What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (80 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1997 40th project continues:

Heading to the body shop Monday for a few little OCD things I just don't have time to do myself. I did order a new grill and decided to try and match my OEM black chrome logo. The Duplicolor Shadow kit was cheap and seemed to get the job done. I only used two layers of trans black then two layers of clear. I am very pleased with the turnout.

I am doing the paint on bumper, valence, new parking lamp lenses, grill and logo so the entire front end will look new.

771270C3-3079-4D17-AE73-2952A202004A.jpeg

0AD32A40-63E9-4443-AF20-0C707D7B7AB2_1_201_a.jpeg

43B5F13A-F20A-4CE5-A0C4-DD06B71902E2_1_201_a.jpeg

I just got a new replacement grill and the plastic Crome does look terrible vs. the 97 edition. Looked at the front end of the 80 tonight with a head lamp and the front end looks hammered, ugh.Yours looks much improved in the picture. Thinking ALL the fake Crome up front needs to go though. Only place on the 80 that has it so not sure I get why it’s there.

Started pulling old OBA the PO installed a long time ago(me :rolleyes:) surved it’s purpose I suppose.While in there realized how much magniusium chloride is just tearing up the underside of the 80. WOW, Hopefully just surface damage but note to self, after playing in the snow wash off immediately....

7F6396DB-D142-4027-A1DF-5681B9258CAD.jpeg

7374C3A8-164D-41A9-8024-AF1B1DE3F80E.jpeg

F0F5A4F7-7537-4B2F-96E2-4BA80186B343.jpeg

I just got a new replacement grill and the plastic Crome does look terrible vs. the 97 edition. Looked at the front end of the 80 tonight with a head lamp and the front end looks hammered, ugh.Yours looks much improved in the picture. Thinking ALL the fake Crome up front needs to go though. Only place on the 80 that has it so not sure I get why it’s there.
New new grill came with the logo attached. It looks really nice and I almost kept the bright chrome logo, but I wanted it to be as close to original as possible. I almost changed the grill to a TOYOTA and changed the metal valance piece to make it fit right as it is coming out to be repaired and painted anyway. I decided to do it completely stock. The Black Chrome came out really nice. I guess you could buy a new grill and finish the entire grill with the black chrome. I did two coats and it is pretty close to factory.

My super generous neighbor gave me a complete W53 setup a couple of days ago and I just got it installed in my 97 LX450. I attached the slide using existing bolt holes for the third row seat anchors.

20210402_142324.jpg

20210402_133824.jpg

20210402_113320.jpg

I have 8 gauge wiring running to the back of the truck through the driver side of the body to supply power to a couple of cigarette lighter plugs ( was previously running a small 30L fridge), so I added an SAE plug like these. An inline fuse was added here inside the trim panel.

1617558394528.png

The cigarette lighter cord that comes with the fridge is quite long, and while definitely adequate in gauge to safely power the fridge, voltage droop while running was a bit more than I liked -- I am running everything off of a Northstar 27F battery and 100W Renogy solar panel and MPPT controller, so efficiency is important to me, and voltage drop kills that.

I used as much of the SAE plug 10 and 12 gauge wiring as I could and then cut the cigarette lighter cord that came with the fridge as short as possible to allow full slider range.

20210403_161340.jpg

(wow, the camera flash really makes the scratches on the trim panels look severe!)

While running, it pulls 2.87 amps. I am not sure if that will vary, but may go up if it has a higher operating mode for when the ambient temperatures are really high.

20210403_161408.jpg

The app works well, although it only operates in portrait mode, so forcing it to landscape jumbles some of the text. It is nice being able to monitor / control the fridge from the front of the vehicle with my Android tablet!

20210403_161533.jpg

Slide out!

20210403_161303.jpg

Last edited:
1997 40th project continues:

Heading to the body shop Monday for a few little OCD things I just don't have time to do myself. I did order a new grill and decided to try and match my OEM black chrome logo. The Duplicolor Shadow kit was cheap and seemed to get the job done. I only used two layers of trans black then two layers of clear. I am very pleased with the turnout.

I am doing the paint on bumper, valence, new parking lamp lenses, grill and logo so the entire front end will look new.

View attachment 2634834

View attachment 2634832

View attachment 2634833

I'm gonna have to redo my emblem now, nice!

My grill refresh process below:

4Runner 1 bar.
Screenshot_20210404-135406_Photos.jpg

Sequoia 2 bar.
Screenshot_20210404-135342_Photos.jpg

Land Cruiser 3 bar.
Duplicolor gloss black on the rest
Screenshot_20210404-134511_Photos.jpg

Put air in my tires.....they were still at 20psi from camping last weekend.
20210404_130112.jpg

Finally drove it again. Drives great.
DECD890C-B51F-4FF8-B14E-B706090A81ED.jpeg

Finished the rest of the alloy parts and got them over to the shop that's doing the new short block.View attachment 2626738
Then this happened...View attachment 2626739View attachment 2626740View attachment 2626742

View attachment 2626741
Motor is back in the chassis and the truck has finally made it home. Bought this about a month ago and blew the head gasket driving it home. Will be starting a build thread for it and will post the title here for anyone interested.
IMG958923.jpg

Can officially say I'm a land cruiser owner since I rebuilt the front end. What an interesting adventure awaited me. Kit came from the great folks at Cruiser Outfitters. Started on the passenger side and that lured me into a false sense of security. Only thing that I noticed was my grease was a bit on the chucky/crispy side in the birf.
20210319_102809.jpg

Both sides were getting new rotors and pads as well because based on when I did my rears, there were some serious grooves cut into the rotor. Also new EBC green stuff pads.
20210320_112512.jpg

Now driver side. I figured a little over 8 hours from start to finish on the passenger side wasn't bad with a lunch break thrown in to let the birf soak and get clean. My o my did I underestimate. Drive flange off, went to hit the lock nut on the spindle with the wrench, than breaker bar, nothing. Ok 1/2 inch impact should do it. Nope. Upon further inspection, the nut had backed itself off to the end of the threads and welded itself on the very top (as seen by the much larger space at the bottom). Started to round off the socket insert for the hud socket itself pretty good. Hit up @thatcabledude for some advice which directed to me Nlxtacy thread which had a similar problem. Quick chat with him and time to charge the dremel up. Almost through the nut, took a chisel to beat it off. Thankfully the end splines on the birf were not affected. Rest of the side went smooth with new hardware. My steering had some sloppiness where it would shake back and forth at times, thought I'd need a new spring in the steering wheel. That is now gone, wheel feels tight and smooth as ever and I clearly know the starting signs of a loose wheel bearing.
20210321_103854.jpg

20210402_090942.jpg

Shiny new spindle for all you folks.
20210402_125442.jpg

Met up at "The Barn" with the Olde North State Cruisers in Uwharrie, NC for our Meet and Greet Weekend Jamboree. Putting names to faces and checking out everyone's rigs. We all crowded around and stared at Wits' End's BIG ASS turbo in @Jeff Elliott LC.

Staged up at the Jamboree to show some support to the club, then @SeanLX herded the cats to hit the trails.

DSC_0004.JPG

Hit the trails and everyone was showing out. No damage to any of our vehicles, but some Jeeps couldn't say the same. While a member leaded a bottle jack to help a Jeep'r with a broke motor mount bolt, I played on "Poser Rock" for some pics.

DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG

We all got back to the barn for the potluck dinner and @Soju and his wife made Gator bites that he killed himself (Legend has it, he killed the gator with his bare hand because he thought the gator was hitting on his wife. . .that Soju is one bad man.)

After dinner, @4LowandSlow, @jrmudder92, @roadstr6 's son, and I went out for a night crawl on Dickey Bell. Packed with Jeeps trying to get their badge of honor, we watched and waited while a stock jeep burnt its clutch, a guy arguing with his girlfriend/wife that's stuck, him not listening to others trying to help, overheating, and giving kids whiplash in the backseat 🤦‍♂️

@4LowandSlow 's 80 and @jrmudder92 's 200 continuously out crawled the Jeeps on their badge earning trail.

Finally got to my driver/passenger door window motors...replaced the whole assembly in drivers door, worn down brushes and scissor mechanism....the passenger side had plenty more on the brushes so just cleaned, lubed and put back together...works great now!

did sound deadening “while in there” and custom fit JL Audio speaker in doors

View attachment 2634137

View attachment 2634139

View attachment 2634140

View attachment 2634145
any difference after installing sound deadening insulation

Met up at "The Barn" with the Olde North State Cruisers in Uwharrie, NC for our Meet and Greet Weekend Jamboree. Putting names to faces and checking out everyone's rigs. We all crowded around and stared at Wits' End's BIG ASS turbo in @Jeff Elliott LC.

Staged up at the Jamboree to show some support to the club, then @SeanLX herded the cats to hit the trails.

View attachment 2635713

Hit the trails and everyone was showing out. No damage to any of our vehicles, but some Jeeps couldn't say the same. While a member leaded a bottle jack to help a Jeep'r with a broke motor mount bolt, I played on "Poser Rock" for some pics.

View attachment 2635722View attachment 2635723View attachment 2635724View attachment 2635725

We all got back to the barn for the potluck dinner and @Soju and his wife made Gator bites that he killed himself (Legend has it, he killed the gator with his bare hand because he thought the gator was hitting on his wife. . .that Soju is one bad man.)

After dinner, @4LowandSlow, @jrmudder92, @roadstr6 's son, and I went out for a night crawl on Dickey Bell. Packed with Jeeps trying to get their badge of honor, we watched and waited while a stock jeep burnt its clutch, a guy arguing with his girlfriend/wife that's stuck, him not listening to others trying to help, overheating, and giving kids whiplash in the backseat 🤦‍♂️

@4LowandSlow 's 80 and @jrmudder92 's 200 continuously out crawled the Jeeps on their badge earning trail.
Man that was a fun night! Crazy people!

any difference after installing sound deadening insulation
I've noticed it being quieter and speakers sound better, with deeper mid/lows not tinty steel box sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom