What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back from powder coat.

20220402_104932.jpg

20220402_105510.jpg

@d6crawler

It’s too bad you’re on the wrong coast ;)

I’d like to get my hands on a walking foot machine… the one I have is a great machine for many things but it has its limits.
Yes, at a minimum, you want a walking foot and reverse so you can tie the knot. If your still running a clutch motor, do yourself a favor and install a servo motor. It will give so much more stitch control. You can buy one on eBay for about $100. They have an adjustable speed control and you can do 1 stitch at a time. I run a Consew 18, it is a upper and lower feeding walking foot and reverse. It's a Singer 16-188 knock off. Most old sewing machines like consew, rex, chandler are knock offs of singer and the parts are usually interchageable. They are all good machines. Do your research, most industrial machines are designed for light weight fabric and speed and you don't want that. The ultimate machine for me would be a Consew 205rb, compound walking foot, which means the needle walks too, bigger horizontal bobbin, and an oiling system.

20181010_231556.jpg

20180624_174048.jpg

Last edited:
Every time I see one of these ragtops I get the urge to make one.

Step 1) Industrial sewing machine…
View attachment 2967982

2) Practice on smaller projects…
View attachment 2967979

3) Find enough time… still working on that.

I figure by the time I have the rockers, windshield frame, bib, and 1/4s done, I’ll know the new machine like the back of my hand. It works well and I’ve just got a couple things to fine tune on it before moving on to bigger projects.
You should check out the Sailrite videos, they have several on making boat covers and tops. If you need more intricate guidance on interiors and general sewing technique. Watch videos by cechaflo. He's really good.

You should check out the Sailrite videos, they have several on making boat covers and tops. If you need more intricate guidance on interiors and general sewing technique. Watch videos by cechaflo. He's really good.
I have made a sail (genoa) from Sailrite with a friend for his boat. We used a normal sewing machine for all but the re-enforced corners. With that we had the ability to do a zig-zag stitch and so on. What kind of machine you need depends on how heavy the fabric is. The machine I use was set up for sewing leather with some speed reduction though a lot of guys doing leather turn the machine by hand. I've never tried leather but that seems a bit like a pain.

The chechaflo guy is good for sure.

Yes, at a minimum, you want a walking foot and reverse so you can tie the knot. If your still running a clutch motor, do yourself a favor and install a servo motor. It will give so much more stitch control. You can buy one on eBay for about $100. They have an adjustable speed control and you can do 1 stitch at a time. I run a Consew 18, it is a upper and lower feeding walking foot and reverse. It's a Singer 16-188 knock off. Most old sewing machines like consew, rex, chandler are knock offs of singer and the parts are interchageable. They are all good machines. Do your research, most industrial machines are designed for light weight fabric and speed. The ultimate machine for me would be a Consew 205rb, compound walking foot, which means the needle walks too, bigger horizontal bobbin, and an oiling system.

View attachment 2969516

View attachment 2969517
I’ve mostly used clutch type machines. I’ve done lots of fine leatherwork with very precise stitching… doing one stitch at a time. I’ve also done a lot of upholstery work on custom wheelchair seats. The most complex being foam in place side layers with no seams under the client.

This machine currently has a variable speed motor, and came with an oiler… which is fairly advanced for its day (1940ish).
BE5B11F3-1E2F-40DA-9B29-C5971343455D.jpeg

There are many ways around the lack of reverse. It’s not a walking foot, but has a 5/16” capacity, and so far has sewn any material I’ve fit in that space. Even 6 layers of leather or 10 layers of denim haven’t been a problem. :D

The 140/54 needles currently in it will handle just about any thread I can get my hands on… at the sewing shop they referred to them as nails (rather than needles).

Last edited:
I have a Consew 206-RB.
0AE6F7DB-D855-4903-9FFF-1F6D2E71F609.jpeg

Great machine. Swapped in a servo motor which was money well spent. I bought it used for $800, so I could redo my boat, knowing that I could sell it for the same price when I was done with the project. That was almost 10 years ago. I can’t bring myself to sell it. It’s incredibly handy to have it available and it gets used about every month on one thing or another.

Redid my seatbelts here: HERE

The boat turned out pretty well too.
BEFORE:
915C3F4A-FE6F-4047-8906-138915E75B71.jpeg

AFTER
A740C137-12AD-4CC9-94BE-1819A202275F.jpeg

Thanks to @Jdc1 who first suggested lengthening the wheel bass and all those who also helped with input. Chassis is 300mm longer now and I think it really looks great now. Bit of work to do re-centering the wheel archs but that's nothing major. And the rear drive shaft angle is much much better now
20220331_113651.jpg
20220331_113647.jpg

No pics said:
Do share what products you used for this.
Also what roof rack are you running?

Mounted up the 40 cal. fish stick holder for the season.
View attachment 2969180

No pics, but I added a wireless remote to the winch. It’s a economy no-brand unit, but I was able to add it without disabling the wired remote, so there’s a backup if the import electronics fail. It’s pretty slick.

Do share what you wireless remote you used.

Do share what you wireless remote you used.

Roof rack is home made. Kept it low so it still fits in the garage with the rod box and/or ski racks on.

Wireless winch remote was on Amazon
Amazon remote
Generally good reviews with a couple reports of faulty remotes, so I ordered the kit that contained two remotes. There are ZERO instructions for installation so you’ve got to figure out what wire goes where, but it wasn’t too difficult. I’m happy that I was able to add it on without disconnecting the original wired remote connections. The wired remote remains as a good redundancy. The receiver fit inside the OEM solenoid cover on my 8274. I chose to epoxy it in place, but in hindsight, zip ties probably would’ve been adequate.
069EBB6B-5455-4BC3-AECE-1F6FA2957226.png

Took the 40 out to the local cars and coffee. Noticed this when I went out to start it.

Looks like I'm going to need to get a jump on rust mitigation before it becomes a real PITA to deal with. It's not the rustiest part of the truck, but definitely a spot that can get really hard to deal with really fast.

PXL_20220401_151631684.jpg

Thanks. That would be quite a nice feature for the old winch.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom