What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yap, same mess up here.
Looks like you still had a good day out though 👍🏻

How do you like those Generals?
I like them but haven’t put them to much use yet besides posing and paved roads. They are reasonably quiet and look decent. Will see when we finally get some rain how they do on muddy forest service roads, then in the snow.

Thank you mate for sharing pics from this great meeting!

Do you have, perhaps, more pics from this beautifully restored Ute? I think the use of the 70-Series bed/tray on a 40-Series Pickup is of particular interest...
Sorry, that’s all the pictures I got. If you google Mckinnons cruisers he does a lot of this stuff up my way. He has a Facebook account and instagram as well. 👍🏼

I drove mine around and took some pics. Loved every minute of it!

0DDE8838-3760-4466-80BC-544154B39642.jpeg

Rehabilitating the "road map" first before refreshing the Cruiser. Costs less for similar time and adventure.

While the shop listen's to anything produced by Rick Rubicon, from the 80's on. Just got a ReadyWares jumper cable bag to go on the 40's back floor, going to fill it because the weather is currently not cooperating.

Used the 40's geared jack to put a Civic front on unserviced 14" steelies. That plus scissor jack, done before sundown, yesterday evening. Half of an aluminum undercarriage air dam was dragging. You have to cycle the suspension so many times just to get a lift, not too tall, that can accommodate, lumber and masonry cribbing, under the jack and the tire. (I can't believe that I just used the word "cribbing" while discussing shade-tree-mechanics online.) Then place it on steel wheels before climbing underneath - just like at the "pick-and-pull" but with air in the tire. For some reason, the wheel chocks sold commercially look like they will slide on some surfaces because the inclined part by the tire has so little tire over it to hold it down. I'm using lumber ones that you wedge in with a lead-shot dead-blow-hammer. So glad that I didn't have to do this on something like a highway-grade-shoulder. Gonna operate an air-guitar before I operate an air-hammer.

Tackled the headliner yesterday. First time doing one. Watched a couple vids and read some posts. A little help from a few members as well. Not perfect but ok for my liking. Definitely better than before.

F20FA63D-4BC6-40C3-AEFD-462FCF4D774F.jpeg

C5E60B9E-864C-4D08-92E3-735CD2B00153.jpeg

48DEA291-0453-488B-86B3-978D1A2F0C91.jpeg

27B77425-4F43-40AB-98FB-B83A1BA29FC9.jpeg

Went to the pumpkin patch. Crazy year, would normally be happy to have a day in mid October with light rain and upper 50’s. Today was 80 and so smokey you can’t see half a mile.
View attachment 3142558

Yap, same mess up here.
Looks like you still had a good day out though 👍🏻

How do you like those Generals?

You’re both very close… when the same cloud of smoke covers us all. Yesterday was bad… it was thick enough that it was hard to breathe outside. This much smoke is very concerning.

As much as I have been enjoying this warm weather it needs to rain. Streams leading to salmon breading grounds are almost dry and their beds are completely covered with dead salmon. The Carmanah valley rainforest is starting to turn brown. Hopefully it’ll rain soon… it’s needed very badly.

Well, today was eventful...
The first start in 22 years, got the timing set, the first oil change in 22 years, and the last flushed the coolant. It's running great now. All I need to do I run my PCV valve line to my intake and my valve cover breather to my air cleaner.

But then I blew a line going to my slave cylinder somehow?...

So after running the engine for a bit, I'm questioning two things.

1 - Is it normal to have white smoke coming out of the valve cover

2 - what is this black substance coming out of the exhaust? It doesn't feel like oil.

IMG-2010.jpg

Smoke coming out of the valve cover could be excessive blow-by which will also show as carbon/water mix in exhaust.

What's a fix for that?
Well after sitting for 22 years I would just drive it for a while and watch it. It could be stuck rings that may free up. You could pour ATF into the cylinders and let it sit for a few days to maybe help free them up.

What's a fix for that?
Well, today was eventful...
The first start in 22 years, got the timing set, the first oil change in 22 years, and the last flushed the coolant. It's running great now. All I need to do I run my PCV valve line to my intake and my valve cover breather to my air cleaner.

But then I blew a line going to my slave cylinder somehow?...
Did you park it 22yrs ago or did you just get it? How did it run 22yrs ago? I think it's to early to tell what's going on. Drive it a bit and see if it clears up. The white smoke is probaly moisture, it could be condensation from sitting so long. The blk is carbon, it maybe running rich. Sitting for that long it may need a rebuild. Again Drive it a bit, and baseline it. Adjust valves and such.

I took my 3 year old for a cruise today to kill some time. Ended up at my dads house about an hour away. Was coming back down the long steep hill he lives up and was in first gear letting the engine keep the speed down when BANG! and the speed picked up and the engine just free revved in any gear. Stopped at the bottom and nothing obvious. Ugh, maybe 4wd can get us home? The t-case had popped into neutral. Forgot the 3 year old was playing with switches and levers, must’ve got it half out of gear.
Took a pic of the smoke, doesn’t look as bad as in person. Rain Friday….
D1CF060E-4BB4-402C-83C5-A577C7B30C7F.jpeg

I took my 3 year old for a cruise today to kill some time. Ended up at my dads house about an hour away. Was coming back down the long steep hill he lives up and was in first gear letting the engine keep the speed down when BANG! and the speed picked up and the engine just free revved in any gear. Stopped at the bottom and nothing obvious. Ugh, maybe 4wd can get us home? The t-case had popped into neutral. Forgot the 3 year old was playing with switches and levers, must’ve got it half out of gear.
Took a pic of the smoke, doesn’t look as bad as in person. Rain Friday….View attachment 3144405
Blah, hopefully you get some of the weather coming this way over the weekend to douse those fires. We still have a few burning here but they benefited from some rain a couple of weeks ago.

Did you park it 22yrs ago or did you just get it? How did it run 22yrs ago? I think it's to early to tell what's going on. Drive it a bit and see if it clears up. The white smoke is probaly moisture, it could be condensation from sitting so long. The blk is carbon, it maybe running rich. Sitting for that long it may need a rebuild. Again Drive it a bit, and baseline it. Adjust valves and such.
The PO had put it in a barn 21-22 years ago. Have only had the cruiser for about 6 months.

I agree I need to get this thing on the road and drive it to figure out what's wrong/if anything is amiss.

So after running the engine for a bit, I'm questioning two things.

1 - Is it normal to have white smoke coming out of the valve cover

2 - what is this black substance coming out of the exhaust? It doesn't feel like oil.

View attachment 3144259
The water could just be condensation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom