. It'll be ready to go back to the auto shop, when it's time. I'm guessing I'll be towing the ghost of 44 back to the auto shop within the next month, before we leave on our camping/fly fishing trip.

I'm curious to see if the mechanics are able to hook everything back up, without asking me anything... Like my tach, vacuum gauge, hood lock, ignition interrupt, hand throttle, etc. All added by me. I'm guessing they took pictures... We'll see.

Great Danny, I'm more familiar with the 60s than 40s BUT, I take more pictures than a group of Asians at Disneyland... Sometimes I even have to stop and think.... "WTF is THAT and where did i put it....."

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

J

Great Danny, I'm more familiar with the 60s than 40s BUT, I take more pictures than a group of Asians at Disneyland... Sometimes I even have to stop and think.... "WTF is THAT and where did i put it....."

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

J

Thanks Jason! I think I know where everything goes and the mechanic was very good... And the auto shop owner is like the machine shop owner... Both very organized... They used to race each other years ago... So. They are both old school.

I was hoping to get up your way this year... But, with 44's surgery and my issues, I might be able to head up that way in the spring... Gunner and Chester are dying to meet Charlie... We'll see...

Finally got the SOA back under with a HFS kit. Did a full cut and turn. Ran into an issue with the steering linkage. Looks like a Saginaw swap in the near future.
20150614_180928[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom