What did you do on your 70 series today? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ran a few trails in Uwharrie after yesterdays heavy rains. Mostly dried up, but did find a few sections rougher/more washed out than in the past. It's about an hour on the highway drive for me and this is the first long drive with the new 17" radiator fan direct drive with no fan clutch. AC blows colder especially in traffic. Normally my temp guage runs 20-30% into the span between L and H. Last summer on hot days with AC on at interstate speed it would climb up to the midway point and start higher and I'd have to back off. Today I ran about 5 miles on the interstate at 72mph with air con on, EGT's between 620-720C boost at 10-12PSI (yes burning some fuel), and my temp guage never went past 30% to the H. The fan is a drag on the engine and probably adds 30-50 degrees C to the EGT's, but the coolant temp is under control..................................Based on this and what some others have said. 17" and no fan clutch may be overkill, but a bigger than stock radiator fan seriously helps a modified diesel 70 series with engine heat issues................The whirring fan/WWII jeep sound when tooling around a parking lot also has a certain cool factor to it.
Is that a misprint or were your really seeing 1300+ degrees (F) on your pyrometer?

Your post reminds me of 2 things I have wondered about
For EGT, how hot is too hot? My temps seem to max out at 600C in my BJ74.
How accurate is the factory water temp gauge?

Took a drive up to the local ski hill last night with the dog.

IMG_20210621_201707997.jpg

Dog is my co-pilot.

IMG_20210621_203345373.jpg

The FTE motor cleaned up really well. The block is really rusty....front cover faded....valve cover is chalky.....couple pieces on the trans rusted(some bolts, spacers). I'm guessing that this motor sat in the sun for a bit at some point....probably was never covered. Not a spec of grease or dirt anywhere on it(before we cleaned it obviously). Really curious about why so much rust on the block and so little paint. Weird.

20210622_173840.jpg
20210622_174001.jpg
20210622_174020.jpg

Thanks to the generosity of a friend who sold them to me for a pittance, I replaced the black wagon wheels we had on our Troopy through Australia and Africa with new factory wheels. Much better.
New wheels 2021 copy.jpg

I was having some fuel delivery issues, I was directed toward replacing the filter top/primer since they reportedly leak and let air in. I also installed a factory prefilter on the ghetto homemade backet (PS was out of stock on the nice factory one)

Also installed the "tall 50" ammo cans on my rear swingout to put recovery/winching stuff in

65AC6A98-1387-4AA7-BCC7-D8F5EF4355A3.jpg

1EAAC653-E36D-4EB1-8DDD-4417B07BC7CD.jpg

Is that a misprint or were your really seeing 1300+ degrees (F) on your pyrometer?
No misprint. I've had 2XEGT guages so far. My alarm/beeper is set at 720C that is the point at which I evaluate and back off. I'll just assume it's accurate...............I searched quite awhile on EGT temps looking for suggestions. You get alot people say things like "I wouldn't push it" or "I'd be afraid to past"......When looking for information what temperature cast metal will fail or crack you really need facts and not feelings. The best sounding information I found was "once you get to 1450F if you hold it there very long something will give" I consider "hold it there long" more than say 8 seconds?(More than you'd cook a grenade and less than you'd run before your claymore blows). On flat road at 55-60mph 450-550C is normal. Push that up to 70 on flat road and your looking at 550-620C. Add AC and it goes up a bit. Add the big fan and it goes up a bit. Add mild rolling hills and It is more touchy............................Last summer I was driving this engine with damaged pistons due to swallowing a valve guide. Replaced the head, but was trying to get by with the pockmarked pistons(I did smooth them out with a dremel). A piece of steel valve guide was embedded in the aluminum piston and let go at the high heat and migrated to the piston edge and pinched a ring. Upon dissassembly 3Xpistons had broken rings due to previous overheats(bad radiator). I inframe rebuilt with new pistons, ceramic coated the domes, increased ring gap well into the acceptable range, and increased piston/bore gap by .002 above minimum recommended to allow for heat expansion due to higher engine load/turbo. Been running like this for a year with no issues....That said what my turbo'd 3B stands might not work for someone else.

No misprint. I've had 2XEGT guages so far. My alarm/beeper is set at 720C that is the point at which I evaluate and back off. I'll just assume it's accurate...............I searched quite awhile on EGT temps looking for suggestions. You get alot people say things like "I wouldn't push it" or "I'd be afraid to past"......When looking for information what temperature cast metal will fail or crack you really need facts and not feelings. The best sounding information I found was "once you get to 1450F if you hold it there very long something will give" I consider "hold it there long" more than say 8 seconds?(More than you'd cook a grenade and less than you'd run before your claymore blows). On flat road at 55-60mph 450-550C is normal. Push that up to 70 on flat road and your looking at 550-620C. Add AC and it goes up a bit. Add the big fan and it goes up a bit. Add mild rolling hills and It is more touchy............................Last summer I was driving this engine with damaged pistons due to swallowing a valve guide. Replaced the head, but was trying to get by with the pockmarked pistons(I did smooth them out with a dremel). A piece of steel valve guide was embedded in the aluminum piston and let go at the high heat and migrated to the piston edge and pinched a ring. Upon dissassembly 3Xpistons had broken rings due to previous overheats(bad radiator). I inframe rebuilt with new pistons, ceramic coated the domes, increased ring gap well into the acceptable range, and increased piston/bore gap by .002 above minimum recommended to allow for heat expansion due to higher engine load/turbo. Been running like this for a year with no issues....That said what my turbo'd 3B stands might not work for someone else.
I guess I've always been to conservative but ~550° (C) has always been my personal max.

Thats actually pretty impressive for a Walmart parking lot.
To be clear those are temps achieved going to and from the Wal-Mart parking lot, not in the parking lot itself. :moon:

a little corrosion abatement in the engine room.
FA16409C-5119-4C14-AD6E-CF68E93DEBD8.jpeg

98DBE561-BCCD-4697-B5F4-957FE5D84B48.jpeg

no photo's from before. just some fasteners cleaned up, throttle bellcrank, spring catches on the air box. worked some of the chalkiness off of the crossover tube and intake plenum.

saving the wiring exploration for another night. might see if i can get the clock working yet tonight. firstly, checking fuses.

8616BCB1-F555-44FE-8F1E-3197FBB93A45.jpeg

what is the time mr. woo!

unplugged, easy repair. close this evening with a win...

--r

Hope to hear about a successfull install. Better yet will be to hear that it's easy to make the electronic engine work. Good Luck!

Easy?

What is your definition of easy? 😆

Cheers

The FTE motor cleaned up really well. The block is really rusty....front cover faded....valve cover is chalky.....couple pieces on the trans rusted(some bolts, spacers). I'm guessing that this motor sat in the sun for a bit at some point....probably was never covered. Not a spec of grease or dirt anywhere on it(before we cleaned it obviously). Really curious about why so much rust on the block and so little paint. Weird.

View attachment 2711357View attachment 2711358View attachment 2711359

Coastal where it came from?

I have not seen the best paint on blocks from Toyota, hit and miss and best.

Did you really mean to say that has 8000kms?

Cheers

Coastal where it came from?

I have not seen the best paint on blocks from Toyota, hit and miss and best.

Did you really mean to say that has 8000kms?

Cheers
I picked it up near the water but not like the guy had waves crashing in his back yard....I think just being in the elements probably was the culprit of the paint loss....we have 3 motors in the shop now....they all have rusted blocks. Not quite like this one but not very nice. Oh well.....not a big deal.

Yeah, 8000 KMs. I told the guy that the miles were insanely low and if he had any idea why they were so low(he didn't)..... he then went on to say that he was a special forces guy who used diesel Cruisers where he was doing his special forces stuff.....and a lot of the trucks they used never made it to 3000KMs. Yikes. He said they would render quite a few vehicles when they were done with them, "completely useless to anyone".

Who knows what I got.....the special forces guy traded a car for it to a guy who owned a diesel shop....he was going to put a mechanical pump in it and use it in something. Wish I knew more to the story. My guess is it was a middle east take out that somehow got to the US....

Removing 30 years of oxidation and putting some new flare seals on

52C5F6DA-A100-4834-90A1-FA7C7BF66B55.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom