What did you do on your 70 series today? (46 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Re-did the existing Wilson switch as I kept burning up the dash switch with full current going through it. Added a starter relay in the engine bay and modified the dash glow light to come on when the starter relay closes.

I tried to use the factory switch only to find that that the factory system is energized normally and the factory glow switch 'opens' the circuit to energize the glow screen. So when I switched the vehicle to On, the new solenoid was energized with the factory switch, until you push it, then it would kill power and open the circuit...thought I'd bought a normally closed solenoid on accident at first.

Pretty sure I found the source of the leak. Of the four bolts, two were completely missing and one was super loose.

1E9B3311-4362-425B-8EEE-C05F55791CD4.jpeg

anyone know how to get at the two on the left hand side of the vehicle? I can barely get a nut started on the one, not sure I could even start the other!

8FADDC8C-22A5-4608-B655-96B9663FEA1E.jpeg

Pretty sure I found the source of the leak. Of the four bolts, two were completely missing and one was super loose.

View attachment 2107874

anyone know how to get at the two on the left hand side of the vehicle? I can barely get a nut started on the one, not sure I could even start the other!

View attachment 2107879

I used a 14mm (I think) ratchet spanner and took off the charge pipe if I remember.

G'Day Fella's,

Good to hear it is an easy fix Fireball ...... well kinda.

What I usually do with difficult access locations, to start nuts, is place two nuts in a Socket, and try to get the first nut started.
or
On a Ring Spanner (on the head of the ring spanner), I place some masking tape on one side, across the back and onto the other side of it. I then push a nut into the ring spanner, and push againt the nut, so it contacts and sticks to the masking tape.
This helps for a while, to stop the nut from falling out of the head of the ring spanner.
Good luck with this.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Thanks for the help guys! Im a carpenter not a mechanic so I appreciate the feedback and guidance.

I need to order some m10x1.25 nuts today. It looks like the oem nuts are just standard. No flange or lock washer? Is this correct? Should it have some locktite?

Is there a vendor here in the states?

No clue.
Not sure it’s something you’d really want as your primary wheel. They aren’t known for their ruggedness over there. Known to be cheap to replace.

Thanks for the warning Honger.

Fireball I put my turbo system back together with JIS flange nuts from McMaster-Carr.
Also, I think I got at those nuts from above as part of re-assembly process i.e. most obstacles were not yet installed.
McMaster

Exhaust/turbo leak in the engine bay is fixed!

Thanks for the advice and link to the Mcmaster hardware. I bought a bag of 50 10x1.25 nuts, dropped about 10 on the floor trying to get the two started, but finally got it sorted out. Took it for a test drive and the turbo spools quickly and easily! Dialed it into 12psi and hit about 1100 degrees on the pyro when running hard in 4th uphill.

Still a decent bit of black smoke out the tailpipe when revving the engine hard in neutral. But happy to have this sorted out with no major dramas!

Now back to finishing the wiring....

I bolted up a set of cheap LED head lights
DSCN3164.JPG

I bought them for my 40 series but I don't think they're legal on the road in new zealand, so i threw them on my bush truck
DSCN3163.JPG

Its kinda like putting lipstick on a pig
DSCN3168.JPG

But there is some decant light coming off them
DSCN3172.JPG

Cheers

It appears that some of our own were YouTube celebrities at Expo East. :)View attachment 2111207

Fun time for sure....not as many 70s as I thought would be there. Maybe 5? Saw a 75 pickup, Andrews Troopy, Nicks 77 was there(didn't see it though) and maybe some short wheel base ones. TONS of 80, 100s and 200s as you would expect and an insane amount of Tacomas. Tacoma overload. There were 3 60s that were probably the cleanest 60s that existed. Gorgeous. But the best one, and I'm biased because I have one and because I sold parts to the owner, was this one....

DSCF5405.jpg

Fun time for sure....not as many 70s as I thought would be there. Maybe 5? Saw a 75 pickup, Andrews Troopy, Nicks 77 was there(didn't see it though) and maybe some short wheel base ones. TONS of 80, 100s and 200s as you would expect and an insane amount of Tacomas. Tacoma overload. There were 3 60s that were probably the cleanest 60s that existed. Gorgeous. But the best one, and I'm biased because I have one and because I sold parts to the owner, was this one....

View attachment 2111227
Hell yeah, can't be too many 45LVs on the east coast!

Show was great this year...WAY better than last year....no rain, no mud, no freezing temps. The venue was really nice. Well organized too. Lots of vendors, incredible amount of gear, super cool trucks(camping areas had some really neat trucks), and all kinds of cool stuff. Lots to process. Got to meet Jerry from @TemboTusk which was really cool.

I left the Expo on Sunday, drove to a trail in VA, proceeded to have a fan blade break off and go thru my radiator about midway thru a 17mile trail. Not a challenging trail but challenging enough and slow going...especially with a radiator with a big gash. Was able to limp it to my folks house in NoVa about 200 miles away, ordered a radiator from Partsouq in Dubai Sunday night and by Wed at 830 AM, a new radiator was in my hands. Popped it in and drove it home to FL 900 miles without issue. Even had time to give it a good wash while waiting for the new radiator. Truck was filthy from TN still.

Camping in the Uwaharrie National Forest in NC on Thursday.....neat place.
20191010_175813.jpg

Our spot at Expo....
20191011_143600_HDR.jpg

When times were good.....before the fan and blade went their separate ways:

20191013_112846.jpg
20191013_114636_HDR.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

Hell yeah, can't be too many 45LVs on the east coast!

Maybe 20? Hard to know for sure. When I saw that one my jaw dropped and there was nothing else that mattered. I knew that truck from it's build thread and a lot of convos the owner and I had discussing things...mine was being built at the same time.

Hello,

Not sure about this but I wanted to post about it anyway.

That dreadful time of the year, safety inspection and registration renovation. I am just done with it.

During a pre-inspection check in the shop, it turned out that Chance's rear axle seals gave up. By the time the repair was complete, I had the seals, bearings, brake shoes, parking brake pads and cylinders replaced. Then I decided to replace the front axle rotors and brake pads, just for peace of mind. All the components seemed to be there since the car left the factory: it was about time for them to be replaced.

The shop says the rear axle components failed about four months ago. Interestingly, other than a sometimes slippery parking brake, I did not notice nothing wrong. Land Cruisers fail either at home or in the shop, they told me, as if to cheer me up. Thankfully, the truck passed the inspection with flying colors.

Then it was time for Purebred. One brake cylinder had a minor leak and needed replacement. It passed with flying colors as well.

After passing inspection, it was time to go to the local DMV for registration. DMVs around the world are hell on earth in my book; I expected an especially hard time because car taxes here changed this year and the revenue service took a while to publish the new values. I prepared the worst.

Surprisingly, other than a late registration fine -because of the delay with the revised tax- the process went smoothly. A nice lady from the DMV helped me a lot during the process. There is still some kindness left in that dreadful place.

So now both trucks are good for another year.

What a relief.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom