Builds JPs '74 Resto-Mutt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

74HogGuy

Lifetime Rookie
Threads
I've had this 40 since March of 2011 and decided that I should probably start a thread to better document the odds and ins I've done to it. Here's what she looked like when I first got her home:

image.jpeg

VIN Tags have her as a February 1974 build. I've affectionately come to call it my mutt as the more I've dug into it the more I've found that are not original. Frame and cowl may be the only things that are from a '74. I learned quickly that the back half of the tub is '75/'76 with tire carrier in the drivers side and emblems on the passenger side. It has an old split hood from an early 70s model. The F engine is from a 1970 and the windshield frame is later with the wipers on bottom.

So here is how she sits today:

image.jpeg

I've decided to fully embrace the mutt aspect and pull in the different year model aspects that I like. I changed out the front bib for one from a late 60s model with the running lights. I've also changed out the fender aprons in favor of the side marker lights. Also in the process of changing out the front signals for late 60s versions and added the old square side views.

The plan is for a slow resto-mod as time and money allow. Beefing up some aspects while trying to maintain the stock aspects of 40s that I've come to love.

I'll catch up on other mods to follow, but it'll be a slow go so bear with me.

Justin

The first mod was to get it a little more "drive-able". I swapped out the old 3-speed for a 4-spd that I rebuilt. It wasn't so much as the unsynchronized 1st gear, but the synchro that was shot between 2 and 3! I used georg's tcase saver and nose cone saver as well as some AA twin sticks.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Next was a switch to mini-truck power steering. I plan to upgrade to a Saginaw gear box soon so I can eliminate the drag link now that I'm running 35s.

image.jpeg

I'm currently running the HFS 4" lift with the 2.5" extended shackles that I installed last year.

image.jpeg

I had Stockton wheel widen some stock steelies to 8" so I could run 35x12.5 KM2s

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The last thing I've done as of late was replace my shot seats for Procar Rally 1000s and added shoulder belts and a Tuffy console.

image.jpeg

Next up on the to-dos are installing some NOS OEM fenders that I picked up recently.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like a nice start! Curious where you picked up the NOS fenders.

Thanks! Passenger side fender is still available at the dealership. I did some hunting for the drivers side and found one in Germany from a mud member.

Justin

Interesting. ill have to check with the dealership. I know I keep running the parts numbers and find sites with them supposedly instock. (both sides)

Glad to see you're documenting your progress, always drool over the pictures with widened rims when you have posted them. Great start! also digging the rat rod look with bare metal/various colors/new tires.

Glad to see you're documenting your progress, always drool over the pictures with widened rims when you have posted them. Great start! also digging the rat rod look with bare metal/various colors/new tires.

Thanks! I have some friends that tell me I should just clear over the bare metal and go with that look, but eventually it's going to get some paint on it. I'm between 6H9 olive grey and FJ Cruiser Army Green. I'm leaning towards the dark green at this point.

image.jpeg

The plan is to start cutting the rear quarters and sill out when it cools off and get the new ones welded in. I'm going to let the 100 deg weather pass first.

Have fun with that rear sill! I am still working my way towards the front of my 40 repairing the rusted mess the bondo bandit left behind!

Boss rig!

Pulled the trigger on an IPOR rear bumper that will be here towards the end of the month.

image.jpeg

Started stripping all the stuff off of the back end of my 40 to get ready for it when it gets here. Now I'm debating on going ahead and replacing the rear sill and quarters now that I'm reminder about the Swiss cheese of a rear end it has again.

image.jpeg

Decided to get my OEM passenger side fender installed today so I can get the old ones out of the garage.

image.jpeg

After pulling the old fenders I can add another random year to the mix. Looks like the front fenders were off of a 2/76 model.

image.jpeg

And with the new fender mounted:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I suspect that the cowl is also newer than 74... It wouldn't surprise me if the tub/cowl/windshield/fenders were all from a 1976.

Does your frame # match the one on the plate?

My 74 had a 4 speed stock... your 3 speed could have matched the engine. How much space was there behind the T-case after the 4 speed swap? From the pic there looks like lots of space... your frame may also be newer.

Join the club. Most of the truck I bought in 1991 is long gone... It's a true Frankencruiser Now... last count was 32 vehicles... but I've stopped trying to keep track. I live in a small enough area, that it may have even got parts from the same donor found through different source. I've also ended up with a split hood... the spear on it was never a cruiser part before... beer can perhaps though.

@bikersmurf - The frame is definitely of '74 origin. The A-pillar tag matches, but who knows if it wasn't transplanted.

image.jpeg

My fuse box is next to the transmission tunnel which someone told me was more torwards the 74 and earlier.

image.jpeg

Definitely had plenty of room behind the transfer case when I did the swap.

I'm actually happy that it's not stock...one less thing to obsess over!

My July 74 has the Fuse panel on the A-Pillar near the tag. My vent tubes go down the engine side of the firewall. I believe newer ones go through the tranny cover... but the newer one I replaced mine with didn't though. Not sure all the different years. I should, given that my truck has so many years of parts... Ranging from a split hood up to an '81 hardtop with vent windows. Not to mention a '69 350 from a SBC... in some ways I'd rather have a 2F, but back in '96 getting a new F series wasn't an option and the stock F motor was going to cost me more than 3K... which was more than 40s were going for back then and way out of my budget.

My fuse box is next to the transmission tunnel which someone told me was more torwards the 74 and earlier.

I just removed a fuse panel from a 9/73 rig, it was on the "A" pillar next to the vin tag,

My 7/74 is on the "A" pillar also.

OK, Reread the previous post and see you already said that, my bad.

Hard to say if those are original or aftermarket pop rivets... At least it appears that you own the truck you have. It likely came with a 4 speed... but who knows with changeover years and mutt rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom