Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you happen to weigh the tundra 5 spokes vs the split TRD spokes? Been looking at those 2 wheel options, why the swap from the 5 spokes?

I didn’t. At this point not super concerned about a couple of pounds.

My 5 spoke wheels where rattle-canned and the clear coat was failing. I could have blasted and powder coated but the TRD wheels came up for $150 on Craigslist making if an easy choice.

Second paint correction
One last shine

My wife got me a full exterior detail for our wedding anniversary year and was finally able to cash it in.

One might question my sanity for spending money on a paint correction knowing it’s going to go right back on the trail. However my main concern wasn’t the pin stripes, it’s that the paint wasn’t shiny anymore. It was looking very cloudy and had a lot of microswirls.

I had low expectations but the truck turned out amazing:

F784263D-DF65-4B11-874F-8DBFF91465AF.jpeg

78CDC18A-69DD-48A2-B521-60B8AD81AD30.jpeg

6562B4A9-5181-4203-8214-05283F7A19C2.jpeg

1BD13612-3C6B-4C2D-BE5A-80A3F75FFB0D.jpeg

Last edited:
Damn, looks amazing. I've been wanting to do this since I got my black LX. Thanks for the extra inspiration!

Last edited:
Damn, looks amazing. I've been wanting to do this since I got my black LX. Thanks for the extra inspiration!
I drive a black Sequoia so it's not the same, but I just got mine detailed done and feel like I need to leave it in the garage to keep it looking shiny. Black just looks so good freshly detailed or covered in dirt and there's no in-between.

I have a 100 series LX and will eventually move to a 200 series. I had completely written off the LX 570 but your thread has completely made me reconsider. Your LX is awesome, keep going with the updates.

I have a 100 series LX and will eventually move to a 200 series. I had completely written off the LX 570 but your thread has completely made me reconsider. Your LX is awesome, keep going with the updates.

Thanks! You shouldn't write it off. It's a beast in a tuxedo, much like your 470.

ARB skid plates
Last minute improvements before summer road trip!

Idiot protection

716FDF42-ED4A-4D28-A834-531067DEA179.jpeg

Garmin Dashcam 56. Super easy to install. I plan on tapping power directly from mirror at some point, but until then I tucked in headliner and under dash.

More idiot protection

I installed a set of ARB skids for some upgraded protection. I’m aware of the design criticism of these skids due to the transmission bracket possibly deflecting and pressing against the t-case, but gosh it would take a hard hit given that the cross member is right under the transmission skid. I’m not worried

1227F881-78FA-4B6A-9EFF-D6D64DEEC1E0.jpeg

700797A4-1770-4DFF-84B9-C6A19BFB63B7.jpeg

Metaltech had these marked down below $600 which is an incredible deal. They are no doubt not as nice as Budbuilt or Slee but they are a third of the price. Easy choice for my use case.

The interface between the ARB bash plate and the transition plate on the Ironman bullbar is not great. The Ironman plate has 3 bolts, ARB only has two and I broke off a captive nut in the frame. Going to have to get creative.

Instant shade

I picked up a basic 6-ft awning from @raincityrider and mounted on the passenger side. Couldn’t have been easier with the prinsu.

EFCD3457-2C18-45D0-B4A5-14A29D4CDD70.jpeg

Do you know the total weight on the ARB skid setup? Definitely a lower cost/lighter compromise I've been considering as well.

Do you know the total weight on the ARB skid setup? Definitely a lower cost/lighter compromise I've been considering as well.
Not sure, shipping weight with pallet was 125 pounds.

I just switched from the Arbs to budbuilt. I think the weight is around 90-100 pounds total. Not too much heavier then the stock setup but provides much better protection. My reason for switching was that I wanted better (real) protection for the transfer case and fuel tank. For a mild to moderate off roader the ARBs are a great setup. The total chaos aluminum skid plates are another good option that covers to the transmission. @grinchy is running this set up with good results.

Idiot protection

View attachment 2705079

Garmin Dashcam 56. Super easy to install. I plan on tapping power directly from mirror at some point, but until then I tucked in headliner and under dash.

More idiot protection

I installed a set of ARB skids for some upgraded protection. I’m aware of the design criticism of these skids due to the transmission bracket possibly deflecting and pressing against the t-case, but gosh it would take a hard hit given that the cross member is right under the transmission skid. I’m not worried

View attachment 2705081

View attachment 2705082

Metaltech had these marked down below $600 which is an incredible deal. They are no doubt not as nice as Budbuilt or Slee but they are a third of the price. Easy choice for my use case.

The interface between the ARB bash plate and the transition plate on the Ironman bullbar is not great. The Ironman plate has 3 bolts, ARB only has two and I broke off a captive nut in the frame. Going to have to get creative.

Instant shade

I picked up a basic 6-ft awning from @raincityrider and mounted on the passenger side. Couldn’t have been easier with the prinsu.

View attachment 2705080
On the ARBs I noticed the same issue with the transmission skid bracket. I ended up not using the ARB Supplied extra thick washers/spacers that go between the cross member and the bracket. Ended up using some thick 1/8” washers and doubled them up. This allowed just enough clearance between the transfer case skid and the transmission bracket. In hindsight I probably would just leave the OEM Transfer case skid In place. I have now upgraded to budbuilts which has an amazing setup for T-case. I tried figuring out how to incorporate the BB t-case skid into the ARBs but couldn’t come up with a clean Solution.

To be clear Total Chaos has NO transfer case coverage. It covers well from front to 2nd crossmember. Basically the same length as the stock skid set.
I use an Asfir 4x4 Transfer case skid. It has a separate crossmember to support the back of it, and bolts in at the 2nd crossmember in front, where the TOtal Chaos skid ends. The Asfir 4x4 skid is not weight bearing on the transfer case.

I agree with @tbisaacs that it’s unlikely the transfer case takes a hit with ARB, but since the Transfer Case is the lowest point back there and I’m a terrible driver I went ahead and made sure it was protected from my own idiocy.

It wasn’t hard to integrate the TOtal chaos and Asfir4x4 skids together, and overall weight added was very low as they are all 1/4” aluminum. I’d do it again for sure.

DCA65E07-DEE8-4C37-8412-2F3B2813B2C1.jpeg

Road-tripped our way to Texas by way of Oregon-Idaho-Colorado-New Mexico. 2000 miles over four days with kids and wife and dogs and lots of stuff with no issues.

A couple of points of reflection:

Despite the abuse, big ass tires and the added weight, the truck rides so good. AHC is just so great. It’s so easy to soak up the miles. I actually used sport setting for a couple of long stretches of twitchy highway. I found that sport made the truck feel less wallowy, scientifically speaking.

If you don’t think you need to regear with 34”+ tires you are either in denial like I was, or you’re a flat-lander. There are some long stretches of 80mph hwy in southern Idaho and West Texas and the truck just hunts the whole time. The truck would drop below cruise control and downshift to 5th but wouldn’t be in the power band so then drop to 4th and rocket forward then shift up again. This was constant for hours at a time.

We took 84 up to Aspen and then Independence pass and the truck was just a dog with the altitude. It resorted to driving in manual mode with PWR button otherwise it just chugged.

Long story short, will prioritize 4.88s later this year and likely and e-locker. Just differentials is up the road from my place in Washington.

View attachment 2710340

Road-tripped our way to Texas by way of Oregon-Idaho-Colorado-New Mexico. 2000 miles over four days with kids and wife and dogs and lots of stuff with no issues.

Despite the abuse, big ass tires and the added weight, the truck rides so good. AHC is just so great. It’s so easy to soak up the miles. I actually used sport setting for a couple of long stretches of twitchy highway. I found that sport made the truck feel less wallowy, scientifically speaking.

If you don’t think you need to regear with 34”+ tires you are either in denial like I was, or you’re a flat-lander. There are some long stretches of 80mph hwy in southern Idaho and West Texas and the truck just hunts the whole time. The truck would drop below cruise control and downshift to 5th but wouldn’t be in the power band so then drop to 4th and rocket forward then shift up again. This was constant for hours at a time.

We took 84 up to Aspen and then Independence pass and the truck was just a dog with the altitude. It resorted to driving in manual mode with PWR button otherwise it just chugged.

Long story short, will prioritize 4.88s later this year and likely and e-locker. Just differentials is up the road from my place in Washington.
Trip to cashmere definitely recommended!

Idiot protection

View attachment 2705079

More idiot protection

View attachment 2705081

View attachment 2705082

Instant shade

View attachment 2705080
Sweet DDog House Tents Awning Brah!

Idiot protection

More idiot protection

View attachment 2705081

Darn how'd you get the skid set so cheap? Heck of a deal. I think they're back up to they're typical $800 or so now.

Darn how'd you get the skid set so cheap? Heck of a deal. I think they're back up to they're typical $800 or so now.

Luck! Metal Tech briefly had the listed < $600

1626113456268.png

View attachment 2710340

Random question,
How did you wire your DRL lights in your bumper? I Just installed my IM Premium Bumper but left the DRLs un wired for now.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom