'Beige Baby' 1976 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, This is where I'm going to be posting updates on my torn apart fj40.

Backstory: This was actually a gift from my father that got it off someone for $3500. I thought it was a snag because it was running, and not any more than normal rust.

Plans;
-Power steering
-4 inch lift
-De-smog kit
-need to lay a nice undercoat
-need to spray the body
-new front bumper
-rear tire holder, and carrier.
-new headlights
-need to patch the inside of the tub (3 spots)

I am currently working on cutting out rear quarter panels, and a the sill plate.

And probably more to come.

Here are some photos I had taken today.
IMG-1029.jpg
IMG-1030.jpg
IMG-1027.jpg
IMG-1023.jpg
IMG-1029.jpg
IMG-1024.jpg

Because I am waiting on parts I have decided to make make a switch panel. I still need to move the button on the left over a bit.
(going to put new radio in tuffy console.)
1643849555358.png

Nice starting place to make a really nice truck. Not knowing what size tires you are thinking about, I would question the 4" lift. If you are staying close to stock height, I would suggest 2" Old Man Emu instead.

Nice starting place to make a really nice truck. Not knowing what size tires you are thinking about, I would question the 4" lift. If you are staying close to stock height, I would suggest 2" Old Man Emu instead.
I mean, I am really not sure. I love the look of 35's. At the same time personally I think the stock height looks odd. So in the end it comes down to a 2,2.5, or 4 inch lift.

Well have not had a lot of time to work the on FJ40, but I do have some questions.

Is there a plugs for the thermostat housing, because I have eliminated the emissions equipment.
Or is there a whole new thermostat housing I can buy.

IMG-1149.jpg
IMG-1148.jpg

Also what these ports, and what will I need to do with them if I have no smog equipment.
pic 1.PNG
pic 2.PNG

I know this is getting long, but does anyone know where I can get this kit.

It has been out of stock for a long time. The most important part is the block off plates, and I can't source them anywhere.

1644802637604.png

First picture circled in red on the valve cover should have a hose that connects to your air cleaner (center of pic) its j shaped.
Second pic in red is your pcv valve, when you de-smog and use above block off plate the right angle brass barb screws into the plate and end of pcv valve hose attaches to use as vacuum source. See below thread.
@FJ40Jim here on mud used to sell egr block off plates among other vendors.
valve cover hose.jpg

Last edited:
First picture circled in red on the valve cover should have a hose that connects to your air cleaner (center of pic).
Second pic in red is your pcv valve that connects via a hose routed near the firewall and connects a port on the head. Mine connects to the port that you already have a hose connected to in the first pic in red to the right of the temperature sender and open valve cover port.
@FJ40Jim here on mud used to sell egr block off plates among other vendors.View attachment 2934576
So what can I do with the hose that connects to the airbox?
Then where should I route pcv?

What is the location of the hose for the air cleaner?
Front?
Above post edited on PCV
This thread from the 60 series forum may help as well:

Last edited:
What is the location of the hose for the air cleaner?
Front?
Above post edited on PCV
This thread from the 60 series forum may help as well:
I removed the air cleaner, I am just running a weber carb with a air filter onto.

I have seen a post where someone put one of these on the top port on the head.
1645659025665.png

Check out post 33 thanks to @firefighterjed, regarding valve cover hose to weber air filter

E5EC0EF6-A706-4A0A-9995-380953BFB8D0.jpeg

2.5 inch pro comp springs. After doing this lift I don’t think I’d want any taller. It is a noticable difference over the stock, sagging springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom