What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mn deer camp (sans deer). There is always next weekend.

20191109_105842.jpg

I snapped the passenger rear Nitro axle at Choccolocco this weekend. The ACC gang were a huge help to get me back to camp where I dropped the driveshaft before making the ~2 hour drive home in my front-wheel-drive Toyota. :steer:

IMG_4111.jpg

Last weekend after a great jaunt in the San Rafael Swell I was driving home and started to smell coolant . I was certain it was the vehicle in front of me when suddenly the smell became really bad and the temp gauge spiked. I stopped pronto & knew I had a leak but could not see from where it came. Then I remembered, from doing my pre Land Cruiser purchase research, the "pesky radiator hose". After a long night I got it on a lift and changed the thing. It took me 3 hours from lug nuts to leak check!!!! That, my friends, was not easy and not fun but at least now I know why they call it "pesky" :) As bad as it was breaking down on I-70 with no cell service I can't help but be grateful it didn't happen when I was deep in the Swell!

2B16AF08-CD13-4EC7-8A68-31D4B7E65B16.jpeg
88B6B664-68DF-434F-8A1E-078C7C1CF93B.jpeg
2E6067B0-5FD4-4F4C-931D-5AFED4743BC8.jpeg
C78EEEA4-9854-4636-92C6-68F655671C42.jpeg
Rebuilt my first transfer case all of it. Used Toyota ffip or whatever stuff torqued everything perfect only to notice this one shim left on table grrrrr disaasembles like Johnny 5

I snapped the passenger rear Nitro axle at Choccolocco this weekend. The ACC gang were a huge help to get me back to camp where I dropped the driveshaft before making the ~2 hour drive home in my front-wheel-drive Toyota. :steer:

View attachment 2129857
YUP

All new suspension bushings for my '97 with 250k miles made an enormous difference in handling. Thanks to mud for the motivation and guidance/parts #s for this work. My 80 is no longer a wallowing, wandering handful that needs constant attention and extra encouragement to keep it in a lane. The bushings were the last of my "handling" related improvements that also included new shocks, steering stabilizer, steering joints, tightening up the the steering box and checking/tightening all wheel bearings.

After installing the new bushings my steering wheel is a few degrees off (clockwise) and the truck sits higher with the bushings adding a bit more height in the rear than the front. I didn't get before/after measurements unfortunately but the height change is visibly noticeable and I can feel that the rear is higher now when sitting in the truck.

The bushing replacement required $650 in parts (oe via partsouq) and 12 hours including cleaning/painting all of the arms and a few other small jobs while I was crawling around under there. I went the route of melting out the bushing cores then cutting the shell before driving it out as I didn't want to try to push the old bushings out with my 12 ton HF press. The 12 ton HF press had no issue installing the new bushings.

Vid below shows one of my sway bar ends which was typical. The rod bushings were all in bad shape as well.

1103192122a_HDR.jpg

Sand Hollow State Park we did Milt’s mile West Rim and up to Top of the world.
2282F561-A529-418E-9CCC-45DC2466E230.jpeg
0C6B43A9-8CAC-43F4-8FC5-D2CEFE0B2994.jpeg
AFC39198-3711-4D81-9610-A79B6B774D19.jpeg
B4FE97AE-4FCE-4191-86D4-070266EFB025.jpeg
F8D146C4-6233-4184-B292-602B04053043.jpeg

Just trying to work my way through the pile of parts sitting in my garage.

Shakey mirror fix thanks to @Outsane

Replaced driver's window run thanks to @Akella , although the old one I pulled out appeared to be in pretty good shape, so I'm not too confident it will fix my crappy window performance (gets stuck in cold weather). I also have a new window motor, but looked like a bigger project than I would like to take on in a lazy saturday afternoon.

Also discovered that the drivetrain growl I was so sure was coming from the front end is actually the rear driveshaft. Greased the slip yolk an u joints and the noise got like 80% quieter. I feel quite stupid for overlooking such a basic maintenance item, but I could have sworn the noise was coming from the front. I'll try a little more grease in the slip yolk to see if it helps any more. If not, I may try to snag a used driveshaft from someone. It has gone dry a long time :doh:

FINALLY got myself some ROADSAFE RECOVERY POINTS for the 80. They look tough and are one of the first upgrades everybody should do. Just installed them yesterday. Pretty easy installation. Made a small video covering the stuff inside the box and the installation itself.

Also planned the next weekend. Seems like we go to Mammut Offroad Park here in germany. 2 other guys will join me with 2 LADA Nivas.

View attachment 2129857
rcv IF YOU WANT THEM HIT UP jASON AT OZARKOVERLANDOUTFITTERS
FINALLY got myself some ROADSAFE RECOVERY POINTS for the 80. They look tough and are one of the first upgrades everybody should do. Just installed them yesterday. Pretty easy installation. Made a small video covering the stuff inside the box and the installation itself.

Also planned the next weekend. Seems like we go to Mammut Offroad Park here in germany. 2 other guys will join me with 2 LADA Nivas.

great video subbed.

Spent the weekend bicycle touring one of my favorite 100 mile loops in Death Valley over three days and ran into a legend while I was caching water and wood... Nice chatting with ya @LandCruiserPhil . Thanks to you and your caravan for not dusting us out on the road like all the Jeeps did climbing out of Saline Valley. lol.

DVNP19_Teasers-28-2.jpg

DVNP19_Teasers-27.jpg

DVNP19_Teasers-25.jpg

DVNP19_Teasers-22.jpg

DVNP19_Teasers-24.jpg

Got my labs bumper in, can't wait to get it on the truck. Overall happy with the purchase, however I will say that I am not impressed with the powdercoat. Looks like it may have been bumped a bit during shipping and part of the powder coat is already coming off in a few places. Finish is definitely on the thin side.

IMG_5942.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom