What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Habor freight 36 bucks then a can of green cami paint
0CB3E1D4-A0B2-4595-9848-EDF2E5DCF3AF.jpeg
image.jpg

and I'm planning on mounting it here (shop towels keeping it in place), drilling 2 holes in the firewall pinch, spraying some rust-prevention, and then a simple bolt/washer/nut to keep it in place. It's a sturdy box and doesn't weigh too much, so I'm not too worried about it only being mounted on one end. If anyone has an objection to that idea, let me know, but there's no other good place I could find that wouldn't require some custom fab that I don't really want to attempt (yet)

I mounted a fuse box in the same area and didn't really like the flex I got on the end so I fabbed up a bracket. Piece of flat steel, couple bends in the vise and a couple holes.

1614971609146.png

SOOOOOOO.....the Big O tire turkey's over torqued all my wheel nuts....all at 114 or higher (ahh the joys of the new digital torque wrench that also measures break away).

They always default to the steel wheel spec, not aluminum wheel spec...WTF....I usually hand write it on the work order. :bang:

1614983461902.png

SOOOOOOO.....the Big O tire turkey's over torqued all my wheel nuts....all at 114 or higher (ahh the joys of the new digital torque wrench that also measures break away).

They always default to the steel wheel spec, not aluminum wheel spec...WTF....I usually hand write it on the work order. :bang:

View attachment 2604347

That's funny.... at Discount Tire they always use the lower spec and I have to show them my 1994 owners manual before the will torque them up to 109 ft/lb.

1614984409958.png

That's funny.... at Discount Tire they always use the lower spec and I have to show them my 1994 owners manual before the will torque them up to 109 ft/lb.
the struggle is real :doh:

Just finished putting on the hood risers from @Outsane. Doing some preventive maintenance for the supercharger before it gets hot out.

The hood rise is more subtle than I thought, which I like.

20210305_163724.jpg
20210305_175618.jpg
20210305_175633_HDR.jpg
20210305_175648.jpg
20210305_175740.jpg

Just bought my first, Hello all.
Tell us about it, plans, what you have for a background, pics of the truck.

Just keep your thick skin handy.

There's a few things I'd consider getting from HF. I don't think fuel cans would be one of them. That is unless they are display-only. :rimshot:
Yep, I had one of these and after about 100miles of dirt, the seam split and all my fuel went away. Ended up buying a Wavian as the replacement. No comparison.

Yep, I had one of these and after about 100miles of dirt, the seam split and all my fuel went away. Ended up buying a Wavian as the replacement. No comparison.
I too have wavian cans and really like them. They're tough containers and they're serviceable. Pro tip: the old school metal flexi-spout that they sell for these works wonders.

Ok. Torque question.
The lower PS bolt.
When I’m reinstalling that sucker, it actually passes all the way through to the front and there’s a nut on the other side on the timing chain cover. (Who knew??? I just found that nut randomly under the rig and thought...that’s odd...till I found this diagram)
View attachment 2603677
Does anyone know the variety of torque settings needs to do this properly:
A: mount the stud with the e10 torx
B: install nut on the front side
C install nut on the PS pump side (27ftlbs)

I’m assuming a&b are 27 too, but can only find this ref in the FSM.
View attachment 2603681
Btw. I dumped my unreliable tekton torque wrench and going digital.

That nut looks to be only 12mm and goes up against timing chain cover, so mabey 12-15ft. lbs at most...the 14mm nuts that hold the power steering on the block are 27 ft. lbs

Last edited:
Rule#1 of IH8MUD: We don't talk about IH8MUD.

Rule#2 of IH8MUD: pictures or it didn't happen.

View attachment 2604517

And like @Rusty Marlin always says.......
Welcome :flipoff2:
Thank you all.

I purchased the truck last weekend. As luck would have it my kid threw up on everyone on the ride up. We were close enough to finish the trip up but not without some lip service from the wife, as if I wanted little dude to get sick. That said, we both agreed to pick the 93, stock, 260k & green in color cruiser up this Friday. Hired a guy that will drive me up and I'll drive her back. I must say, after test driving it it has to be hands down the slowest vehicle, aside from my first big wheel I've ever driven. Solid but slow.
Chili Palmer : If you're important, people will wait.

I will give it a good look over once it's home. I did notice 2 water leaks, sunroof of course and the rear hatch. I ordered a replacement seal for the hatch and I'll check out the sunroof next weekend.

I've really enjoyed reading the post and getting familiar with this truck before even getting my hands on it full time.

I do plan on getting a lift, no more than 3", tires, l can't decide on 285 or 305 and front and rear bumpers. Will look for off road gatherings in the future. Any suggestions are welcome, old man body but with that comes a willingness to accept suggestions and criticism without a chip either way.

Thank you all.

I purchased the truck last weekend. As luck would have it my kid threw up on everyone on the ride up. We were close enough to finish the trip up but not without some lip service from the wife, as if I wanted little dude to get sick. That said, we both agreed to pick the 93, stock, 260k & green in color cruiser up this Friday. Hired a guy that will drive me up and I'll drive her back. I must say, after test driving it it has to be hands down the slowest vehicle, aside from my first big wheel I've ever driven. Solid but slow.
Chili Palmer : If you're important, people will wait.

I will give it a good look over once it's home. I did notice 2 water leaks, sunroof of course and the rear hatch. I ordered a replacement seal for the hatch and I'll check out the sunroof next weekend.

I've really enjoyed reading the post and getting familiar with this truck before even getting my hands on it full time.

I do plan on getting a lift, no more than 3", tires, l can't decide on 285 or 305 and front and rear bumpers. Will look for off road gatherings in the future. Any suggestions are welcome, old man body but with that comes a willingness to accept suggestions and criticism without a chip either way.
Check for rust on the rear hatch if its leaking - pretty common thing unfortunately. Sunroof is almost certainly just clogged drains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom