Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Billyfj7312ht

Should only take ten minutes
Threads
G,day folks,

My project started 18 months ago when I found a 1985 FJ73 Landcruiser in my drive way.
IMG_0195.jpg
Phone 067.jpg

It all started when I saw her for sale across the road from where I played pool in a mates shed. It had been given a rough patch up, but would be a great project car if the seller was to get serious about the selling price. Apparently I must have mentioned it a few times at home and after about six months (a few days before xmas) my missus unbeknown to me negotiated a very good price and put it in our driveway xmas morning.
P8250525.JPG

I originally thought I would just go to the local wreckers and get some parts needed, clean her up a bit, put a 350 in her and keep it for toying around on tracks close by to where I live, but as I drove her around I was really starting to like everything Toyota and my build brief started to include touring, camping/fishing and more extreme 4WDing.
IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Now I’m no mechanic or panel beater but coming from a builder/cabinetmaker background I understand the importance of structural strength, form and function. I have a good idea of what I want and would value any member’s opinion and help along the way, positive or negative as long as it is constructive. The following photos show my journey to date then I’ll list my final brief.

As I pulled her apart it became more apparent the previous owner spent ALOT of time covering up the cancer. At first I thought I got the car for a steal, but as I stripped her the new parts I needed started to add up and I'm not the sort of guy to turn a blind eye to the rust and just build over the top of it. there was only one option left.........because my wife only spent a couple of grand I would consider this just parts costs and strip her right back and start from scratch. (the car not my wife):)
PB300159.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

P6010706.JPG

P9080062.JPG

I thought the best way was from ground up, so I got back to the bare chassis.
Problem #1: the chassis could be sandblasted on the outside but the inside was worse.
Answer #1: do the best attempt on inside clean then get it galvanised - could warp? ------ cost $700.00
#2: google around find chassis in great condition from Dubbo Aust ----------------- cost $350.00 + 2pac paint
IMG_1122.JPG

PB150116.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG

and now I will methodically remove brackets,clips,fuel and brake lines, diffs etc, clean and paint anything I can re-use and put them on the new chassis using the old chassis as a sort of template.

My main aim is to end up with a reasonably standard cruiser. I'll probably always have a recent turbo diesel ute for work and would sacrifice this for extended trips in the sand to the likes of Frazer Island.
This doesn't mean my FJ73 won't be able to tackle the tracks or rock climbing, just not extreme stuff and I'm sure there will be sand involved when I tour this great big land. At this point I intend to leave the running gear alone, I drove her around for about 6 months and she seemed pretty tight and only had about 250k on the clock (hopefully not all in the sand). Same with the gearbox and transfer case. One of the main reasons I went the Landcruiser way is I can replace anything as I go along because the parts are all throughout Australia and are cheap. Unlike the Landrover,jeep etc.
I just want to get her back on the road, modified to suit me, I know I could play around with the ratios, suspension, etc but they are already pretty capable machines stock std and it also gives me an opportunity to tinker and modify her over the next decade.
Every man needs a project!!

Nice job on the chassis mate. :)

Not as nice as his work boots LOL It is a great job he is doing. These things do go pretty well in the sand with the 3F ,although they can use a lot of juice in an afternoon.

Not as nice as his work boots LOL It is a great job he is doing. These things do go pretty well in the sand with the 3F ,although they can use a lot of juice in an afternoon.
You know why crocs have holes in the sides??...........Its where your dignity leaks out.:)

PA260077.JPG
PB020081.JPG
PB020083.JPG
PB150102.JPG
PA260075.JPG

I replaced all CV seals,bearings, shims etc, mainly with after market parts except some hard to get items like rubber crank boots and 2 gaskets. These are all consumables to me and will probably be replaced or repacked more often than usual because of future mods.

So its starting to get close to where I'm at now, chassis mostly fitted off, fuel and brake lines cleaned and flushed and most brackets and associated hardware re-installed. I had to re-tap the holes due to the 2 pac and I will probably have to replace some elbows and fittings on the fuel and brake lines but I'm pushing the chassis finish off aside for now and turning onto the body and doors.
PC130096.JPG

Fit off so far:
2" suspension lift
FRONT - Med - heavy leaf springs to take 12HT 6 cylinder turbo diesel - winch with rope - Bullbar - Kangaroo
REAR - Med leaf springs to take 150kg extra weight permanently but hopefully not too hard.
BRAKES - Mostly new to original specs
NEW - tie rod ends, CV and Hub bearings and seals, Gearbox mounts, diff gaskets etc.

IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG
PB080098.JPG

P3290140.JPG
P3290141.JPG
P4050190.JPG
P3290122.JPG

So now the body is stripped (fuel lines,filler kneck, brkts etc removed after this shot) and as you can see there is alot of rust at the front pillars, floorpans and sills of the body.
Problem #2: Getting lazy now, this things starting to give me the sh!ts.
Answer #1: Mate does front chop, re aligns, cuts rust, re welds ...inc firewall......$1200 +.... if I can find a front cut??
Answer #2: Google around find a body shell down in South Australia..................$100.00

OK. So it cost $900.00 to get it up here.

I have just finished a 12Ht install into a FJ40 chassis (I also added 80 series coils suspension all round), now I am doing the same as you and building a RJ70 chassis and going to install a 12HT as well.

My question is this, on the FJ40 chassis I did not have to move the engine mount brackets on the chassis as some types of 40 series came with a 2H which is the little brother to the 12HT, so what plans do you have in regards to the 70's chassis engine brackets? will you have to move them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom