What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went for a quick spin out behind the house yesterday to celebrate Spring. Wound up getting stuck and leaving the rig in the woods overnight and spending half the day today on the extraction. My girlfriend was a huge help and (mostly) kept a good attitude during the whole job. After a solid half hour of watching me using my Hi-Lift as a comealong she said "If you're going to use your Cruiser like this we're buying you a f'n winch!" :bounce:
Cruiser Trip 4-10 062.jpg
Cruiser Trip 4-10 058.jpg
Cruiser Trip 4-10 051.jpg

Removed the tub

Pulled the tub on my 69 40 ( didn't have to cut a single bolt what does this mean?) and dreamed of grandeur thinking I will have this done in two months, anywyays had fun this weekend tooling on my rig getting it ready to be my daily by winter hopefully ( I think Shiner Bock should help me pick the paint)

DSC_0936.jpg

DSC_0935.jpg
DSC_0935.jpg
DSC_0936.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a quick spin out behind the house yesterday to celebrate Spring. Wound up getting stuck and leaving the rig in the woods overnight and spending half the day today on the extraction. My girlfriend was a huge help and (mostly) kept a good attitude during the whole job. After a solid half hour of watching me using my Hi-Lift as a comealong she said "If you're going to use your Cruiser like this we're buying you a f'n winch!" :bounce:

a winch is much needed in that mud---looks like "ole south Georgia (Gawja) swamp muck"........kinda sucks ya in.....:hillbilly:
glad ya got your rig out un-harmed..........:meh:

Built a new fuel pick up hard line based on Coolerman's website. I didn't have my original to template from so I just eyeballed it. Ended up usable. Didn't get to install it as the mounting clamps along the frame need time to let the penetrating oil soak in.

Also replaced the fusable link, the fuse had melted and fail on one of the terminals. Looks like I have some gremlins to chase down.

And the discovery of the day when I was looking at the hard return line, I have about 1" of caked mud in my frame. How to fix that I have no idea sans undertaking a frame off.

Man....where do I begin??

I've spent the past 3 hours installing my new Besttop Softtop for Voodoo Blue FJ40. - What a pain to do by yourself!
Since it was fresh out of the box, it was really difficult to stretch it to fit, but my baby's not a top on now!

I also found out that I've got to rebuild my front knuckles...as the driver side is totally loosey goosey - so much slop in the knuckle - not good!

I also installed new front calipers from NAPA - loaded them up and threw 'em on!

Cheers-

I just got home for 2 weeks leave from IRAQ. I am 8 months into my 12 month deployement. I washed the cruiser which was covered in pollen, Its been in the garage but my wife had it in the driveway for a few days and it was covered in yellow pollen..I took the top off and put on the bikini top. Then took my 5 year old boy out for a ride in what he calls his landcruiser..He has been waiting 8 months for this.
DSC00858.jpg
DSC00873.jpg
DSC00876.jpg

I just got home for 2 weeks leave from IRAQ. I am 8 months into my 12 month deployement. I washed the cruiser which was covered in pollen, Its been in the garage but my wife had it in the driveway for a few days and it was covered in yellow pollen..I took the top off and put on the bikini top. Then took my 5 year old boy out for a ride in what he calls his landcruiser..He has been waiting 8 months for this.

That is awesome! Enjoy the time man. Make it home safe and thanks for your service!

Thanks for serving. Stay safe over there.

Drove up Tucson Mountain to swap out a bad antenna (4wd low, 1st & 2nd gear). Coming back down, I was reminded of how bad drum brakes are when they get very hot.

Well, it started with adjusting the fuel sender...

Then I started cleaning up the wiring I used for my dual battery setup - behind the front seats (still only one battery).
In the process, I removed the large ammo box I had bolted in the rear - it holds the amp (stereo) and some miscellaneous repair items.
When I opened the ammo box, I saw that the bottle of brake fluid leaked though a seam in the box and onto the bed. This blistered and removed the 173 coats of paint a PO (or several POs) applied, down to the metal - though in some spots it did not ruin the original paint. So, I started sanding down the bed without the necessary tools. Now I'm just going to get the stuff I need to finish sanding and painting (or POR?) the bed.

I gave up AGAIN trying to fix the hazard light issues....

I really need to take one of the auto shop classes at the local JC.

Well, in the approx 2 years I have owned my 70, it has spent 70% of the time getting the motor rebuilt, and 29% of the time in the paint shop. The other 1% of the time I had it and it was raining or snowing ;) So looking forward to being able to contribute more to this thread in due time. Maybe I should get my painter to join this thread so I can keep updated on the status of it ;)

Jonny

well. i washed my rig:D...........painted the glove box lid, and ash tray lid pewter, cleanup and primed the new ( used) original 1974 console, i got ...........put $26.01 worth of Gas (man it's really went up-- 2.65 per gallon is crazy:eek::eek:)........got my new ( used ) fender apron form a fellow Mudder.........and drove it all week............and a extra 60 miles cruise on Sunday in the sun:cool:
IMG_1315-1.jpg

77 FJ40 is now Rustic Green

After what seems like years of doing body work ( since November ) I painted the tub over the weekend. Painted the inside first and masked it off to do the outside. I still have to straighten the drivers door and paint it but other than that the body work is done. This weekend I will finish buffing and polishing the paint. I'll really be glad (so will a few employees) to get parts picked up off the floor and back where they belong -- on the Fj. I also mounted the windshield glass into the frame. The new Energy Suspension body mounts keep jumping out of the box and then I have to put them back in the box again. I guess they want to go for a ride.
Fj40 Paint Shop 007.jpg
Fj40 Paint Shop 009.jpg
fj40 043.jpg

well. i washed my rig:D...........painted the glove box lid, and ash tray lid pewter, cleanup and primed the new ( used) original 1974 console, i got ...........put $26.01 worth of Gas (man it's really went up-- 2.65 per gallon is crazy:eek::eek:)........got my new ( used ) fender apron form a fellow Mudder.........and drove it all week............and a extra 60 miles cruise on Sunday in the sun:cool:
IMG_1315-1.jpg

$2.65.........It's $3.09 here in washington. Great Pic.

Installed the fuel pickup hardline I made from Coolerman's directions yesterday. The standard padded clamps needed some work with the dremel to allow the bolts to fit. Installed the proper fuel filter and hooked up all the hoses.

I also hooked up the vacuum line to the carb's diaphragm. I had broken off the manifold vacuum port when installing the bracket for my rod linkage. Currently am tapping vacuum off the line to the break booster. Down side: disconnected the vacuum guage.

Made a seat cradle, and fixed the bottom of my seats that had a case of "saggin-ass", and added to my sliders. Now I have to pull everything to finish weld, sandblast and paint.
P1010757.JPG
P1010762.JPG
P1010760.JPG

IMG_0647.jpg

Installed H41, Orion, and an Iron Pig Off Road skid plate; drove it for the first time in a couple of months. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom