Water pump replacement on FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gonna help a buddy replace the water pump on a a 1980 FJ40 with 2F. Any tips or recommendations? Is there a video or step by step walk through in this? Looks like it just unbolts from the front of the motor? I've changed them in old Fords but this is a first on an FJ

Thanks...
agouge888

I think OEM is 180. I put some Toyota FIPG on the block side of the gasket after cleaning the surface then installed

Pull the plate off the back of the water pump and seal it yourself.

One of the guys on the forum reached out to me two years ago to have me replace the head gasket on his 40. I went by his house while en route somewhere.
Saw he had a shiny new water pump, which he indicated was the last thing his mechanic had replaced before he started seeing coolant on the back of his block and on the garage floor.🤔

Needless to say, I didn't end up doing a head gasket. Just properly sealed the pump and all was good.

Best

Mark

Last edited:
This may be redundant, be sure to drain the engine block as well.

As for installation of the new pump, this is the procedure I was told and used. I installed a very thin coat of Toyota FIPG on the pump side of the new gasket then added it the new pump. Next I applied a very thin coat of FIPG on the other side of the gasket around the water pump opening. Finally I proceeded to install the new water pump and torqued the bolts to spec. I let it sit over night before I filled the coolant system and burped it.....just my $.02 worth, and I'm no mechanic. However, after 8 months and a few thousand miles, my water pump appears to be sealed and working as designed.

Footnote: This procedure I used came from a "chupacabra".......;)

I'm a believer in what Mark said. I put a Gates pump on my F1.5 only to have it leak between the plate and pump. Just a weeper but there. Pulled it off and sealed the plate and all was good. I've got a new Airtex pump waiting to go on a 2F and I'll definitely remove & seal the plate on that one. A leak there may be rare but I won't chance it again. Too easy to remove and seal.

I'm a believer in what Mark said. I put a Gates pump on my F1.5 only to have it leak between the plate and pump. Just a weeper but there. Pulled it off and sealed the plate and all was good. I've got a new Airtex pump waiting to go on a 2F and I'll definitely remove & seal the plate on that one. A leak there may be rare but I won't chance it again. Too easy to remove and seal.

I always make sure to tell my customers things like this when they buy the parts from me.;)

Adding to this thread that I referenced and found very useful since I'm about to install this new water pump and wanted to know where to use FIPG.

Removing the back plate was pretty hard and I was wondering if perhaps the gasket came pre sealed but....no. Glad I opened it up and that it came with an extra gasket, don't think it was going to seal very well for long as it came already rusting under the gasket.

PXL_20210106_010331172.jpg

Last edited:
One of the mounting bolts- I cannot recall which one- needs thread sealant because it screws into the water jacket in the engine.

Oh man! I knew I was getting in a bit over my head! I am replacing the water pump on my '68 FJ40. I have the new one and it came with a gasket. I have cleaned the mating surfaces. I am wondering if I should remove the back plate on the pump prior to putting the pump back on. Also, should I use the TOYOTA FIPG that has been mentioned? (Where can I get it?) I do not see evidence of thread sealer on the bolts I removed. Should I use thread sealant when putting them back in? Any advice will be welcome.
RW

Yes, do everything you and this thread mentioned. 👍

Oh man! I knew I was getting in a bit over my head! I am replacing the water pump on my '68 FJ40. I have the new one and it came with a gasket. I have cleaned the mating surfaces. I am wondering if I should remove the back plate on the pump prior to putting the pump back on. Also, should I use the TOYOTA FIPG that has been mentioned? (Where can I get it?) I do not see evidence of thread sealer on the bolts I removed. Should I use thread sealant when putting them back in? Any advice will be welcome.
RW
I’ve had good luck using either the FSM or @Coolerman s method detailed on his site.

If you do pull the thermostat housing upper cover off, remember that there is an upper and a lower gasket for the thermostat. Best to buy new. Also, don't forget some anti-sieze on the thermo bolts.

Adding to this thread that I referenced and found very useful since I'm about to install this new water pump and wanted to know where to use FIPG.

Removing the back plate was pretty hard and I was wondering if perhaps the gasket came pre sealed but....no. Glad I opened it up and that it came with an extra gasket, don't think it was going to seal very well for long as it came already rusting under the gasket.

View attachment 2545339
What’s the Aisin part number of that one?

I've got a leaky radiator and water pump on an '79 FJ40 with the original 2F. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can purchase the correct pump (what I'm seeing online doesn't look anything like my current pump) and a replacement radiator?

I've looked at the aluminum radiator from Cruiser Corps and not sure I should go that route or the replace with something more "original". PartsGeek.com seems to have water pump from Aisin and API that fit, but I'm not sure how reliable that website is.

I've got a leaky radiator and water pump on an '79 FJ40 with the original 2F. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can purchase the correct pump (what I'm seeing online doesn't look anything like my current pump) and a replacement radiator?

I've looked at the aluminum radiator from Cruiser Corps and not sure I should go that route or the replace with something more "original". PartsGeek.com seems to have water pump from Aisin and API that fit, but I'm not sure how reliable that website is.
Since you posted that the online search pic doesn’t look like your part, you’ll probably get your best advice after you post a pic of your pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom