Cheap stock air cleaner lid gasket replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Biscuit

Mars Rover Driver Emeritus
SILVER Star
Threads
As part of my continuing upgrade to stock at Mark's, I bought a stock air cleaner for my F motor.

After blasting and powder coating, the OEM felt lid gasket was no more. :doh:

I decided to explore options to make a gasket to avoid the $OR aftermarket one.

This is a 1/8:banana: job. Total cost ~$8.

I went to the hardware store and bought some 5/8" automotive weatherstripping with adhesive.

material.jpg

The weathersripping has two ridges that allowed it to be easily separated in to 5/16" wide strips, each with one ridge.

separating_strips.jpg
material.jpg
separating_strips.jpg

Last edited:
Before removing the adhesive backing, cut a single strip to length and test fit. Trim the strip so that it is snug and not bulging, but has no obvious gaps. Note when cutting to length, err on the long side so you can trim the strip.

dry_fit.jpg

Once you are happy with the fit, begin at one end of the strip and install by removing the adhesive backing and pressing the strip into place. The adhesive is along the circumference of the grove in the lid.

Press firmly to ensure a good bond.

And you're done. All you needed was a kinfe or a pair of scissors and weather stripping.

installed.jpg
dry_fit.jpg
installed.jpg

Very Nice. I made a homebrew one out of felt, but it didn't come out nearly as professional looking.

Rocky

What hardware store did you get the weatherstriping? I like that it's rubber, and is made in the USA:clap:

ive seen that brand at home depot, prolly at lowes to.

I picked up the weather stripping at OSH. Though should be available at any of the bigger boxes.

This one was pretty cheap too.

airfilter.jpg

What an idiot, they have the Pringle man on the wrong end! :rolleyes: :D

Good work on the gasket, looks OEM. Let us know how the adhesive holds up.

FJ40 Stock air cleaner rubber gaskets

Where can you find the two rubber gaskets that go on the top and bottom of the air filter in a STOCK air cleaner housing for a '71 FJ40? Thanks!

FJ40 Stock air cleaner rubber gaskets

Where can you find the two rubber gaskets that go on the top and bottom of the air filter in a STOCK air cleaner housing for a '71 FJ40? Thanks!

Pretty sure I have some.:) AFAIK, they are still available at the dealer too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom