What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (61 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still in body work purgatory. Opening every cavity to clean it out and remove rust before I start re-assembly. Found some PO had dropped a screwdriver down the post hole for the hard top. I played the most excellent… Wild Stallions! game of operation and retrieved it. No way in hell I’m letting some Philips Head screwdriver violate my restoration. I may have left it if I knew it was a JIS.

View attachment 3226158View attachment 3226159View attachment 3226160

And a couple of rust photos for fun.

View attachment 3226163View attachment 3226164

Two public service announcements: 1) do not put any undercoating or bedliner type product under your 40. It just traps water and causes more rust (my opinion, take it or leave it) and it makes repairs more difficult,. 2) this is a my bad situation. I sandblasted the tub. Don’t do that. It gets into all the seams and cavities and isn’t worth it. If I had to do over again I would have the tub chemical dipped. Oh well, next time.
If you don't undercoat, then what do you do with it to stop it rusting??

If you don't undercoat, then what do you do with it to stop it rusting??

don't drive it outside your carport at your flat when its monsoon season down in OZ mate ...... :confused:

1630908291613 - Copy.png

I am neighbors with @PitterPatter in body work purgatory. I might actually be worse off. Maybe should’ve done aqualu but I wanted to learn welding and am not a quitter.

View attachment 3227067

View attachment 3227068

View attachment 3227069
Pick your battles. I was in the same position and decided to go with the aqualu tub. If I had tried to fix the body, I would still be working on welding and grinding, rather than driving and enjoying. There are plenty of small areas on the cowl and forward (and the top and doors if you are running them) that will need welding, and there is plenty of other stuff that will need your attention and time.
1674473750608.png
1674473994007.png

It's been a good week for installing FJ40 parts! First though, thanks @bhsdriller for the heads up on the locally available FJ40 fine Art, I found 4 available at my local Hobby Lobby.

Art.jpg

I found this nice 3d printed set of cup holders to fit in my new center console. The guy had a video on youtube and then a link to his personal website where he sells them. The TOYOTA lettering is a nice touch. I want to put a spacer under it to lift it up some because my favorite coffee cup still hits the sides of the console.

CupHolders.jpg

And now for what I all have been waiting for :) @hyhpe got me an air intake horn, which was the very last piece I needed to complete my air intake. It's really nice and powder coated, fanciest paint on my 40 :). I also got pieces from CruiserParts.net and CityRacer. I know it's in my head, but I swear it runs better now!

AirIntake.jpg

Hope everyone has a great week!

@mattressking I am curious why you are against powder coating frames? I have a family 1972 F250 highboy project that we are about to crack into. The plan has been to powder coat the frame.
IME powder coating gets compromised fairly easily, and when it does, corrosion starts working, invisibly, inside it.

IME powder coating gets compromised fairly easily, and when it does, corrosion starts working, invisibly, inside it.
Precisely - well said. Galvanizing and paint or ecoating and paint is the only good way to go here, however that is for folks that are looking for the best. I myself don’t trust powder for frames under a variety of stresses due to how easily powder can crack and begin rusting. My theory is purely based on how well it can be applied to all nooks and crannies, which is why I prefer galvanizing or ecoating as the base for corrosion then coat with paint for protection and beauty.

Not here to wreak havoc on folks, just certain applications for powder aren’t preferred.

Last edited:
Still in body work purgatory. Opening every cavity to clean it out and remove rust before I start re-assembly. Found some PO had dropped a screwdriver down the post hole for the hard top. I played the most excellent… Wild Stallions! game of operation and retrieved it. No way in hell I’m letting some Philips Head screwdriver violate my restoration. I may have left it if I knew it was a JIS.

View attachment 3226158View attachment 3226159View attachment 3226160

And a couple of rust photos for fun.

View attachment 3226163View attachment 3226164

Two public service announcements: 1) do not put any undercoating or bedliner type product under your 40. It just traps water and causes more rust (my opinion, take it or leave it) and it makes repairs more difficult,. 2) this is a my bad situation. I sandblasted the tub. Don’t do that. It gets into all the seams and cavities and isn’t worth it. If I had to do over again I would have the tub chemical dipped. Oh well, next time.
It could have at least been a snap on.

@mattressking I am curious why you are against powder coating frames? I have a family 1972 F250 highboy project that we are about to crack into. The plan has been to powder coat the frame.
I’ve seen too many pretty powder coated boat trailers rot from the inside out.

I’d been waiting see if the knuckles leaked or not. I pressure washed the knuckles/axles mostly clean. The brakes had been rebuilt by the PO and it appeared the knuckles had been rebuilt. I’ve put around 500 hundred miles of road and a couple miles in 4wd to get fluids moving. A couple weeks ago, I saw a leak on the pavement and thought the axle seal had finally gone since a significant amount of fluid leaked out of the axle. During a short drive back home, I lost the front brakes. Turns out the leak was brake fluid from the front drum.
Parts in hand, I started the knuckle rebuild today and found a slightly muddy knuckle on the passenger side and a nearly empty knuckle on the drivers side. No damage to the balls in the birfield, trunion bearings were good and the inner axle seal surface looked good. Also, found some metal slivers, shavings and mud settled in the axle tube near the inner seal.

Never would have thought to check the knuckle for grease.

23B9642B-0D73-4F64-B41E-3B26E65DF9E7.jpeg

C7713D1B-C558-407F-8B98-2BA656D7E480.jpeg

I’d been waiting see if the knuckles leaked or not. I pressure washed the knuckles/axles mostly clean. The brakes had been rebuilt by the PO and it appeared the knuckles had been rebuilt. I’ve put around 500 hundred miles of road and a couple miles in 4wd to get fluids moving. A couple weeks ago, I saw a leak on the pavement and thought the axle seal had finally gone since a significant amount of fluid leaked out of the axle. During a short drive back home, I lost the front brakes. Turns out the leak was brake fluid from the front drum.
Parts in hand, I started the knuckle rebuild today and found a slightly muddy knuckle on the passenger side and a nearly empty knuckle on the drivers side. No damage to the balls in the birfield, trunion bearings were good and the inner axle seal surface looked good. Also, found some metal slivers, shavings and mud settled in the axle tube near the inner seal.

Never would have thought to check the knuckle for grease.

View attachment 3227874

View attachment 3227875
I'm the forum expert for buying a Land cruiser with dry birfields.

Which I then wheeled hard and attempted to drive across America with.

Which led me to this forum, btw....

Found this awesome Toyota part to help with the direction of the Speedo cable with the speed sensor. The short cable extension is no longer available from Toyota and wasn't the best solution as I had gone through 2 of them in 20 years. This redirects up and keeps sensor from hanging so low and keeps speedo cable away from the exhaust. It wasn't cheap, but neither are cables. I think it was for a Cressida.
20230123_204101.jpg
20230123_204136.jpg

It's been a good week for installing FJ40 parts! First though, thanks @bhsdriller for the heads up on the locally available FJ40 fine Art, I found 4 available at my local Hobby Lobby.

View attachment 3227270

I found this nice 3d printed set of cup holders to fit in my new center console. The guy had a video on youtube and then a link to his personal website where he sells them. The TOYOTA lettering is a nice touch. I want to put a spacer under it to lift it up some because my favorite coffee cup still hits the sides of the console.

View attachment 3227271

And now for what I all have been waiting for :) @hyhpe got me an air intake horn, which was the very last piece I needed to complete my air intake. It's really nice and powder coated, fanciest paint on my 40 :). I also got pieces from CruiserParts.net and CityRacer. I know it's in my head, but I swear it runs better now!

View attachment 3227273

Hope everyone has a great week!
Congrats. Finding that hose clamp and bracket is nearly impossible

I'm the forum expert for buying a Land cruiser with dry birfields.

Which I then wheeled hard and attempted to drive across America with.

Which led me to this forum, btw....
What were the results?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom