What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (47 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Building a rep @SNLC at taking on some heavy duty issues and resolving them. Solid work

🙏

It bums us out to see this, we know how and ways to make it right though. Just sucks for people that it ends up costing more $$$$ after the fact. We go to extensive lengths to educate our customers and work closely with them so this never happens. Not acceptable in my shop, period.

Cheers

@SNLC do you do V8 swaps on 80 series at your shop?

Rusty? A little. Actually only broke 1 10mm bolt while doing the axle rebuild.

So goes the journey of my rusty 80. She is still worth saving!

20210903_063920.jpg

Last edited:
🙏

It bums us out to see this, we know how and ways to make it right though. Just sucks for people that it ends up costing more $$$$ after the fact. We go to extensive lengths to educate our customers and work closely with them so this never happens. Not acceptable in my shop, period.

Cheers
To be fair, it could be a shop owner is just trusting a employee too much and is unaware of the employee cutting corners. Taking the truck back to original shop with a 3Rd party list of needed fixes may get the swap fixed for free and the shop owner resolving a employee issue. I say this because I've been in shops where the owner is a good guy, but a employee starts cutting corners. Eventually a shop owner will figure out what's going on after he gets a few comebacks. Or it could be they are intentionally letting such work go out the door, and in which case then that's bad all around and I wouldn't go back. Contacting the prior shop owner and noting his response will tell you which it is.

What is the best "standard looking" non bull bar bumper (no hoops) for an 80 series? Done a lot of searching, I didn't see much in terms of options. Looking at the OEM option, looks like it would be close to $1K, so considering aftermarket.

JDM T17 winch bumper. Simple. Very simple.

The new bumper for the 100 series is apparently one piece. There’s a place and hour and a half Away that deals in JDM. They have not shown initiative and after six calls and three emails I have given up. Looks like I will be doing the hidden winch from Slee.

I wa
@SNLC do you do V8 swaps on 80 series at your shop?
I was visiting friends/family in Boise a while back and stuck my nose in their shop. Tiny shop, crammed full, but working on a larger shop for next year. They were putting finishing touches on a V8 swap that day- extremely clean and professional work. Even as crammed as the shop was, the high quality fabrication evidence was everywhere. Best wishes to SNLC!!

To be fair, it could be a shop owner is just trusting a employee too much and is unaware of the employee cutting corners. Taking the truck back to original shop with a 3Rd party list of needed fixes may get the swap fixed for free and the shop owner resolving a employee issue. I say this because I've been in shops where the owner is a good guy, but a employee starts cutting corners. Eventually a shop owner will figure out what's going on after he gets a few comebacks. Or it could be they are intentionally letting such work go out the door, and in which case then that's bad all around and I wouldn't go back. Contacting the prior shop owner and noting his response will tell you which it is.

Every company needs someone who checks quality before whatever they are selling is delivered.

Cheers

Leads many to add one? I’ve never heard of anyone doing that. Besides there has to be one already. All that current isn’t going through the dash to the key.

Yes, all the current flows through the ignition switch and the Park/Neutral position switch before engaging the starter solenoid. This is why some 80s with fairly new starters or solenoid contacts still experience the solenoid click with no crank.

Starter Circuit.png

It has been a busy weekend trying to baseline my new project. Huge thanks to Brian who came to my rescue today and so many of the Mud posts as we tackled some functional details today.
- Replaced (or added in a couple places) all 6 pieces of belt trim, two of the internal felt trim pieces,
- Replaced the drivers inside window run gasket (first time I worked through pulling a window)
- Fixed the rear left window that sliped off the track due to the rail slipping an inch or more over time -- before and after pics below of the rail on that one.

Thanks guys!

20210905_153025.jpg
20210905_124408.jpg

Last edited:
Removed & replaced center console cover. Took a little longer than I expected - 1.5 hrs, taking my time - but great to have something much better to look at when I open the door!

View attachment 2777622

View attachment 2777623
Nicely done! I recently did the same thing in my wife's Honda pilot, center console and both door rests. Slow and steady definitely wins the race, although not too slow as you've only got so much time with that adhesive LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom