Thinking about installing locking rear differential (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this as well as so many others. Thanks for taking the time to post it. My primary need will be snow…so far we’ve got nothing. My Chevy pickup may be the best option 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wanted to add that Eaton - as of their November 2023 catalog - now makes a front ELocker for '69-'99 40, 60, and 70 series 9.5" differentials. I would think they're the same as the Harrop offerings but from a US supply chain. Model number 14212-1. It will also work in the rear of any full float rear ends. I didn't know this when I posted above.

I plan to pull the trigger on an Auburn in the rear as soon as I can spare the cash (may be a while). Some left foot braking to trick the LSD may have gotten me unstuck a couple of winters back when the day warmed up and the snow turned to Squishee. I posted a pic in the "What have you done to your Cruiser" thread but I can't seem to find it. Someone pointed out that chains would've worked well and might have kept me from slipping into the ditch.

If you're really concerned about an Auburn (or autolocker/lunchbox) in the rear then I would opt for a rear ARB. You'd have an open diff for most driving and the locker to get you unstuck when/if you need it.

I am thankful for your update on this…..if I were to do this, it appears the ARB is the way to go. I have been in this “ mashed potato “ type snow many times. Chains help but are a pita to put on. When I lived in Vermont we used to head out to many roads that were closed from October to May and try to continue as far as we could and prove it by making fresh tracks in the snow. Hazens Notch ( Rt 58 )is one for anyone in the north east who may be familiar. Also 50 years ago the area snows were substantial

I actually dragged a set of tire chains out in December to my tractor with 48” diameter tires. They must weigh 75 lbs each but I was stuck…had no choice and they worked. I love the concept of regular driving and a locker to get unstuck. I have come to the realizations that my adventure days are done. If I’m actually out driving somewhere in those conditions and I got stuck, my Chevy pickup has a locking rear and a push button 4WD switch….that's about as much as I may do… and putting $2500 into front and rear lockers was a pipe dream as to what I might do next for my cruiser. I’m retired and while my brain thinks it’s 30, my body is a tired 71 with a brand new knee and rebuilt rotator cuff. The new thrill for me today was the surgeon told me I could use the left leg on the tractor and the Land Cruiser to help build strength….🤗 now I can take it for gas and enjoy the stares from onlookers….

If I can impress on anyone to enjoy all you can when you can, I would sit back and smile. Don’t get me wrong, I ain’t putting anything way for good, just toning down the action…from this

IMG_6704.jpeg

———— TO THIS — ——-

IMG_9358.jpeg

Last edited:
@numby ok ok… you’ve stirred the pot. Did not sleep at all last night thinking of the edit you made to your post.. and my 30 year old brain started in with me. It told my 71 year old body that it doesn’t need to do the job of R&R….bring it somewhere and have a shop do it. This debate stayed with me so far since it is 7;40 am….for about 6 hours. Found this on the ARB for anyone thinking about it

Here’s a question: why is it called TRIPLE LOCKED? Is it front axle, rear axle and then all of them together in 4WD?

@numby ok ok… you’ve stirred the pot. Did not sleep at all last night thinking of the edit you made to your post.. and my 30 year old brain started in with me. It told my 71 year old body that it doesn’t need to do the job of R&R….bring it somewhere and have a shop do it. This debate stayed with me so far since it is 7;40 am….for about 6 hours. Found this on the ARB for anyone thinking about it

Here’s a question: why is it called TRIPLE LOCKED? Is it front axle, rear axle and then all of them together in 4WD?

The term, "Triple Locked" refers to later full-time 4WD trucks with a center differential between the transmission and transfer case as well as locking differentials in each axle. 40 and 60 series trucks are part-time, and are not referred to as "triple locked." 80, 100, 200,...are sometimes referred to as "triple locked." A triple locked truck is just fancy way of saying, "I drive a full-time 4wd with front and rear lockers." All these full time trucks have a little button on the dash that effectively locks the center diff at the transfer case, so the third locker is not really anything special. It sounds good though, and to some folks that means a lot.

Great explanation @roadstr6 …. Makes more sense now…thank you

All these full time trucks have a little button on the dash that effectively locks the center diff at the transfer case, so the third locker is not really anything special. It sounds good though, and to some folks that means a lot.
that is not entirely correct...not all of the 80 series have the little button on the dash.....and fewer have the little knob under the steering wheel.

Been there with Cruiser concerns before. The advantage to retirement is that you can always get a nap after lunch. 😉 The disadvantage is that you often need one for no good reason.🥱👴

Just for further clarification...

When you shift a part-time 4WD vehicle in to 4Hi or 4Lo you , in effect, do the same thing as locking the center differential in a full time rig. Both front and rear transfercase output shafts and the driveshafts will now turn at the same speed.

I'm finding myself wanting more info on brian 's setup. How is this on-road with the hubs locked in 2WD and how much do you fight the steering in 4WD? Slick off-camber conditions?

The famous Currie guy runs an auto locker in front of his Jeep because it allows for better steering with the outer wheel freewheeling in turns. He uses a selectable ELocker in the rear. Obviously I'm spending too much time on Utoob.

Last edited:
that is not entirely correct...not all of the 80 series have the little button on the dash.....and fewer have the little knob under the steering wheel.
Semantics. The 80's that don't have the button either lock the center automatically when the transfer case is shifted into 4L or they are non-US market part-time trucks with no center diff just like the 40 and 60 series. Regardless, I think the OP gets the general idea.

Maybe consider a winch instead of lockers? Good insurance for solo cruising.

I've got an Aussie in one rig, ARB lockers in one, and OEM e-lockers in another. They are all great for different reasons, as stated previously.
Got the winch…my bigger concerns are…. I do go solo 95% of the time , nothing really dramatic and I’m also at an age where things happen. Having been stuck before and getting free was a great feeling. I was 23 back then…..I know these days it would be that much greater feeling and a greater convenience.

Semantics. The 80's that don't have the button either lock the center automatically when the transfer case is shifted into 4L or they are non-US market part-time trucks with no center diff just like the 40 and 60 series. Regardless, I think the OP gets the general idea.
Correct, CDL automatically engages in 4L unless you have done the Pin 7 mod in an 80 (I don’t know if a similar mod exists for 100’s & 200’s), in which case your CDL dash button engages the CDL in both 4H and 4L.

All that said, it pertains to the 80’s Forum.

Got the winch…my bigger concerns are…. I do go solo 95% of the time , nothing really dramatic and I’m also at an age where things happen. Having been stuck before and getting free was a great feeling. I was 23 back then…..I know these days it would be that much greater feeling and a greater convenience.
My rear locked 40 is definitely capable, though not as capable as my triple locked 80. I used to think about a front locker but my truck is in respectable condition and I’d wheel the crap out of it if I was totally locked. I’ve never used the winch on myself, it’s always been another unfortunate soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom