What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (82 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that before cooking or after. That's about how rare I like to eat my elk backstraps lol. Store bought meat on the other hand.....
That’s before cooking on the communal grill center table. Incredible food. Paella like I’ve only dreamed of. May not go home with a barn find cruiser but I sure ate good. In the Morning I head to Andora to look at a 73 series.

E700C62F-7A77-402F-95BD-E8815600F9C2.jpeg

DEF625EF-8F98-4998-BDDD-DDCC80381972.jpeg

I put together a Playlist of 47 videos of the best 80 series vids Ive collected through the years.
There are some Old School guys like @Wrench @sleeoffroad @jcardona1 @nukegoat @Land Speeder plus many more I cant remember their avatar names.
Enjoy

Last edited:
Picked a great day for a coolant flush, but definitely needed it.

View attachment 1980683View attachment 1980684View attachment 1980685

Prestone flush in the fluid for a 2hr drive.
Good flush and backflush with the hose.
Another chrmical flush and distilled water for 45 min.

Also did the thermostat and discovered it was not OEM and had no passthrough valve (or whatever it is called) for constant flow.

3 more hour cycles with just distilled... Never came out clear but a huge improvement from where it was. I'm now idling at 181 compared to 195.

Went with Prestone green 50/50 premix. I think this cooling system has had too rough of a life to Transition back to red.
When you go to fill it back up with antifreeze what is the best way to get all the air out of the system ? Is there a bleeder valve anywhere ? If there is I can't find mine .

Took the kids camping in the rain.

View attachment 1981351View attachment 1981350

And put tother a cheap awning

WOW! At least you don’t have to worry about noise at night.

I took my son in the 80 to REI for the anniversary sale and spend way too much money on only a few things(shocker right?). And then the usual Sunday run to Costco and Costco gas station.....in the rain too for added gnar/technical factor.

When you go to fill it back up with antifreeze what is the best way to get all the air out of the system ? Is there a bleeder valve anywhere ? If there is I can't find mine .
No bleeder valve in the cooling system on an FZJ80. A few run/cool-off cycles with a radiator top-off in between is usually sufficient.

WOW! At least you don’t have to worry about noise at night.

I took my son in the 80 to REI for the anniversary sale and spend way too much money on only a few things(shocker right?). And then the usual Sunday run to Costco and Costco gas station.....in the rain too for added gnar/technical factor.
REI should be a banned word on MUD. They just turn around and use the money you gave them to close all your local trails and give our hobby a bad name. I'd rather hear that you bought a Jeep. :flipoff2:

REI should be a banned word on MUD. They just turn around and use the money you gave them to close all your local trails and give our hobby a bad name. I'd rather hear that you bought a Jeep. :flipoff2:

We can agree to disagree but off-roaders don’t need anyone’s help to give our hobby a bad name. The blatant disregard for safety, environment, cutting/widening of trails, the trash, the noise.....the list goes on and on. However most of the time the bad behaviors are from lame newbie offroaders(Jeep doesn’t own that title, saw plenty of 4runners and tacos driven by a$$hats) and increasingly side by sides, they are the worst!!! The side by side people think the whole f$@& forest is a OHVRA. They have no concept of tread lightly at all, they need to be shut down yesterday.

Because of that, my love of mountain biking and their quality of products I support REI whenever I can.

@Qball costo on a weekend sounds pretty gnarly.

Costco on a rainy weekend mind you! :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Went up to Pine Mountain for a day trip with friends. This trail is usually pretty easy but with the rainy winter we had it’s now a challenge. Add rain and things got interesting there was winching involved, every buddy made out safe and it was a lot of fun

and
13825835-E141-408A-83A2-14B3997C2FC9.jpeg
0727A797-157F-4749-9724-9802C9E77B64.png
4C499D4C-F22E-41D8-B1AE-CEFD759FA0BF.png

AC7E2839-ADD7-43E7-B1E6-0D50DA523208.jpeg

Last edited:
A few more pictures
90553155-B859-4362-BB97-2C1531AFD653.jpeg
91824312-B72C-4495-8979-1BC2AD73CF02.jpeg
3A2CDA42-AE96-476C-9ED9-D2A9C2342F5D.jpeg
A4D21412-F4DF-4F4A-AD23-899866161A3F.png
I know those are jeeps don't Flame me!!!!

Had nice weekend camping in the 80. It was about 150 miles each way and my 80 has been more of a local vehicle. Hit the mountains of north central PA with no trouble. Good oil pressure, water temp, and surprisingly 16 mpg. That's amazing considering I get about 11 mpg normally. I welded up a base for a sleeping platform last year and got it useable (ie: not finished) on Thursday. We packed up on Friday and hit the road. I also ordered a queen sized camping air mattress that is only 6" tall and has a cordless pump. It all worked out great, although I'll need to 'unstick' my rear sliders, figure out some screening for them and the sunroof (too many bug bites) and maybe some curtains. I also still need to paint the frame, carpet the plywood, add piano hinges, and weld up a mount to get rid of the ratchet in the under storage area. Here's some pics:
IMG_2993.jpg
IMG_2997.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg

These funnels are great for burping the coolimg system on these rigs. It makes the top of the funnel the highest point in the system instead of the heater valve on the firewall.

Amazon product ASIN B00A6AS6LY

I don't think there is a bleeder valve anywhere. It should push all the air out through the expansion tank after a few hot / cold cycles. I do find it's helpful to get it as full as possible after the flush, so I refilled the radiator and then the block (through the radiator outlet hose and the heater core junction).

These funnels are great for burping the coolimg system on these rigs. It makes the top of the funnel the highest point in the system instead of the heater valve on the firewall.

Amazon product ASIN B00A6AS6LY
no bleeder valve, usually i just jack my front up or drive up on a curb and get the radiator filler neck the highest point when filling. get to normal operation temp and you can tell when the thermostat opens and bubbles up, keep filling and top off the cap and overflow tank to the line. Watch the coolant level the next few days and add if necessary.

I did a hard shakedown on my new intercooler, going through the White Mountains, past Franconia Notch. The Cruiser cruised the passes at 75 mph in top gear with ease. Plenty of passing power and EGTs were low the whole way. Win!

i4kkNanh.jpg

JTp4b4yh.jpg

Plus 21.22 mpg!

fOiTXDnh.jpg

Making some battery cables out of 1 awg SGX.

The starter cable reads about .1 ohm on my multimeter, whereas the stock cable is reading about .2 ohms.

Not too thrilled about the contact surface area for the 90 degree lug on the engine block ground compared to stock. But it will do for now. Besides it will give me an excuse to make my own lug out of copper pipe and learn how to electroplate nickel next year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom